Through a Glass Dimly, Book 2
Chapter 16

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Fred continued, “We could have a small overlap of ten or fifteen minutes to give people a chance to tell their shift replacements what they are doing and explain how they are looking at things. It would allow us to work the projects we have faster. Bobby and I have been doing that while we take odd lunch times to get another half an hour of work in.” He sat down and the comments buzzed.

Lisa let them talk while she listened to the voices. She smiled. “Guys, it sounds like you’ve figured it out. We need volunteers for the other shift and whether it will be a second or third time wise. Let Jack know what you figure out. It’s getting close to lunch. Take a long lunch on the clock. Al is here with me and our door is open.”

We went into Janet’s office and waited as she finished her call. She was facing the other way. I heard her say, “That’s fine. Come by this afternoon and we’ll talk. I will introduce you to the big bosses. They’re different but are great people. Bye.”

She hung up and swung around. Lisa grinned and said, “How are we different?”

“You care about us, you care about the company being successful, and you’re involved and get us involved. If Reggie were still here and I needed help, he might have me meet a helper but I would have no say in the hiring or choosing of that person. Al just acknowledged the need and told me to go for it.

“I have an administrative person coming this afternoon who I think will work out. I have a call in to a young man for the agent spot, too. I hope you’re coming in to tell me where these new folk are going to go.”

Lisa said, “Not yet. I do have my best man working on it.” She grinned.

I said, “It won’t be instantaneous. I can’t work miracles but I’m trying to be quick.”

Janet said, “I’ll work it out until then. Lisa, do you want to meet the new hires before they’re hired?”

“Please. I want them to understand us and to know us. I will only be confirming you not second-guessing your decisions. Is there anything else you need?”

“Just a big shoe horn!” Janet laughed. “At least, we have the right problem.”

We went back up front and talked with Angela. Lisa said, “While we are increasing staff, how are you doing?”

“We’re busy but that’s a good thing. With the payables in good shape, that’s a big load off. Eventually, we might need someone but not soon. What I think you should consider for a longer term is computers and software. Some of the computers are ‘golden oldies’ and can be cranky. The software is good but not up to date.”

Lisa said, “Do we have a computer person?”

“No. Mitch has been handling things but, lately, he really hasn’t had the time. Ellen is knowledgeable but I would want Mitch to talk to her before considering turning her loose.”

“Have Mitch talk to her. He is going to be busier still. We need someone on phones and that software. Could Ellen handle those?”

“I don’t know but I will ask.”

Lisa said, “She is great on the phone but she may be wasted there. It will be interesting to find out what Mitch thinks and what she wants to do.”

In our office, I talked to Pam and Melody sorting through a couple of small issues. I returned a couple of calls including one from Maureen who wanted some time to talk financial planning. We made an appointment for next week.

We went to lunch with Lisa driving me in her car. She did enjoy that car! We returned to find that Jack had a plan for the extra shift laid out. He said, “This is primarily Red Fred’s ideas but he won’t take a supervisory position. I have his pay the same as Will and Steve and this kind of thing is why.

“Anyway, this is the plan and we will start late Sunday night with a ten minute overlap. Everyone on the new shift is a volunteer. Steve will supervise it. He’s the newer and these guys are good. They won’t need much supervising. I think he might be interested in project management. He’s been good and has picked up Al’s ideas on scheduling quickly.”

Lisa said, “What about a replacement if we move him?”

“Simple. You put a little heat on Red Fred. He would do anything for you.” He chuckled. “Of course, the rest of us would too come to think of it.”

“Tell everyone ‘thank you and great job.’ Al is meeting about the building supply place today. I have a few things to do but will be out there later.”

“Yes, ma’am.” He grinned at her and left.

Robert showed up on time with another guy, Benjamin Baker, from the SBA. Lisa and I went with them to walk through the building. We could adapt it easily for our uses. On top of that, the buildings almost touched toward the back. That would give us covered access from the original. I said, “Robert, it looks good but pricing is tough. You’ve had it for a year already. Do you want to sell it or is someone at the bank living on hope?”

Baker jumped in and said, “We don’t mind holding it. We won’t give it away.”

“I wouldn’t want you to do that, Ben. Why don’t you hold it for another year or so and we’ll talk to you then. Maybe you’ll have a different attitude. Thanks for showing it to us, Robert. If you decide to sell someday, let me know though I may no longer be interested.”

Lisa and I shook hands with each of them. Robert looked embarrassed. We headed back to our plant while they locked up. I could hear Robert say, “Why didn’t you give him a price and negotiate?”

Ben said, “He’s just a kid playing at business. He doesn’t have any authority to deal. When his dad calls, I’ll deal with him.”

Robert said, “I’m tearing our name and number off this building. We aren’t involved in this deal any more and I don’t want to be. That young man is on his own and has been. It’s his money and he can buy half this town without a hiccup. There is no father who will be calling you.” He left the guy standing there and hurried after us. He caught up with us and quietly said, “I will call his boss and get someone else on that loan who can at least be polite.” Even more quietly, he said, “They have a bit over three hundred fifty thousand in it.”

“Robert, it’s okay. I would love to know where he got the idea that Al has a father calling the shots though.”

Robert said, “Me, too. I have a suspicion. I will try to find out and let you know.”

We shrugged and went into our offices. Half an hour later, Baker showed up wanting to see the president. Ellen escorted him into our office where we were talking quietly. Lisa said, “Yes, Ellen?”

“Missus Chambers, this man is Ben Baker with the SBA. He asked to see you.”

Lisa said, “Hello again, Ben.”

“It’s Benjamin. Where is Reg? Why is the name changed?”

Lisa said, “The name is changed because Al and I bought the company from Reggie who was about to lose it due to his poor performance. We are doing quite well. I run the company. Al helps when he can take time from his company.”

He looked shocked. “I hadn’t heard of the changes. I didn’t know the situation. I just assumed that...” His voice trailed off.

Lisa said, “There are things to be said for not making assumptions. Now that you know a bit more, is there anything either of us can do for you? We do have a business to run.”

He said, “Well, we need four hundred thousand for that property.”

Lisa said, “That’s way too high and we are no longer interested. I will not deal with you.”

I said, “I don’t either. The question now is do you leave on your own or do I throw you off my property?”

He looked a little shocked. “But you need that property for expansion.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.