Through a Glass Dimly, Book 2
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Monday started as early or earlier than we had imagined. Frank would go into work and drop Pam off at our office. We dropped them off at Frank’s apartment to pick up his car while Lisa, Melody, and I went on to our office. When Pam arrived, the three of us left for CME.

We arrived as Jack was opening up shop for the day. He saw us and said, “Hi, Bosses! My daughter thinks I’m better just because I work for you two now. Your celebrity is rubbing off quite nicely.” He chuckled. I parked in an unmarked place. I said, “Jack, I’m glad she likes us. Karen is a neat person.” I smiled. “Would you do me a favor?”

He looked at me. “Of course, you’re the boss. Well, from what you said, Lisa is, but you make an acceptable sub.” He smiled broadly.

“Thanks, I think. Would you get a few of the guys from the shop and take sledge hammers to that sign?” I pointed at the sign that read, “Reserved for President.”

He grinned. “No problem! There will be no shortage of volunteers.”

I said, “The only spots that we will reserve will be handicapped and visitors.”

He smiled some more as we unlocked the office and went in. He went around back. Within a minute, I heard some whooping and hammering. I smiled.

Angela walked in. She saw the three of us and said, “I see some more changes have been made!”

Lisa said, “We just do what we need to do and what ought to be done.”

She continued after a moment. “The drink machine is now free. So is coffee. Janet is calling someone to modify the drink machine to fit the new plan.

“We are getting new furniture for Al and my office. Who else needs new furniture? I figure we might as well handle it all at one time.”

Angela looked a little shocked. She said, “I would like Reggie’s old furniture if you don’t mind. Mine is in pretty bad shape.”

“That will be fine. You and Pam make a list and don’t forget the shop offices. I bet they are really bad.”

Angela said, “Yes. Reggie wasn’t much on caring for employees. I would like to repaint in here when we can afford it.”

Lisa said, “Pick your color and we’ll get the paint and painters. Think about new carpet while you’re at it. The offices need a face-lift. Pam has some ideas for a logo. Let’s get colors and a logo going. We will have to get business cards, too. In the meantime, Al will be busy in the shop and with the engineers.”

I smiled at my newly take-charge wife, President Lisa. I headed out to the shop area. Janet was there along with Will and Steve, the other supervisors, and Jack. They all looked happy. I said, “Good morning! Let’s talk about work in progress and then put together a list for getting this place to operate better.” I hesitated for a moment. “Angela and Pam will be around looking at office equipment to put together a list for desks, chairs, along with any fixing that should be accomplished.”

Jack looked a little troubled. “We don’t have much work right now. Reggie made us hump to get it out, billed, and collected. I have a feeling he took most of the cash.”

“It doesn’t matter. He got the old checking accounts along with the name. Pam is thinking about a logo and colors since she named this enterprise. She is good at many things and that’s just a small example. I want a new sign, some painting and cleaning up. If we don’t have work, we will have work to do anyway.”

The men were coming in and clocking in but had nothing to do. Jack came and stood in front of them. “Guys, we don’t have work today but we have work to do.” They looked at him like he was crazy. He continued, “If this was the old ownership, you would be going home now. It’s happened. There’s a new owner and they have things for us to do to make things better for us.”

Pam and Angela walked in. The men noticed Angela but Pam’s beauty really got their attention. I looked at Pam. She took a deep breath. She said, “I have two projects. I have a sketch of our new logo and we need a new sign. It needs to be one we can take pride in seeing.” She took a page out of her clipboard. She showed it around. “It’s simple but effective.” She added, “I want it big enough to catch people’s eyes when they pass. Who wants to give sign making a try?”

An older man looked at her gently. “Ma’am, I think me and Bobby can make a sign like you want.” He was a giant standing well over my six feet of height and had to weigh over two hundred fifty pounds. He took the paper from her gently in his gnarled hands. He said, “How about something across the bottom?”

Pam said, “What do you have in mind?”

He said, “I suggest ‘Equipment that Works for You.’ That line tells the world that we help people.”

Pam said, “I like it. Let’s do it.”

He looked over at me and said, “Is that okay, Sir.”

I said, “Not only is it okay, it’s a wonderful idea.” He smiled at both of us. I added, “Pam, what colors did you pick?”

She said, “The background is light gray and the foreground with the logo and words would be bright red.” The older man nodded and Pam said, “What’s your name? I’m Pam, Pam Lauder.”

He said, “I’m Fred Arnold. They call me ‘Red Fred’ cause this,” as he ruffled his hair that was mostly gray, “used to be red.” He looked over. “That’s Bobby there.” He pointed at another giant who nodded shyly.

“Okay, Red Fred, you and Bobby get to working. If you need anything, let Al or me know. We’ll get you what you need.” She smiled. “Thanks. I’m looking forward to what you bring to life.”

Jack said, “If there are no other projects yet, I want to get this place cleaned up. I’m tired of working in a pigsty. If guests come, they should be able to believe that we can produce quality work.” He looked over my shoulder and said, “Hi, Mitch. Have you come to join the fun?”

I noticed from my side that Red Fred and Bobby had approached Pam and were talking to her quietly. The young man who had been addressed as, “Mitch,” came to us and held out his hand.

He said, “It’s good to meet you, sir. I’m Mitch Morris. I’m one of your engineers. Your wife sent me out here for two reasons. She said that she needs four guys to help her clean things up and she wanted me to meet you. The other engineer, Nolan Reynolds, is working on a quote that your wife says will go out today after you approve it. Sir, I’ve decided that if she says, ‘jump, ‘ I will be in the air while I ask, ‘how high?’ She is one tough lady.”

I grinned, “You ought to try living with her!” Everyone chuckled. I continued, “You never tell her to do something without telling her why.” There was some more laughter. “Of course, she’s just as passionate in private.” The chuckles were appreciative. Lisa’s beauty hadn’t been missed.

Jack started to assign men to various jobs. I went to Janet and asked, “Are there gloves available?”

She said, “Yes, but we take the cost from your pay.”

I responded, “Not any more. Gloves, safety glasses, and other safety equipment are supplied by the company for free. It’s a cost of operating.” Heads popped up at that.

I joined a group of men and began to move things around so we could figure out what was there and what should be done with it. Raw steel has sharp edges everywhere making gloves necessary. We quickly had things arranged. Jack came over and said, “Come over here. We can figure out what’s here but I want a good place for our inventory.” He looked at me and said, “It needs to be convenient and out of the work areas.” Guys, I want to put it here and we will need some racks to hold things. Kenny, Ben, weld us some matching racks. We need sixteen feet with two or three supports.” Two men nodded and went to work.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.