Business Deal
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2013 by happyhugo

Leaving the courthouse, Nora and I went over to the junk yard and into the office. "It's filthy in here! How can you stand it?"

"Hey, it is more organized than it looks. It is no different than when I bought it from my father, just more parts and stuff. I'm not paying someone to clean it up, especially when I know where everything is. As long as I have enough room on my desk for the paperwork that I have to do, I'm fine." Just then a man and his teenage son came in.

"Would you have a carburetor for a '67 Firebird?"

"I might, let me look." I started moving boxes of junk parts that were stacked nearly to the ceiling. When I got down to the next to last box, I uncovered it and sorted through a dozen carburetors. I handed him one.

"That's it, just what I need. How much?"

"Fifteen bucks would cover it. If it doesn't work, bring it back and I'll give you your money back. That's the only guarantee I can give you."

"Fair enough." The teenager looking happy was the one to hand the money to me. I took the ten and the five and put it into my pocket. The guy and his son left.

Nora asked where my account book was located so she could enter the transaction. "It's already entered. The part wasn't on inventory and the money won't be either."

"That's illegal."

"Not to me it isn't, that is if you don't squeal on me. Understand, I try to save something from every car I crush. The car that it came off of was crushed in the early 80's. There are a few more parts located here and there from the same vehicle. That kid might need something more to restore the car and his father is helping him do it. They could pay $125 for a rebuilt carburetor, but then they might not be able to afford to finish the project and then they wouldn't be working together. I'm just helping a little."

"I suppose you saved something from my car?"

"I did. That battery over there on the bench is yours and it just came off the charger. It's holding a charge so far. I can get $5 for the lead in it or I can sell it for $8 to someone that needs one and can't buy new for $65. If the battery is still up after a week, I'll sell it."

"So under our business deal you overcharged me by eight dollars, is that it?" Nora was grinning and I grinned back at her.


Two weeks later, Randy came to the house after I had just finished eating a wonderful pot roast dinner. The aroma was still there. The woman with him, Dixie, commented on it and Randy wiggled his eyebrows. After some small talk, the woman asked to see the photograph.

Dixie looked at it. "Okay Nora, tell me why you think this isn't real?"

"I have always been faithful and I wouldn't do that with anyone. That's gross, especially with two men at the same time. I look as if I'm enjoying it. My expression is all wrong. Remember, I was only ever intimate with my husband."

"Fine, let's look at some other elements in the picture. How about the room? Is that your bedroom?"

"Yes, that is our bedroom." Nora examined it closely. "Wait, that picture hasn't been on the wall for three years. It got broken when I was dusting it. That quilt on the floor is years old too."

"Good, we know this is your face and it is your room. How about how your hair is arranged? Is that the same way you had it when the picture was on the wall?"

"No it isn't, I had bangs at that time. I had them cut off a year ago."

"Let's look at your body or what we can see of it. Is there anything there that would make you think it belonged to someone else?" We were all looking at the picture. It was of a woman on the bed with two men. One man was beneath her and one man on top. We could see the whole left side of her, leg, thigh, waist, one breast, and left arm which was lying limply along beside the man on the bottom.

We could not see the faces of either man. The more you looked at the images, you had the feeling it was staged. No way to tell, but the way the people were positioned there might not be any penetration at all. Nora spoke up, "I had a scar on my left knee at the time the picture of the room was taken. It never faded very much. Would that have shown up?" Dixie asked to look at Nora's knee. It was definitely there and a portion of it should have shown in the picture.

"Why didn't you point out at least some of this to your attorney?"

"I couldn't bear to look at it and I never studied it like this. I suppose he saw what was meant to be seen. Except for the scar not being there the body could be me."

"Randy, it is my considered opinion that this picture has been manufactured. The woman, or what there is of her showing, must know what Nora looks like or maybe it was someone who was hired to model for the picture."

Randy and I both agreed. Dixie stated, "There you have it." We talked a little more about how this was accomplished. She asked Nora, "What are you going to do now?" Nora shook her head as she had no idea. "Well think about it and if there is anyway I can help, let me know."

"Thanks Randy and Dixie, how about a drink?"

Randy jumped at this, "I'm fine with that." Dixie was too. After they left Nora came into my arms for a hug. She knew I believed that she was a good woman, not like she was portrayed in the picture.

"Jack, what can I do? It is so hopeless. I don't care about what happened to me that much, but my boys think I'm a terrible mother. You should have heard them complain when they were told I couldn't see them for a long time."

"Calm down, we'll think of something." It was a depressing weekend until Sunday late afternoon. Nora was outside working on a flower bed, when the phone rang.

"Hey Jack, it's me, Randy. I was thinking about that picture. Nora looks as fine as the woman we saw in the picture, you had better keep her around. How come you hired her anyway?"

"She was broke and I needed my house cleaned. We're both happy."

"If I was into porn pictures, I'd have that picture framed and put it on my bedroom wall."

"Yeah, Sarah would like that wouldn't she."

"Damn, I'm married aren't I? Look, I've been thinking about more than the picture. You know Dixie told me that whoever did the work on it, must know Nora and what she looks like. Probably it is someone who has been around her. Nora could spot the problems when she looked close enough, but whoever did the work on the photos wouldn't have been told what it was all about. The photo geek who did the work just did as he was asked."

"How is that going to help her?"

"If you want to spend a few bucks, I know a private investigator up in the city who might find the person that did the photo work. If you supply the money, I'll contact him. He might think it was a police investigation at first. That would get you started anyway."

"Good, do it for me. I won't tell Nora until we learn something. What's the investigator's name?"

"Sam Jenkins. He was a cop in the city and took an early retirement when the chance came. He knows everyone or who to ask if he doesn't."

"How much money are we talking?"

"Probably $350 a day. If he doesn't know after three days, he won't find him. What's behind all of this? You have never explained."

I gave Randy the story that Nora had told me. "Randy, I believe every word of it. No woman should lose her kids. Especially after putting her husband through college and then being dumped when he wanted to trade up."

"You're hooked on this woman aren't you?"

"Yeah, I guess I am. She is no Jamie, but she could be."

"She does seem nice. I felt the same way when I gave her the citation, but the car she was in shouldn't have been on the road. Good luck. I'll be in touch."

Nora came in and went up and showered. When she came down, she asked. "Who were you talking to on the phone?"

"It was Randy. He thinks he might know how to find out who set up that photograph that destroyed you. I told him to go for it."

"What good does that do me?"

"Do you want your husband back? It might help if we can prove he wasn't involved."

"I absolutely don't want him back. I've lost all faith in him. I do want my boys back or at least I want them where I can visit them any time I want to."

"We'll see if we can't make it happen." I headed east in the morning with the photograph. I handed over the photo to Sam Jenkins. I explained what Dixie had said about it. I also handed over $1,000 (cash) and he put it in his pocket. No receipt was offered. Maybe he used the same bookkeeping system that I was using.

"Jack, I have a pretty good idea who might have done this. I'll hit a couple of other places that do camera work before I hit the one I'm thinking of. Word travels fast that I'm nosing around. I'll hint there might be a few bucks in it if he can prove it was him who did the work. If it is him, I'll try to get a statement on paper. I might even get a name of who he was to doing the work for."

"Fair enough. If you need more money let me know. I'll make it available."

I had a great uncle Nathan who lived here in the city. My great aunt had passed away five years ago. I came up once a month to see how he was doing. My father and mother had moved out to California, so it was left to me to keep track of the old man. He was a retired judge, retiring when he was required to at age seventy. I took Uncle Nathan out to lunch.

I gave all the information about Nora to him. How I met Nora and everything she had told me. He knew Randy through me and I told how he had brought Dixie to nail down the changes in the photo we suspected had been faked. He held his hand up as I was talking and asked, "Are you making love to her?"

I never hesitated and answered him, "Not yet, but I hope we are headed that way."

"Good, you won't ever forget Jamie, but she would be happy for you." I nodded and went back to what I was saying. I explained what Nora had done for her husband and how it had been his parents who had taken care of the twins and now had custody. Her husband had demanded she keep working. Nora wasn't too close to her in-laws, but she was thankful it was they who had the care when they were taken from her.

"Which judge handled the divorce?" I told him. "She is good and usually fair, but in family court the guidelines don't leave very much leeway as to disposition of children. But then they aren't quite as formal either." He stopped speaking and then after thinking said, "I can still practice law. I'd like to represent this Nora of yours. Do you have the address where the boys are living?"

I gave it to him. Then he said, "Bring the lady up later this week, I need to hear everything about this in her own words."

"Thanks, Uncle Nathan. Nora really misses her kids. Is there any chance she can see them when I bring her up?"

"There will be a good chance of it. I still hold a little sway in the system. If need be I will ask to be appointed an advocate for the boys. I have done that for others."


I sat down to roast pork, squash, potatoes, and lemon pie when I returned from the city. I told Nora all about my day while we were eating dinner. As dinner was being finished, I sprung this on her, "Nora, I think you will be able to visit Peter and Paul on Thursday."

I had a happy woman raining kisses all over my face. "You mean I will be able to see my kids this week?" I nodded yes.

More good news when Nora called me at the junk yard about ten Wednesday morning. "Sam Jenkins, the investigator, wants you to call him."

I called. "Hey, I got everything I said I would, except the name of the person who the work was done for. When will you be coming this way again?"

"Tomorrow, late. Would you put everything into an envelope and drop it off at my attorney's house?"

"I can do that. Uh, I had to put out another hundred dollars. Where do you want the bill sent?"

"Tell my lawyer. He will give it to you without question. No need for a receipt or paid in full either."

"Good, I like the way you do business. Who is your attorney?"

"Judge Nathan Spangler. He is my uncle."

"I'd say you know some powerful people. I never met the judge personally, but when I was on the force I had perpetrators in front of him. So, sure I'll do what you want. When you talk to him put in a good word for me." I agreed I would.

I called Nora and told her that Sam had found the person who had rigged the photo that started everything which ended her divorce. "My attorney will have everything when we get there tomorrow afternoon. I wouldn't be surprised if we will go see your boys shortly after we arrive."

I let that sink in and then I said, "Boy did you ever get a good deal when you blew that tire and smashed up your car. You get a place to sleep, a deputy to help out with advice, a private investigator and a judge to fight your battles for you."

"What do you mean a judge?"

"Nathan Spangler. He is my great uncle. That is why I think you will be seeing Peter and Paul. All this is just one more part of the good deal you cut with me. Who got the best out of this business deal anyway, you or me?"

There was silence and then Nora said, "I was beginning to hope it was more than a business deal."

"Of course it is more than a business deal and it is spilling over into something more."

"Jack, I hope you are serious. I'll even it up if it takes the rest of my life."

"Just so you are with me in the morning. Nora, listen to me. You are on my mind all day long and you are sneaking into my dreams." This was getting mushy and if I was going to say them I wanted to be next to Nora. "Hey, I'll talk to you more when I get home. I have a customer waiting on me." I didn't have a customer, but my association with Nora was moving awful fast. This would be going somewhere if I wasn't careful. But then again she was on my mind and that was no lie. The dreams I was having were not at night either, I was having them in the daytime with my eyes wide open.

My uncle was waiting for us when we arrived in the city Thursday afternoon. "Come in please." After we were comfortable he said, "Mrs. Roberts, I understand your life has been torn apart in the last year? Tell me about it."

Nora related all that had happened and then Uncle Nathan said, "Sam Jenkins gave me the file of what he found during his investigation. I have made some phone calls. I have permission to take you to your former in-laws so you can speak to your sons. It seems as if you have been the victim of some malicious intent resulting in the divorce from your husband and the loss of your sons.

"I have spoken to John Roberts, your father-in-law and his wife. They do love their grandsons very much and Peter and Paul are reasonably comfortable living there with them. I was informed the boys miss you, and that is as they should. However, Mr. and Mrs. Roberts do have custody for the time being. If you intend to sue for the return of custody it will take some time to resolve this. It also will upset the grandparents terribly and they may fight for the boys.

"I would say if we can prove that you were a victim, you should have a good chance of regaining custody of Peter and Paul. Their father apparently has taken no interest in them whatsoever." He turned to me, "I am not certain yet if George Roberts, the ex-husband was a party to the fact of you becoming a victim.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.