Kate - Cover

Kate

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 3

Andrew did not send off the next instalments immediately. He slept off his lunch. He felt no guilt about it as he reckoned Katherine would be doing the same. She was and in fact did not look at her computer until late having done some necessary weekend housework. The two stories were there though when she looked at her emails at ten o'clock that evening. She resisted temptation and went to bed.

She was disciplined and read Part 3 on Monday and Tuesday very nearly ringing Andrew late on Tuesday night. She restrained herself and read Part 4 on Wednesday and Thursday. She decided it was too late to ring Andrew even though she thought that both stories were excellent. Emailing was not good enough.

She did ring him on Friday evening.

"Andrew, I loved them. You are very gifted. You really ought to try and get them published."

She brushed aside his attempted reply. "Those two: his patient love and her fear that she was still not fit for him. It was really moving. As for the last! Oh, Andrew I loved it especially the subsidiary love affair."

"Thanks, Katherine. That really means a lot. The last one was based on fact although I didn't use their real names but the subsidiary love affair was fiction."

"Wasn't that a bit chancy?"

"Yes but it was a story that needed to be told and so I asked their permission.

"Is The Crown at Atheldiston a real name?"

"No but it's based on a real pub." He gave her the name of the real one.

"May I treat you to dinner there tomorrow?"

"No, Katherine, you can't afford it."

"Um, Andrew, I wasn't entirely truthful on Sunday. I can afford it. Please. If I can get a table ... Please."

"Yes please then. Let me know the timings and I'll pick you up. You're on my way this time."

"Give me ten minutes."

She rang back in less than that. "We're on. Eight."

"OK. I'll pick you up at seven which will give us half an hour for a drink before we eat. Do I have to climb the fifty-six stairs?"

"No, I'll look out for you and gallop down them."

"Don't trip."

She made a rude noise.

Andrew picked her up as arranged. It was largely a silent journey to the pub. Katherine had already said her bit about how much she had enjoyed his stories. Neither, at that stage, was prepared to talk about her being less than truthful last Sunday.

They enjoyed their evening. Their conversation ranged widely. Towards the end though Katherine became quiet and thoughtful. Andrew let her. At length she drew a deep breath.

"Andrew, I don't think we should see each other anymore. I've enjoyed the times we've spent together and I loved your stories but..." She trailed off.

"Up to you," he replied softly, "but I shall be very sad. I was thinking how well we got on together."

She nodded unhappily. "That's part of the problem. I have a past which I would feel bound to tell you about and I think, in fact I'm sure, it would throw you and the subsequent parting would be even more unpleasant."

"So why not tell me and I can make up my own mind. I may not feel that a parting is necessary unless of course you still want to."

Katherine looked at him steadily for fully half a minute. "You won't use it as the basis for one of your stories either will you?" It was a statement rather than a question and she answered it herself. "You're a special person, Andrew."

He smiled deprecatingly and shook his head. "I can't believe you want to tell me here and I don't want you to feel compromised by telling me in either of our own homes so why don't we go for a walk together tomorrow morning?"

"Where?"

"Mimbury Rings. We could meet at the Trout at ten and then I'll take you to the start. It's a twenty minute stiff climb, good views from the rings themselves and then gently back downhill to the car."

She thought again and then gave him a shy smile. "OK. Thanks, Andrew," she said so quietly he scarcely heard her.

"Right. I'll go and settle up and then take you home."

"Wrong! My treat! I'll settle up and then you can take me home."

"Yes, Miss Wilson. Sorry, Miss Wilson and thank you very much, Miss Wilson.

"Cheeky beggar!" she smiled at him.

The journey back to her flat was silent. He saw her to the door of her block of flats, thanked her again for supper and left her, no squeeze of the hand or gentle kiss. She was grateful. She was only just in control of her emotions.

Andrew drove home deep in thought. He had known there was a story behind her. He had surmised that she had had a comfortable upbringing and was therefore not that surprised that she had been able to afford to give him dinner this evening. After all librarians were not on minimum wages and as the head librarian of a library like Pitsbury's she must be earning quite a reasonable sum. It must have been her choice to live like a semi-recluse. He could only conjecture at childhood abuse, rape, some religious oddity, a criminal past ... He shrugged mentally. He would find out tomorrow. He just hoped it was something he could live with. As a barrister he would not be able to accept anything criminal although he was pretty sure it would not be.

They met as planned and Katherine slipped into Andrew's car with no more than a slightly shy smile. She was looking drawn and it was clear to him that she had not slept well. Nothing was said on the drive, which was little more than five minutes, or indeed on the way up to the Rings. Andrew led her to the top of the inner ring, the higher of the two. She looked round.

"Iron Age?"

"Yes and part of a defensive arrangement." He pointed to two more each about three miles away. "I think there's another one to the north somewhere on Donton Down but that's Ministry of Defence and out of bounds to the likes of us."

"Pretty impressive."

"Isn't it? Shall we move to the outer ring? Then we can still see the view while sitting down?"

She nodded and they moved.

They sat down side by side. Katherine twisted her hands in her lap. Andrew waited. What she was going to tell him was momentous to her and more than likely unpleasant as well. Finally, she took a deep breath and started but she never looked at him.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.