Just Another Day, Maybe Not - Cover

Just Another Day, Maybe Not

Copyright© 2013 by Jerrod

Chapter 6

They say a 'man's home is his castle'. When I woke up later that day, my home, my castle, my entire new life had ended for me. Leslie and Daphne both were seated and watching me. I at first was overjoyed, then, upon seeing Daphne there remembered earlier. My heart sank. Somehow, whatever I had said had made no difference I guess if Leslie did not agree with it. I guess the look on my face said more than I could put into words.

"Welcome back Princess!" I said. "This castle needs a Queen and Princess far more than a knight. It is the hardest thing I have ever done. "I will leave shortly" I said. I realized too late that I had not gotten the 'Queens' approval before I made my proclamation. I made the mistake of thinking I could just spurt things out as they came to mind. "Your being back Daphne, brought back reality to me."

Leslie and Daphne started to protest, I continued on.

"Now I wish all that you and Daphne have meant to me, the whole town in fact, had been a dream. I could re-live it over and over again. I know now it would only get worse. I love you both so much that I can not let something like that happen. We would grow to hate, mistrust, even deceive one another in some sort of struggle over power and control. I will not let that happen. If you would allow I would like some time in the town to think more clearly of what I may do and where I will go next."

Now it was Leslie's turn to look and stare. She, like me had never thought what I might say or react to her 'Royal' Decree either. It just made the point I was talking about.

I meet both of them over a note posted in a store. We had no formal wedding, nor was anything like this discussed. I thought I had found a 'family'. I was very happy. Upon reflection, I now thought of myself as some prize bull selected for stud service.

I realized that I had made my statement about not coming back after the peoples choices had already been made. That was wrong. It was just as wrong that Leslie reversed everything. Our lack of communication would continue and that was a state I did not want for us. I bowed to both of them, walking out of the castle, towards town. The last words I said was for the castle to remove me from the rooster of authorized personnel. In my mind I was never coming back. As I walked, I realized even staying in town was not a valid option. I saw Ralph tearing down the road from town.

Leslie or Daphne must have called him to talk some sense into me.

No matter what he said, the offer to rest, relax and just cool down went for naught. I finally asked him for a ride to get the evening bus. There was still time. We both knew I would not be coming back when he opened the patrol car door for me.

Looking back, that seemed so very long ago. When I think about it I still want to think of it all as just a dream. A good then a bad dream, no a nightmare even. I had been gone about nine weeks. Mom and Dad were back early from their first vacation in forty years. Dad came to me. He looked at me and I just knew something was wrong. It was, Mom was not well. They had come back to see the doctor. It was destined to be doctors before long.

I will not bore you with the horrific details, suffice it to say, Mom passed, not peacefully in her sleep, but tossing, turning and screaming out in severe pain, until she expired. That same day, Dad took a long drive, left a note under a rock, in a zip bag and drove he and his car into the lake. When I got the call to identify him, there were tears but I just knew why he did it.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.