There and Back - Cover

There and Back

Copyright© 2013 by Aquea

Chapter 85: Resolutions

As we moved forward, we fought another handful of darkspawn. I am actually getting sick of fighting darkspawn, surprise surprise. With so many of us, basically only the mages and Alistair, Oghren, and Sten got a hit in. Alistair smote – smited? – an Emissary, leaving him stunned and with precious little mana for me to gather; I gave him a nasty look, and he chuckled. There were no ogres – honestly, how do ogres even fit through the ridiculously small, winding tunnels anyway? – so the risk was actually minimal.

There were several traps I wasn't expecting: Aedan and Zev took turns disarming pit traps, flame traps, and even arrow turrets. The two rogues seemed to have some sort of competition going on for the disarming; whatever gets them through this sane, I suppose.

We did have to fight some golems, though the room filled with gas was less of a problem than predicted: Shale walked in, turned off the gas, and the golems didn't react to her at all. Then the mages froze the golems in place from outside the door, and Shale shattered them. We had to listen to disparaging comments on the weakness of flesh creatures that needed to breathe to survive, but it was worth it. There were some darkspawn corpses on the ground, so we knew that at least a few spawn had made it that far; they were the last we saw, however, and were so old and desiccated that the disgusting miasma of taint that made the rest of the Deep Roads stink was almost completely absent. It was wonderful.

The next set of golems were a little harder to take down; Oghren, with his massive hammer, and Shale were the only melee fighters able to do much damage. The mages did better – a little ice went a long way – but still. It made me worry about the fight once we reached Caridin. I mentioned my concern to Aedan, and he agreed; we began actively looking for blunt weapons for the rest of us as we walked. Alistair ended up with a mace, and the other melee fighters all either found clubs, hammers, or maces to carry as back-up weapons. They lacked the enchantments of everyone's primary gear, but were much better than chipping their blades, which was all they'd be able to do otherwise. I didn't take a blunt back-up weapon, not that it mattered much; I didn't really have the strength to hit hard enough anyway. I'd be lucky to disturb some dust if I hit a golem with something. I could barely even pick up Oghren's hammer.

The spirit anvil puzzle was a total pain. The spirits were able to shrug off a surprising amount of damage, and unlike the hack in game that I'd found, the spirit anvil was only interactable once for each spirit we killed, not four times. Which meant we had to go around, and around, and around killing spirits. And kept getting blasted with lightning while we were at it. Poor Anders had to give up on damage and just focus on healing electrical burns, even though he was one of the more effective at hurting the spirits. Luckily there were a couple of Lyrium deposits around; when he was out of mana, he could just run his fingers over the crystals and power back up.

Finally the anvil broke, and the massive, four-sided stone face-thing actually fell from where it was anchored. We defeated a final round of apparently very angry spirits, before all of us collapsed, exhausted, on the floor. We'd have paused there and had a rest, I think, except we were all nervous that somehow Branka was going to find a way to sneak around us and get to Caridin before we could. So we picked up our weary selves and worked our way toward the exit opposite of where we entered.

Down another long, narrow hallway we finally reached Caridin. The room was much like in-game; there was an enormous piece of equipment on a cliff projecting out over a river of lava below, a huge monument to those who'd been sacrificed to create the golems, and a massive, armoured golem, at least two feet taller than Shale, standing at the end of a corridor made up of deactivated golems.

We approached Caridin, who was far more surprised by our presence than we were by his; Sereda stepped forward, explaining what was happening. As expected, Branka interrupted the discussion, and she and Caridin ended up in a shouting match over the fate of the Anvil of the Void. Any uncertainties regarding my story for Oghren, Shale, or the other dwarves, were cleared up, as Caridin confirmed that dwarves were indeed used to create golems, and except in accidental cases like Caridin himself and Shale, could only function if someone held their control rod, afterwards. So they had no life, no free will, no independence whatsoever.

This, of course, offended Shale to no end, though Caridin admitted she'd known the consequences when she volunteered. But everyone was horrified to hear that people were forced to go through it after the volunteers ran out. Branka claimed she wouldn't do that ... but Caridin had tried to stop them as well. There's just no way this isn't ending in a fight.

I noticed Zev inching behind Branka while everyone talked; Aedan was more animated than usual, trying to keep attention on himself and off of the assassin. I headed over to Oghren, hoping to keep him out of the fight. Regardless of what Branka had turned into, Oghren didn't deserve to have to kill his wife. When Branka eventually got sick of arguing with Aedan, when she realised she wasn't going to get her way, she pulled out a handful of golem control rods.

Zev, expecting it, lodged a small poisoned dagger into her shoulder, through the gap in her armour, strategically paralyzing her arm and taking the control rods from her suddenly limp hand. I covered Oghren's eyes with a curse as Sereda killed the poisoned, disabled dwarf. The fight took only seconds, and everyone seemed to breathe a great sigh of relief as it was over.

Except Oghren, of course. In game, with limited dialogue options, I found it was hard to remember sometimes that we'd just killed his wife; looking at his unnaturally somber face, and watching him storm off shouting curses to the Ancestors and anyone else who would listen, it was impossible to forget. I wished there'd been something I could have done to change it ... but Branka really couldn't return to Orzammar, not ever. I let Oghren go, knowing he'd need some time before he was able to talk about it.

Finally somewhere safe, everyone took the opportunity to rest and relax. I saw Aedan and Sereda talking to Caridin, and then Aedan left the two to continue the discussion without him. We decided to camp for a night in Caridin's snug little haven, for once not needing to worry about darkspawn. There was even a sink, of sorts, with cold running water, which we used to replenish our water skins, and then take turns washing up with. When I looked surprised, Caridin reminded me Bownammar had been used by dwarves long before he'd set up his gauntlet of traps. He didn't need the water, but didn't see the point in destroying it. It wasn't possible to get truly clean, with a shallow basin of water, no soap, and no cloths, but it still felt heavenly, even cold. Even Oghren grumblingly agreed to tidy up a little bit.

"What I wouldn't give for a shower," I whined, and Alistair grinned at me in agreement.

"What's a shower?" asked Sereda. I explained, and she looked intrigued.

Afterwards, Oghren proceeded to get smashingly drunk and passed out in a corner; the rest of us curled up in our usual puppy pile and went to sleep without even setting watch. For the second night in weeks, we slept without armour, and I could feel Alistair's warm, hard body wrapped around mine. It was such a change from what I'd become accustomed to that I didn't even know what to think; I was half-inclined to roll over and do something inappropriate, due to the unfamiliar warmth that spread through me as I snuggled into his embrace. And then I remembered Aedan, my brother, was sleeping less than a metre away ... and the impulse disappeared as fast as it had come.

Waking once in the night to roll over, I noted Sereda still deep in conversation with Caridin. Part of me wanted to be suspicious, but I'd come to trust the pretty dwarf, mostly at least. If Gorim thinks she's all that, she can't be that bad... I fell asleep dreaming of golems.

Sereda and Aedan spent the next day talking with both Caridin and Shale in relative privacy. What are they talking about? Aedan would only wink at me periodically, and gave none of us the chance to corner him and ask questions. Zevran was annoyed; I could tell by the way he started flirting with me, Anders, and almost anyone else who got too close. I'd gotten used to his endless innuendos back when he'd first joined us, but they'd decreased since he and Aedan had gotten serious – he was still a tease, but it was clear it wasn't serious. Now they were back.

I sighed and dragged Zev off to the side.

"Stop it."

"What are you talking about, bella donna? Stop what?"

"This. The flirting, trying to make Aedan jealous. He's not over there getting it on with a golem, for Pete's sake. He's doing his job."

"Which involves keeping secrets from those he supposedly trusts? That's hardly encouraging."

"What's this really all about? You're usually the last one to get uptight about secrets. Especially when it's clear he's working on some plan, and you know he'll fill us in later."

He paused for a few moments, and then sighed when I fixed him with a piercing stare. "I do not like these Deep Roads. The odour is unacceptable, and the dampness objectionable. I do not like knowing there are darkspawn all around us, and sleeping in armour, in a pile for mutual comfort. I am ... sick of this. I wish to see the sun."

I hugged him, and he clung to me just a little too hard. "I know. Me too. I'm sorry, hon."

"I suppose I'd best let you go before the dirty look I'm getting from Alistair turns into something more deadly."

I squeezed one more time, then released him. "We'll be done soon. Just hold on a little longer, alright?"

He nodded and sighed, going to sit alone and sulk. I rolled my eyes and went over to plop myself into Alistair's lap.

"What's got his smalls in a twist?"

I grinned at Alistair and smoothed the wrinkle on his forehead from scowling. "Claustrophobia, I think. And perhaps ... missing privacy."

"Privacy?"

"Mmmm. I miss it too." I turned to press my front against Alistair's chest, enjoying his warmth, and ran my hands over his broad shoulders. "I miss you." I nuzzled my face into his neck. "Sometimes I think I'll lose my mind if I don't get some time alone with you."

He pulled me close, one hand splayed on my lower back, one cradling my neck. "I know what you mean. Once we get back to Orzammar, the minute we have a door we can close..."

"After a bath. Maybe two baths," I interjected, and he chuckled.

"How about in the bath?"

"Deal." I cuddled with him a while longer, relishing the contact, even if it was torturous to suppress my libido ... again.

I suggested a few rounds of sparring, and challenged Zevran to the first fight; the winner would challenge whomever he wished. And the winner, between Zev and I, was a pre-ordained fact, but I managed not to do anything stupid, and at least provide a little bit of challenge. Zevran chose Alistair next, and the two went back and forth for quite some time; it was interesting, watching the totally different styles, but somehow the two men were quite well matched. Eventually Zevran won, with a dirty trick; he put his blade to Alistair's neck as my handsome warrior cleared dust out of his eyes with a mock glare. He came to sit with me and we watched Sten, Zevran, Bel, Oghren, and even Gorim go a few rounds. Anders healed the combatants between matches, and no one challenged the mages to a duel. None of us want a lightning bolt up the arse, thanks.

At supper, Aedan finally came out to join us. Caridin had agreed to forge a crown, he informed us. Sereda was with him, describing what she wanted; I hoped it would be at least slightly more attractive than the ugly golden helmet they used in game.

Aedan had other news, as well. "Caridin is going to come back to Orzammar with us, after we destroy the Anvil of the Void."

Everyone else nodded in acceptance; my jaw dropped in shock. "He ... What?"

Aedan smirked at me. "Sereda's even more persuasive than I am. She convinced him and Shale that while new golems should not be made, there is already an army of golems to be had, if only they can be gathered from the Deep Roads and control rods can be forged. Almost every lost Thaig has dozens of deactivated golems. Caridin thinks he can wake them, or perhaps even find a way to give them sentience like he and Shale have. The darkspawn tend to ignore the golems once they're inactive, and given that Caridin's going to be relatively hard to kill, he thinks he could even go alone with minimal risk. He has pledged to find as many as he can and bring them to aid in the Blight, if he has Sereda's help and funding in researching the need for control rods."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.