Kate
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Nothing was said until they drove through an open gate and past a lodge at the start of a long drive.

"Two bedroomed cottage?" Katherine asked.

Andrew chuckled. "Yes. It's a former gamekeeper's cottage on the Netherbourne Manor estate which is what we're driving through."

"Ah! Wow! Is that the manor house?"

"Yes."

"It's huge!"

"Mm. A bit big for my needs. Apparently the original family moved out after the First World War and an extremely rich man bought it and enlarged it quite considerably. I gather he was responsible for the Palladian front."

"War profiteer?"

"More than likely with all that ostentation."

They drove round the back of the manor and past a copse that hid it. On a slight rise stood Andrew's cottage. It was of flint and brick construction with a thatched roof. There were climbing roses and clematis. The small front garden had a low hedge round it. Katherine could not see the back garden. There was a wooden shed some twenty yards off to one side which she presumed was a garage.

Andrew parked by the front hedge and they both got out. Katherine stood with her back to the house and looked across the rolling parkland.

"Golly," she said. "What a heavenly setting! What a pretty cottage too! I'm envious."

"I'm pretty fond of it myself."

"I bet. How on earth did you find it?"

"Through an estate agent. I said I was looking for a secluded country cottage and this had just come in with a long let. I was very lucky."

"Telling me. It's enchanting."

"Thank you. Now come on in and repair the damage."

He led her upstairs to the spare room where there was a towel draped over the radiator which he handed to her before showing her the bathroom.

"All yours," he said. "I'll be downstairs."

"Thanks."

She was down quite quickly and looking very pretty especially as she had removed her glasses.

"Mm," said Andrew appreciatively. "Much better without your specs. You're a very pretty lady."

"Thank you," she whispered and blushed slightly which made her even prettier. "I, um, peeped into your room. I hope you don't mind."

"Not at all. Sorry about the dirty magazines."

"What?" she exclaimed. "I didn't see any."

"Ah! Well it must have been a very quick peep or Fred's been in while we were out and borrowed them."

Katherine stared at him for a moment and then gently smacked his face. "Naughty boy. Don't you dare lie to me again."

Andrew looked all contrite. "No, miss. Sorry, miss. Never again, miss."

She giggled. "Um, can I have a quick look round down here?"

"Of course. This is the entrance hall cum withdrawing room."

She snorted and then looked round. "Very attractive. Lots of books and lots of photographs. Are those your parents?"

"Yes and my younger brother and little sister."

"Your mother's beautiful."

"Inside and out"

"She looks it. Your father's not bad looking either."

"Yes. I inherited the good looks of both of them."

That elicited a further and this time derisive snort. "What's through here?"

"Dining room."

"It's not a bad size. You could get eight round that table."

"Yes. It's surprisingly big for such a small house."

"Possibly gamekeepers had lots and lots of children."

"Could well be. My grandmother's parents lived in a two up two down in the depths of rural Shropshire. She was the eldest of twelve."

"Whee!"

"Whee indeed but no television or radio, only oil lamps or candles and I'll bet neither of my great grandparents could read so what did they do on cold winter evenings?"

Katherine nodded solemnly but her eyes were twinkling. "And the kitchen?"

"Through here."

"Golly that's not a bad size either."

"No. I usually eat in here and only use the dining room on high days and holidays."

"I can imagine and this door leads back into the hall?"

"Yes."

"It's all charming, Andrew, and very practical. You're a very lucky man to live here."

"I think so. Anyway, I have a terrible thirst coming on me. How about you?"

"Yes. I feel a bit dehydrated after all those tears."

"I bet. Come on then."

They went back to the car.

"Aren't you going to lock up?"

"No. No need."

"I suppose not. It's pretty remote."

"The farm hands are pretty observant too."

"I can imagine."

They drove back over the hill and surprisingly were able to park next to Katherine's car.

"Ooh!" said Chris to Katherine as they walked up to the bar. "You've got rid of your glasses. Contact lenses?"

Katherine nodded.

"Much better. Ginger beer shandy?"

"Yes please."

Katherine was staggered. She had only been to the Trout once before and yet Chris had remembered her glasses and what she drank.

Chris poured Andrew's bitter without a word.

They took their drinks into the back garden as they had the previous Sunday and sat at a table a little way away from all the others. They both took a pull at their drinks. Katherine reached across for Andrew's hand and squeezed it gently.

"Thanks for being so understanding and comforting this morning," she said softly.

He smiled back gently. "There wasn't a lot that needed understanding. Under the circumstances the incest was entirely understandable and the fact that you loved each other to my mind exonerates you from the guilt."

She gazed at him and her eyes began to fill with tears again.

"No, sweet Kate. No more tears. You haven't drunk enough yet."

That made her laugh and the tears receded.

"The people who might deserve to feel guilty are your parents who were selfish and short-sighted but, I suspect, unwittingly so, locked up in their religion and their monastic existence.

She nodded.

"Have you been in touch with them since you left home?"

She shook her head.

"So you don't know whether they are regretting what they did."

"Not for certain but I know that Gran had a go at them and that that didn't change their minds and she hasn't said anything to me about it recently."

"OK. I think you made the right decision about Nigel but you're still in contact with him."

"Yes, Gran had him to stay while I was living there. That's when he told me that he had replied to my letter. He agreed with me but said it nearly broke his heart. At least he got on with life and got married but he's still kept in close touch."

"How do you get on with his wife."

"Very well." She smiled. "We're actually surprisingly alike."

"Looks or personality?"

"Both."

"He clearly did love you very deeply."

"Yes."

"You said that your father and Nigel both rejected you but you knew at the time that you made your vow that he had not but agreed with you that there was no future for you both together."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.