Somewhere in Time - Pocket Watch - Cover

Somewhere in Time - Pocket Watch

Copyright© 2013 by MattHHelm

Chapter 11

There was a slight ledge outside the window, but it was too narrow for me to use to move away from the flames. I looked around the room. It was beginning to fill with smoke. I took my bandanna and put it over my face after wetting it in the pitcher of water that was on the table. I went to the door put my hand on it. It was hot, so I knew better than to open it. My only recourse was to try to break through the wall. This room had a small stove in the front corner on the other side of the window. There was a poker in a little stand beside it. I took the poker and started beating on the wall.

The plaster on the wall began flying away and I found the thin-boarded slats that formed the foundation for the plaster. The wall was thin, and I had broken some of other room's slats in my attempt to remove the plaster. The studs were about two feet apart, which would give me enough room to get through. I was able to kick through the wall to get into the other room once I removed the boards from my side. I quickly went over to the door and put my hand on it. It was hot, and so I knew I had to do the same thing one more time. I found that door wasn't hot once I got through the second wall. I carefully opened it, hoping to avoid a back draft.

Luck was with me, and I was able to get the door open. I looked to my right, and the whole hallway was ablaze. I saw a stairwell to my left and ran for it. It was open all the way down and I took the stairs two or three at a time. Smoke was progressively filling the building and it was blacker and blacker as I descended. My eyes stung and the handkerchief was no longer filtering the acrid smoke. I burst out the door, coughing and hacking.

The girl from the room had somehow secured a blanket. She rushed to put it around me. It was damp and cool. I suggested we move away from the inferno. She signaled to her sisters and they joined us. We crossed the street and I took them inside the café. The waiter came over and asked my pleasure. I ordered breakfast platters for the four young ladies. He graciously accepted my order and hurried off to the kitchen.

Only then did I realize that I could have just used the watch to move to safety at the end of the hall. I got a chance to look over the young ladies in the meantime. All four of them were ginger-haired, and all four of them had blue eyes. Their eyes were so blue that they sparkled. I looked at the oldest more closely this time, and discovered she was hiding quite a figure underneath her clothing, and the next oldest one was starting to imitate her sister.

The girl's eyes bugged out when they saw the amount of food that was on the platters that were placed before them. I would have been willing to bet that they hadn't eaten well at all since their mother had died. The oldest sister said grace before they started eating, however. I bowed my head along with the other sisters. The waiter had provided some sort of juice made of a fruit that I didn't recognize. The girls readily drank it, however, and smacked their lips in appreciation.

I discovered their names were Lora, Lana, Lisa, and Lizette. They all called Lizette, Lizzy. What surprised me were their ages. Lora is seventeen, Lana is fifteen, Lisa is thirteen, and Lizzy seven. There had also been two boys in the family, but they had died in the typhus outbreak a year ago. They were Larry and Lonnie, and would have been between Lisa and Lizzy in age.

It was now obvious that there would be no place for them to go, so I made an executive decision. There was room at the ranch, so I invited them to come stay with us for a while. Lizzy clapped her hands with happiness. Lisa and Lana both blushed. Lora moved closer and put her hand on mine. I knew it was just gratitude. I smiled at her and saw her in a new light. The worry lines were gone. Her smile was captivating, her eyes glistened. They were watering and I turned away so I wouldn't embarrass her. I took another quick glance at her bodice as I turned. It seemed to have filled out more now that she wasn't standing slump shouldered anymore.

I asked them to stay there and I would be back. I called the waiter over. I told him to give them anything else they might ask for and paid him two dollars in advance. I knew they would be well cared for. I noticed that the fire department had brought in some heavy ladders as I exited the building, and they were fighting the fire from the roof and windows. They just might save the building. I still doubted it. I trotted back to the lawyer's office and picked up the deed. I placed that in my inner pocket.

I mounted my horse and rode him around the courthouse. There was a stable to the south on the square. I went there and asked if he had a wagon to rent. He did indeed have a nice one. I told him I needed it to go out to the Phillips' ranch. He knew the Ranger personally and asked my business. He was overjoyed to hear I'd purchased the land next to the Phillips' place. I told the man I'd leave my horse as security, but he told me there wasn't a need. In fact, he said he would send his stable boy to fetch the wagon tomorrow.

I paid the man his due and affixed a lead from the wagon to the bit ring on my horse's bridle. I waved as I drove off. I approached the intersection where the café and burning building were located. I turned away from the building at the corner because the smell of smoke from the fire was spooking the horses. I drove them far enough so they calmed down a bit, and walked back to the café. I found that all four girls had ordered a serving of apple crisp. It looked so good that I asked the waiter to also bring me one. I got some of the fruit drink, too.

The kids had it nailed. It was good! So was the apple crisp. I was tempted to get another order, but thought better of it. I settled up with the waiter instead. The total was a dollar and sixty-five cents and I told him to keep the change again. I ensured good service whenever I came in that café. I shepherded the girls down the street and around the corner. I glanced back and it looked like the fire department almost had the fire out. Yay! Score one for our side.

I helped the girls into the wagon, and insisted that Lizzy ride on the seat with me. The others sat in the bed without complaint. We set out for the ranch and arrived around two in the afternoon. Audrey was sweeping the porch and noticed that I was carrying passengers. She opened the door and called out. The next minute saw my six women filling the rail of the porch as I drove forward. I pulled the wagon up and jumped down. I helped Lizzy down while the others got out the back of the wagon. I held hands with Lizzy as we headed up the walk to the stairs. Up we went and I pulled Lizzy close when we reached to porch.

Lisa, Lora, and Lana came up and stood together a little away from us. I began by introducing the girls to my wives, then came the moment of truth.

Lizzy spoke before I could start. "Which one of these pretty ladies is your wife?"

I chuckled. "Well, I have a secret, Lizzy. Can you keep a secret?"

She nodded seriously, or at least had a serious look on her face. I knelt down to get close. I cupped my hand and whispered in her ear. Her eyes grew big and her hand shot up to her open mouth.

"Really?" she whispered.

I nodded with a grin.

"Yes, really," I whispered back, so everyone else could hear me.

"Should you tell them?" she whispered back.

"I think it'll be all right," I whispered in reply.

I stood up again. "Now then, this is Jackie, Rebecca, Ginny, Becca, Clementine, and Susannah Appleby."

"Oh," Lana exclaimed, "Are they sisters like us?"

"In a way," I replied, "They are sister-wives. They are all my wives."

Three jaws dropped as one. The look on their faces was precious. They spluttered and fussed, and my wives started laughing. Lana and Lisa also started laughing once they saw the humor in it. Lora was silent and there was a tear forming in her eye.

"So, what ... are you one of those Mormon people?" Lora asked.

"No, we're just a close and loving family. Not too much different than your family," Jackie explained. My wives split up and personally welcomed the sisters to our home. We all went inside and Rebecca gave the girls a tour while setting up the sleeping arrangements. Lora got her own room down the hall from our bedroom, while the three younger were placed in the dormitory on the top floor. There were six single beds in each of the dorms, which were brightly decorated and perfect for the age groups.

Each girl thought the accommodations were outstanding. Lizzy would be in her own bed for the first time in her life. She selected the one between Lana and Lisa. There was a dresser for each bed and each girl took her meager belongings and placed them in the top drawer. Jackie noted that Lora was last and the only thing left in the suitcase was a tattered dress and the pictures.

Jackie introduced them to the indoor facilities and suggested they take a long hot shower. Jackie went to find me while they were enjoying the shower. She told me about their clothing situation and asked what we could do about it. I suggested we go back a week, and go to Waco to do some shopping. Jackie smiled and kissed me, holding my hand against her as we kissed. I operated the watch and we instantly transferred to Waco. I had us come into the twilight so we could pick out where we would appear. I found that there was an alley near one of the mercantiles. I pushed the set button once we were in the alley, and we appeared. We walked around the corner and entered the store.

Jackie told me to wait over by the counter and she would bring the purchases to me. This store worked in conjunction with the dressmaker next door, and carried a large selection of ready made dresses. She picked up four dresses in each of the needed sizes. She was going by the sizes her sister wives wore. The only one she'd need help with was for Lizzy. The seamstress was called in to assist.

I described her as best I could and I knew where she came in height compared to me. That was all that the woman needed. Four more dresses joined our purchases. Jackie bought slips and undergarments for all. She also bought several bolts of cloth and sewing supplies for making more. I tossed a lot of hard candy in. I paid the owner with some of my Double Eagles once totaled. We waited while the merchant and his assistant wrapped the purchases up. Jackie had them bundled by size. We ended up with four bundles and they were marked for each girl.

We each carried two bundles as we left the store. We headed towards the alley. I just happened to glance into the window of the store as we passed. I noted that we were being followed. I told Jackie to keep walking forward but to hold both packages in front of her using just her left hand. I told her to get her gun in her right and keep it hidden behind the packages. I hefted my packages up and mimicked what I had suggested. My gun was in the fast draw shoulder holster and I was ready. I whispered to Jackie. I told her we would stop once we were past the alley and we'd turn around as if we'd forgotten something.

We stepped up on the sidewalk and stopped. I said 'I forgot' out loud and we turned. Sure enough, two layabouts were about ten yards behind us. It was too late for them to change course, so they stepped forward and off the sidewalk.

"Excuse me, Sir," I began, "Could you direct me to the nearest tonsorial parlor? My wife insists I get a haircut."

The question threw the men off.

"Ahh, err, stand where you are." The first man demanded as he attempted to draw his weapon. We dropped our packages and pointed our guns at the men. They saw our guns already drawn and the first continued to try to draw. I placed a shot in his left foot. His gun went flying as he hopped around. The other man stood stock still with his hands high in the air. The shot worked to bring a crowd. They stood back, but were eager to see any action that might occur.

I shortly heard someone demanding that the crowd make way. The crowd parted in the next moment, and a man with a star stepped into the arena. He was identified as a Deputy Sheriff. He looked like your typical Deputy, short, fat with a slovenly appearance. Shifty eyes and a sneer on his face rounded out the picture. He demanded that we drop our guns. I shook my head no. I told him that those men attempted a daylight holdup and had been outwitted. The Deputy disputed that as the second man told him they were minding their own business, and that I just shot Tom. I said that maybe the Sheriff needed to be called.

The Deputy said he was the law and what he said goes. I was to drop my gun and stand ready to be taken in. I declined as I turned my weapon towards the Deputy and drew my backup. I told him not to move and asked if someone in the crowd would go fetch the Sheriff. A young boy around twelve years old ran off. The deputy blustered about and tried to appeal to the crowd to help in the meantime. They were not inclined to do that for some reason. A tall man with a star soon appeared.

"J.W. Hogg, McLennan County Sheriff," he announced, "What in the holy hell is going on here?"

Jackie jumped in before the Deputy could start his lies.

"Why, Sheriff, I'm so glad you came." She was putting it on pretty thick. She crushed her arms close to her sides, accentuating her more than ample assets for the man. "My husband and I had just finished shopping at the mercantile. We were walking along when he forgot to ask the merchant something. We turned and saw those two gentlemen, and I use the term loosely, following us. My husband asked them where the nearest barbershop was. The man stammered a bit and then started to draw his weapon. We just happened to have our guns in our hand and the one man there, stopped but his friend ... Tom, I think he's called ... continued to draw. Not wanting to kill the man, my husband shot him in the foot."

She was on a roll and I wasn't going to interrupt. "That stopped the threat and we held them at bay until the law arrived. That man, there, wasn't inclined to listen to us. In fact, he wanted to arrest us instead of the miscreants. Now, don't you think that's a little strange, Sheriff? I mean, a nice affluent couple like us arrested for accosting those, those scruffy men of questionable character and parentage? Why our neighbor, Ranger Phillips, will vouch for us. Don't you think something is funny here?"

The Sheriff drew his gun as he turned toward his Deputy.

"So, now I have proof, you low down snake! I'd suspected you were blackmailing people to keep them from being arrested on trumped up charges. You probably were in cahoots with these too, also. Well, you are caught, now! Hands up. Keep 'em covered, Mister. Andrew, come here, Son."

The boy who had run for the Sheriff was instantly at his side. I could see the family resemblance. He was told to run to the office and bring back three sets of shackles. The Sheriff collected the weapons from the Deputy and the man standing in the meantime. Someone had picked up the gun Tom dropped. It was handed over by one of the crowd. Andrew came clanking up as he ran with the three sets of shackles. They were full sets with wrist and ankle cuffs, and a chain linking them together.

I kept the men covered while the Sheriff manacled the men. He had just finished when a second Deputy appeared. This man was the Sheriff's son-in-law and the Sheriff trusted him. Sheriff Hogg introduced himself, and I introduced Jackie and myself. He had to ask about the Ranger. Yes, I told him, we lived right next door and we'd been over several times. It seems that the Sheriff was a fan and looked up to Ranger Phillips.

We collected our packages from the sidewalk, and told the Sheriff he was welcome, anytime, and we could arrange an introduction if he wanted. That delighted him. I could hear him whistling as he walked away.

We continued walking until we found a secluded spot, and I activated the watch as Jackie grabbed my arm. We were back at the house. I went into the kitchen and got a Sprite from the refrigerator. I guzzled half, and handed the bottle to Jackie. She drank the rest.

"You ready?" I asked.

I set the watch and we arrived back at the ranch only moments after we'd left. We carried the parcels upstairs to where the three girls were. We handed each individual parcel to the young ladies and told them it was a gift from our hearts.

We watched as they eagerly opened their parcels. They fussed and fussed over the clothing that was inside, and profusely thanked us. Lizzie threw her arms around my legs and squeezed, and then, as Jackie bent down, she hugged her neck and kissed her cheek. Then I handed one more package to Lizzy. It was a stuffed rabbit.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Lizzie exclaimed, "This is so nice. We haven't had any new clothes in so long, I can't remember. Thank you, and thank you for the bunny rabbit, too."

Lana and Lisa also were full of gratitude for the new clothing. Each one hugged both of us. Lana's maturity was evident when she hugged me. I was certain that there were a couple of boys next door who would be very interested in her. They would start to court her once they got to know her, and I was just as certain that thirteen-year-old Lisa wouldn't be too far behind.

We left the trio to try their clothes on, and descended the stairs to the second floor. We went down the hall and knocked on Lora's door. The door swung open to a vision of loveliness a moment later. I had to admit that Lora is a beautiful woman. Even with the plain dress that she was wearing, her beauty outshone everything else. You didn't notice her dress, because of the beauty that exuded from her. She invited Jackie and me into her room.

"We have a present for you," Jackie said, "I think these ought to fit but you need to try them on to be sure."

Jackie handed Lora the package of clothing that we had gotten for her. Lora eagerly untied the package and carefully unwrapped the contents. She unfolded the dresses and held them in front of her. We all knew that she would look marvelous in them. There was a dressing screen in the corner, so she went over and immediately changed into the blue gingham dress that she'd been holding.

A stunning transformation had taken place when Lora came out from behind the screen. The young girl that I had rescued from a burning building was now a beautiful woman. She had taken advantage of the shower, and her long hair was silky and clean. It flowed down her back, cascading as though it was a waterfall on a mountainside. I couldn't take my eyes off her and I think Jackie noticed. Jackie suggested that Lora try all of the other dresses on, and that we would be downstairs.

Jackie split off from me once we reached the bottom floor and went to find her sister wives. I went into the living area, and sat at the desk. I placed the deed into the secret compartment that I'd found while checking the desk out. It was big enough for the paper to fit into without me having to fold it any further. Having that bit of business done, I thought about ways to present our good deed to Jesse and his wives. Becca came in and sat on my lap while I was sitting there. Her arms encircled my neck as she moved closer and seductively kissed me.

"I heard what you did for the girls," she said. "You know that you are my hero, as well as the hero of every other woman in the house, of course."

"Aw, shucks, Ma'am. T'wern't nothing special," I drawled. "I just did what anyone woulda done, given half a chance."

I had forgotten that Becca was an uptimer. She slapped me in the arm calling me a jerk. Then she sat there for the next two minutes and gave me a piece of her mind. Now granted that it's a very lovely mind, but still I figured I deserved it. I took my medicine like a big boy and she soon quit ranting. I pouted a little bit, very contritely said I was sorry, and promised I wouldn't do that again.

"Well, Mister, you just make sure that you don't," she demanded.

She then squeezed me close and kissed me again. I could really get used to this! Her kisses were so fine. We kissed until Ginny came into the room. Becca got up and Ginny took the space she vacated. She wiggled her little butt while she managed to capture my lips with hers. We kissed until yet another wife interrupted us. It was Clementine this time. Susannah almost immediately followed her. I seemed to be getting the full treatment, and I wasn't going to complain!

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.