Just Another Day, Maybe Not
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2013 by Jerrod

Up until now I had not been too inquisitive about the town, nor the previous goings on; now I began to become concerned. I had not noticed many young people in town. We had the best serving girls anyone might ask for. Add them up, there were 70 plus the six dancers, Leslie and Daphne and that was who I had concentrated on. When the subject of the 'others' arriving I got hyper I guess. Who where they? Where did the come from? How many were there? Were there any more? What else did they not tell me?

That night and even the evening meal left me very uncomfortable. I guess one's imagination can be more vivid and conjure up some far worse things than reality is. I hoped it was so. I was to find out that some of what I imagined was not what I feared it would be. Reality though, would rip out my heart and very soul. Now I really wished that this was only a dream, but it was not to be. Fate played a 'Trump Card' the game was not lost, only that hand. I don't know why I ever thought things would go smoothly, or that our new life together would go on and on. It was not to be.

At 9.15 AM Leslie had me get ready for the arrival of the 'others'. It would be an event the entire town took part in. Visions of some deep, dark, mysterious cult like thing filled my mind. Leslie's smile sort of got me back on track. We were to meet Ralph at 10:00 AM and he would drive us. Two buses would transport everyone else to the town hall, where the ceremony would take place. Oh right-oh, good people, have no doubt, it was going to be a ceremony.

We all were made ready, some seated, some standing, Old folks in wheelchairs or standing with walkers. Mothers held babies and children 1-10 or thereabout were sitting or standing on the floor. I did not see many, or any older than 12 in the room. I was soon to find out why. They began to walk in. Names, grade and a summary of what and how they had done this last year was announced. From the grade they were in, an approximate age could be determined. 237 children, grades 1 - 8 were presented. One thing was very noticeable, their deportment was excellent. All seemed to be happy and many were involved in extra activities or skill sets that seemed advanced for their age,

Next grades 9-12 were presented. All were A or B students and all seemed destined for advanced training, if not college or university then some professional skills would be developed. There were 103 of them.

College and university students received a more lengthy review. It was evident that this would be the future for the town. Our doctors, nurses, teaches, lawyers, business leaders, political, police and fire teams would be made up of professional and well-trained people. Ralph had been whispering to me about some of the summer programs and real world exposure they would be getting, as well as the reasoning that all children would attend private and public schools to see what life was like outside the town.(For you 'Left ponders', Public Schools are the more common, schools like Eaton, and Oxford are called Private Schools).

At various times, usually after grades 12 and 16, they had the opportunity to leave the town, with their parents too. Some did choose to leave. There was no stigma attached. They, however, could not return. Some who insisted they had made a poor choice were allowed to work then be promoted in the facilities operated outside. It was the only option for them. Some left again, searching for fulfillment.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.