The Props Master 1: Ritual Reality
Chapter 7: Innocence Lost

Copyright© 2013 to Elder Road Books

Saturday, 8 March 1969, Indianapolis City University

Wayne was puzzled. More than puzzled. He was a little pissed off. They were supposed to have a date. Judith canceled. She said she’d just started her period and felt crappy. Well, she’d certainly been acting crappy all week.

Not that he’d been great company to be around. There was all the excitement surrounding the cast being invited to England to perform, but people were just beginning to realize how much work was going to be involved. Wayne had to draw up plans for the set that the festival promised to replicate for them. They would take the props and costumes with them. Every prop and costume would have to be itemized for customs. Much of the work would be done while they were building and rehearsing Antigone. And Jim wanted to do that show with full masks. Carl, their technical consultant and designer, had already brought over a model of raked platforms for the set design. That was going to be a hassle to build, especially if Wayne was focused on mask-making.

Judith had walked with him to breakfast and classes, but had barely kissed him when they parted. In the evenings, he hadn’t seen her at all. He missed the gentle camaraderie as well as her enthusiastic loving. Well, loving without actually going all the way, Wayne reminded himself.

Damn it! It wasn’t his fault that he couldn’t afford to fly to England with her for spring break. There was no way he could come up with that money and the money for the trip in June. Still ... Maybe he should just do it anyway. He’d tell her he’d like to come with her and then let summer take care of itself.


Wayne shut down his motorcycle in the Donut World parking lot and headed inside. Lissa’s back was to him and he took a moment to appreciate her assets. Sometimes she didn’t look nearly as old as he thought she was. But, dammit, why was Judith being so standoffish after their beautiful time together last week. He’d never understand women.

“Why zee long face on my noble cavalier?” Lissa said without turning around. Wayne realized the back of the doughnut case was a mirror and she was watching him look at her rear. “Does monsieur not like what he sees?” So, this week she was a French courtesan? Unfortunately, Wayne’s French accent sounded exactly like his English accent.

“Oh, monsieur likes very much,” Wayne laughed. “But he is upset about his ... how do you say? ... mademoiselle.”

“Heere. Have café et un beignet and tell Madame Leeza all about it,” Lissa said, handing him a cup of coffee and creamers. She put his favorite old fashioned doughnuts next to the steamy drink.

“I don’t know, Lissa. I can’t seem to figure out what to do. I really love her and all, but we run hot and cold. At the moment, it looks like it’s cold.”

“Let me see if I can help,” she said as she reached across the counter and touched the charm beneath Wayne’s t-shirt. He stiffened slightly. “Relax and tell me what is really happening.”


Wayne kicked the motorcycle to life and felt its horsepower in his bloodstream. He was wide awake and knew exactly what he needed to do. He was careful driving down Shelby as there had been speed traps all along the way lately. He parked his bike at the dorm and ran in, scarcely acknowledging the monitor at the front desk. He ran to his room and grabbed his guitar. Everyone in the theatre played and sang, even though he was nowhere near as good as Glenn on the guitar. He knew the song he was going to play. He left by way of the back door. It was so weird that the women’s side door was alarmed, but the men’s wasn’t. He ran around the back of the dorm and counted the windows. Third down from the corner.

It was dark.

Wayne scrabbled around on the ground until he found a handful of pea-sized pebbles and started tossing them at the window eight feet overhead. Not too hard. He didn’t want to toss too hard and break anything, but he had to get them up there. The first pebble fell a foot short. He tossed the next one higher and it hit. Nothing happened. He kept tossing pebbles at the window, one after another, watching for a sign of life.

The curtain twitched.

Wayne dropped the pebbles and pulled his guitar around in front. The light didn’t come on, but the curtain moved again and the window slid open.

“What are you doing?” Judith whispered out the open window. Wayne answered in song.

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away.
Now it looks as though they’re here to stay.
Oh, I believe in yesterday.

He strummed. He couldn’t really do the riffs yet, but he’d learn them eventually. And he sang. He was no Paul McCartney, but it was such a simple, mournful tune that he didn’t need to be a great singer. The window opened wider and Judith leaned out over the edge. Wayne finished the song, “Oh I believe in yesterday,” and let the guitar trail of with a couple of hesitant chords. He stood there below her window looking up at Judith. She took a deep breath and he thought she was going to retreat.

“You idiot,” she said softly. He realized she was crying.

“I’m sorry, Judith.”

“How the hell are you going to get in here so I can fuck you senseless?”

“Stay right there! I’ll find a way,” he said. He spun back the way he’d come, then looked back. “Don’t go away!”

“Where would I go, you beautiful man?”

Wayne ran down to the end of the building and realized he hadn’t blocked the door open. It was locked tight.

“I need Glenn,” he whispered. “By all the powers that be, I need Glenn here, now!” Glenn’s window was on the third floor. There was no way to toss pebbles up that high.

A car careened around the corner into the parking lot and slid to a halt in the only remaining space. The door slammed and Wayne saw Glenn stumbling toward the side door. He ran to meet his friend.

“Wayne! Little buddy. I am so wasted. Can you get me into the dorm?”

“Glenn. Man! You shouldn’t be driving in this condition.”

“Couldn’t help it. I was there and bed was here. Damn! That was some good shit.”

“Amigo! I need your help. I need you to give me a boost into Judith’s room.”

“Sure ... but what about me?”

“Jordan is at the front desk. He’ll never look twice.”

“Okay. But ... I think I locked my keys in the car.”

“Here. Take mine. Crash in my room. But first come and give me a boost.”

“You’re a real friend, Wayne. Did I ever tell you that?”

A minute later they were back under Judith’s window.

“Are you still there?”

“I can’t go anywhere.”

“Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair.”

“Idiot. My hair is six inches long.”

“My buddy is six-and-a-half feet tall,” Wayne said as he stood up on Glenn’s shoulders. That got his chest above the window sill and Judith helped pull him into her room. He turned and waved to Glenn, who staggered off with Wayne’s guitar toward the dorm’s front entrance.


“Judith...” Wayne hesitated. He could feel his cock touching the moist warmth of her opening. “Honey ... I’ve never actually done this before. Show me how to make love to you.”

“Oh, babe. You’ve got a good start. Just push forward slowly. If you don’t last the first time, I’ll make sure you have lots more opportunities.” Wayne slid into her, doing his best to hold back and worried that he would hurt her.

He didn’t disgrace himself, but didn’t last long enough to get Judith off the first time. The second was a different story. And the third.

“How did you know?” Judith whispered between kisses. They were naked in her narrow bed and he was sliding into her hot core again. Daylight was seeping through the curtains. “How did you know ‘Yesterday’ is my favorite Beatles song?”

“I just took a chance. Judith, I’ve missed you,” he panted. “I think I’ve fallen in love with you. I’m so sorry I can’t go with you next week.”

“Shh. Hush, baby. Just make me feel how much you love me.”

He pushed into her again and before long they were both convinced.


Thursday, 13 March 1969

The weekend together changed them. They weren’t swearing eternal faithfulness to each other, but holding hands as they crossed campus to class and stealing kisses in the shadows became second nature. And Judith began to open up to him about her life in England.

“I’m just going to buy a ticket and come with you. Hell with everything else,” he declared Thursday night. There hadn’t been a chance for a repeat of the events of the weekend and both were horny.

“You can’t do that. It was a bad idea in the first place. I have to take care of some business that would keep me away all night at least once.”

“Sounds like monkey-business. What keeps you out all night?”

“Darling, I belong to a group that meets just once every six or seven weeks. Lately, there have been no meetings and I’ve been here since September. I got a message that advised me to be present at the equinox. I don’t know how many others will be able to make it.”

“Do you always meet at celestial events?” Wayne asked. This reminded him of something in his uncle’s book. He couldn’t figure out why he could never recall things clearly when he talked to Judith. It was as if that part of his mind got shut off.

“You are a quick study, love, and so observant. We meet at a ‘cirque of druid stones upon a forlorn moor.’”

“I’d like to meet your friends someday.”

“Somehow, I have a premonition that you will.”


Friday, 14 March 1969

On Friday afternoon, Wayne borrowed Glenn’s car to drive Judith to the airport and see her off for the holiday. They walked into the terminal in near silence. Wayne thought she seemed totally preoccupied. Still, there was a sort of sadness in their parting that they couldn’t deny. They walked to the gate where Judith checked in and received a boarding pass. Wayne was staring down the hallway when she returned to him.

“Damn!” he said and quickly turned away from the hall and embraced Judith.

“What is this all about?” she asked.

“Dr. Allen’s coming down the hall,” Wayne said. “You know, the one whose classes I slept through all last term. I don’t ever want to meet her again.” Judith looked down the hall to confirm that it was the illustrious Dr. Rebecca Allen, chair of the Sociology Department. She was checking in for the same flight, carrying her ever-present walking stick.

“Wouldn’t you know it,” she echoed Wayne in his ear. “We’re going to be flying companions.” She mashed her lips against Wayne’s and kissed him passionately as Dr. Allen passed by.

When the boarding announcement came over the speakers, they finally broke the kiss.

“Well, I’d better go,” Judith said. “Goodbye, lover.” She kissed him soundly. “Don’t get too involved with your doughnut lady late at night. I’m only going to be gone a week.” She exited down the ramp and Wayne watched her cross the field to the plane.

He’d wait.


Judith settled down in a seat in the back of the plane and watched, unnoticed, as Dr. Allen boarded and sat in the bulkhead. If she was lucky they would not meet on this flight at least. She decided to change her ticket in Boston to avoid a meeting over the Atlantic. In the meantime, she reached for her bag and pulled out the letter she received three weeks earlier.

Swordmaster
The Hart is moving. I trust you will not miss the hunt.
Blessings light and dark, The Barber.

Beneath the cryptic signature was the sigil of the High Priest of Carles.

Judith shuddered. The information was certainly correct. The Hart sat just twenty rows ahead of her as they flew east from Indiana. Why would The Barber be so interested in having Judith back for the event? If anything, her less than open-armed treatment of him over the past two years had alienated him. But she had, after all, inadvertently started this stupid hunt. Still, he gave her the creeps, inside the circle and out. He had designs, all right; and an idea that every woman in the circle should be part of his private harem. Possibly the men, too. It disturbed her further that he knew where she was and how to reach her. She hadn’t even told her mother where she’d be.

She put the letter back in her bag and settled back to sleep as much as possible before she arrived in England.


Rebecca Allen was, indeed, journeying to the stone circle called Carles Castlerigg, but she had no intentions of calling the cildru, or coven members. She would talk to the High Priestess and have herself released from this task. Something malevolent hung in the air about the whole thing. Since Samhain, her rituals were disquieted, and there was the discreet warning to her, concealed as it was in a student’s term paper. She was sure that came from one of her coven sisters or brothers. After that, her Yule ritual had seemed empty, even as she acknowledged the end of the sun’s downward journey and its impending return. At Imbolc, when she attempted to truly raise power for the first time in fifteen years, she was answered with cold silence. Now she was only thirteen weeks from the required completion of her task and she was no further than when she began. Rebecca was going to her priestess to confess her impotence and to resign her task.

She fought back tears as the BOAC Boeing 707 jet soared above the Atlantic. Resigning a task of the circle was no simple matter of saying that she quit. For all her reluctance to raise power in her rituals, Rebecca had built a life around the simple pagan festivals into which she had been initiated when a young woman. They fed her with hope and faith. They supported her through a world of trials. And she believed them.

At one time, she had experienced massive surges of power, had called down fire, had healed, and had let that power control her in an unexpected sealing of her husband’s fate. She swore to herself that she would not raise that kind of power again. And now when she had need of it, she found that she could not raise the power.

On Oester evening, when dark and light were equal, she would walk as a solitary to the great stone circle. There, she would lay down her staff, her knife, her cup, and her pentacles. She would bring the one tool of Cobhan Carles that she did have, the Cup—Cottus, the Third Face of Carles—to the center of the circle and drain its salty water on the ground. She would remove her ritual robe, the robe of her quest, and lay it with the other artifacts. Last, she would lay the string, the measure of her height, heart, and head, marked with a drop of her own blood, in the center of the pile. And naked, as she had first entered the circle, she would leave through the great northern gate, never to return.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.