Somewhere in Time - Pocket Watch
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2013 by MattHHelm

The car was easily recognizable as a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air. It looked brand new. I parked the REO directly behind it, close enough that it wasn't going anywhere unless I moved the truck. I set the brake and locked the doors as I got out of the truck. Mom parked in her usual space next to the Bel Air. I had parked the Shelby in the garage so it was safe. I escorted Mom to the door. It was securely locked. I entered the key code and opened the door. I flipped the light switch on and closed the door behind us.

We stood for a moment, listening. We went further into the house after making sure there was no sound in the house except the ticking of the big grandfather clock in the living room. We rounded the corner to the living room and clicked the light on.

"Oh!" came the dulcet tones of a surprised female, "You frightened me. I'm afraid I fell asleep."

We were just as surprised as the woman resting on our couch. She looked familiar, but I still couldn't place who it was. Mom's jaw had dropped and she was shaking her head in disbelief.

"Aunt Sylvia!" she exclaimed, "How... ?

"Oh, come now, Dearie, your door was easy. Your back door, that is. Someone forgot to lock it. I daresay I would be waiting in the car if it had been latched. Now then, you know I only make one travel trip a year, and the twenty miles I had to drive has tuckered me out. Why, I was just resting my eyes here and then the next thing I know the lights are shining in my eyes."

"It's always a pleasure when you visit us, Aunt Sylvia. Please make yourself at home, at least for a little while. I have so much news to tell you. Please go put the tea on, Eugene. You know which one, and use the good tea service while I relate our good fortune to our beloved aunt."

I left the room and could hear Mom's excited voice retelling the tale of the last few days. I retrieved the Chamomile tea bags from the tea safe in the cupboard. The kettle was whistling merrily in no time and I'd only just gotten the good tea service down. I rinsed and dried each piece to clean out any dust, and poured the hot water into the pot. I placed it on the silver platter, along with the three cups, sugar bowl, and creamer. Everything looked proper and I carried the tray into the living room. I had placed a teabag in each cup ahead of time.

Acting as though a footman from Downton Abby, I served my Great Aunt Sylvia first, and then my mother. I poured the steeping water into the third cup as soon as they were set, and added one cube of sugar for the desired sweetness. Mom took a sip of her tea and continued her story. She had gotten to the part about the men in the house, and I could see Aunt Sylvia's eyes light up at the adventure. Mom's description of the event made it sound even scarier than it was, but I let her continue.

The tale finally came to an end. Sylvia was impressed and pleased that we had a new house. She asked to see it and Mom agreed, but postponed the trip until tomorrow. It was getting late and Mom suggested a meal and resting overnight before going. Aunt Sylvia agreed and the two went into the kitchen. I retrieved the teacups and the rest of the service, and brought it to the kitchen. Mom told me to leave it and suggested I start loading the REO while she fixed dinner. I reminded her we'd need to get the boxes first. She'd forgotten that tidbit of information, so I was dismissed for the time being. I returned to my room and checked everything. My stuff was all organized to where I could easily pack and move it. I pulled my book out and returned to the Rukbat system once more.

I was lost in the skies of Pern soaring on the wings of the great Bronze Mnementh behind Dragonrider F'lar. Oh the thrill, the exhilaration of free flight. We landed at Benden for the Gather and Master Robinton came out to meet us. I bowed as we dismounted, and said my thanks to the great dragon.

'You are welcome, young apprentice, ' I heard in my head.

My eyes went wide with wonder. I stood frozen on that spot. The Master noticed me after a moment. The tall man strode over to me, chuckling more to himself than anyone else. He placed a kind hand on my shoulder. It broke my reverie.

"He's been talking to you, hasn't he?" Robinton asked with a grin, "He does that, you know."

"No, Master, I didn't know. I thought they only talked to their riders," I said.

'We talk to whom we please, when we please, ' the low-pitched voice came again.

Master Robinton laughed out loud this time.

"So you do, my big friend, so you do, but you're scaring my apprentice, and we must be away. There is music waiting to be played and dances to be danced."

So we were off.

"Eugene!" a distant voice called out, "Dinner!"

I was drawn from the story and back to my room. I slipped the bookmark into the book and placed it on the nightstand. I would be back later to enjoy the Gather. I literally flew down the stairs in the meantime, taking them two and three at a time. I slid into the dining room and was seated before Mom had brought the food from the kitchen. Aunt Sylvia was already at her place next to me, and Mom was just coming through the swinging door from the kitchen. She had already placed the garlic bread on the table, and was now completing the setting with the spaghetti and her special meat sauce. She'd made me memorize the recipe just as her mother had, and her grandmother before her.

Fresh garlic, fresh onions, and ground chuck browned on the stove, and drain any grease. Then add four eight-ounce cans of Hunt's tomato sauce and one six-ounce can of Contadina tomato paste for every pound of ground meat. Add in ground oregano and sweet basil to taste. Add one bay leaf and simmer. Freeze the excess to reheat for later use.

We were having some of the last batch Mom had made tonight. I always could tell by the taste. It somehow was even better than fresh. The garlic bread was hot, having been toasted under the broiler with plenty of butter and garlic powder. The salad was a simple green salad with iceberg and romaine lettuce, some sliced radishes, carrots, and just a touch of chopped green olives (with pimentos). She even sprinkled sunflower seeds on top. Mom and Aunt Sylvia used the Zesty Italian, but I chose the Catalina with Bacon.

I sometimes get carried away, and tonight saw me carried away! I love Mom's spaghetti. I piled it on and grabbed a couple of slices of the bread. I still remembered my manners and passed the food on to Aunt Sylvia. She was chuckling at my antics and loaded her plate, too. I silently ate as the two women ate and conversed. I listened ... but mostly I ate. Being a growing boy, I ate a lot. I cleaned my plate and asked if it was all right to have some more. Mom smiled and said I could. I only filled my plate half full, so there was still enough sauce to liberally cover the spaghetti.

I was slowing down, but still managed to finish. I was full ... well, sated, actually ... and just a bit sleepy. It was my duty to clean the dishes, however, while Mom entertained Aunt Sylvia. I got down to it. The pans were easy, since Mom had filled them with water and left them to soak in the sink. I emptied them and set them on the counter, then gathered up the plates from the table. I placed them in the sink, and refilled it with water and a dash of soap. I went back to the dining room and retrieved the salad bowl, along with the serving bowls. One more trip and the table was clean. I brought the damp towel to wipe the table down as usual, and then returned to the kitchen.

The dishes had soaked enough by this time and easily came clean, as did the rest of the dishes, pots, and pans. I dried everything and put it all away. I cleaned the sink and the kitchen was spotless. Proud of myself, I hung the towel on the rack on the inside of the door under the sink. I sauntered into the living room where the two women were talking.

"Oh, Eugene; will you please go out to my car and get my bag?" Aunt Sylvia asked.

"Sure thing, Aunt Sylvia, I'll get it and put it in the guest room for you."

She handed me her keys.

I went to the Bel Air and unlocked the trunk. There was a huge trunk in the huge trunk. It was like the trunks I found in the attic. I extracted it from its resting place and closed the car. Curious, I opened the driver's door and looked at the odometer. I had a flicker of doubt for just a moment, but then I smelled that new car smell. The car registered 1,846.3 miles. I was certain that was true, but how? I carefully closed the door, and hefted the trunk. I had to struggle a bit because it was awkward, but I managed. I placed it in her room and returned to report. I handed her the keys and commented on how nice the car was. She knowingly smiled.

I went to my room, read more about the Gather, and drifted off to sleep. I woke once during the night to take a leak and returned to bed, turning the reading lamp off. I didn't move again until morning.

Mom was knocking on Aunt Sylvia's door when I came down. There was no answer. She finally turned the knob and entered the room. I looked over her shoulder. The bed had not been slept in. There was what looked like a letter on the bedcovers. Mom retrieved it and we read it together.

'My dearest Niece and Grandnephew:

I have been many places over the years. I've traveled the world, after a fashion. Now it's time I embark on a great adventure. I met a woman my own age, who offered to let me escort her on a great adventure. You will know of this adventure Eugene, for I have been assured that you are perfect for the role. You will learn about what is in store soon enough.

Your change of fortune was not luck. It was planned. You were chosen because you showed kindness to a cynical old woman in this world. She has returned the favor many times over, as you are about to discover. She studied our family and made friends with me. We have been friends and traveling companions for a very long time now, longer than you can imagine. But enough of that; you are now in for the adventure of a lifetime. You need to find a traveling companion, as she did. She told me she would contact you soon to instruct you about it.

Until then, move into and enjoy the house. It really is a lovely house, and the furnishings in the attic are just perfect. Yes, I know all about the house, too. We will not see each other again. Time is too hectic and hurried. We both long for a kinder, gentler time, and we will have the time to do that, too. After all, it's all about ''time'.

Don't bother looking for me. It would be a waste of time, and you won't want to waste time! You will be busy. Study your geography and history well, it will come in handy. Stay out of trouble, and for God's sake, put some muscle on your frame. Always remember that I love you and your mother.

Love always,

Aunt Sylvia

The note was unsettling. I looked out the window and the Bel Air was still there. Mom and I talked it through. I checked the car. The title was in the glove box, signed by Aunt Sylvia, and made out to me. I brought the paperwork inside and found it had been purchased from Nickey Chevrolet, 4501 W. Irving Park Road, Chicago, Illinois, on February 2, 1957. I wondered how it got here.

Mom was beside herself with worry. She looked like she was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I wished there was something I could do to help. The phone rang just then. I rushed to answer it. I listened for a moment then handed it to Mom. She listened for the longest time. She only nodded her head occasionally, but I could see she was feeling better. She handed the receiver back to me, indicating I should listen.

The voice told me that I would soon be contacted about the adventure Aunt Sylvia wrote about in her letter. I was assured that she was well and wished us the best. The phone then went dead. I looked at Mom, she looked at me, and she hugged me close. She was smiling again when she broke our embrace. I felt reassured by this, so I didn't worry about the disappearance any more.

Nothing more was said about it, and I took the REO out after breakfast to make the rounds of the stores, looking for banana boxes. I managed to get over eighty from Wally World because they had bananas on sale this week. Safeway had twenty, and Kroger had sixteen. We had more than enough boxes to make the move!

I quickly packed the rest of my stuff in the boxes, then got them and the other boxes loaded into the REO. I also loaded the garage boxes. Mom had packed up her dresser and closet while I was doing this. She had clearly marked her boxes with her beautiful script handwriting using a Sharpie. She had started on the kitchen and was halfway through it by the time I'd completed moving her stuff to the truck. I had a two-wheel handcart that I used to move the dressers. I got them on to the truck, too.

Mom had finished packing the kitchen and was working on the pantry. I quickly moved the kitchen boxes to the truck, and then came in to help Mom with the pantry. Fortunately for me, the fridge had been almost empty. The canned and boxed food stocks were also low. We would replenish them all after the move. Between the two of us, we managed to get the appliances and the kitchen boxes on the truck, too. She helped me struggle with the mattresses for our beds, and they were loaded. I'd still need help in moving the rest of the stuff, but we'd have enough to move in and live there. The furniture from the attic would help finish out the rest of the house.

It took me several weeks to empty the old place. Mom called in Merry Maids to completely clean the place once I did. She also called in Cosmo's Landscaping to do the yard. I was glad I didn't have to do it. Mom got the entire deposit back as it turned out. It only took two letters from her attorney and the threat of lawsuit. If she sued and won, it would be triple damages, in addition to punitive damages. They had notified Mom that no refund would be processed, but they did it two days late. State law only allows thirty days, but she had a receipt from when she turned the keys in and the envelope with a postmark that was thirty two days after turning the keys in. She also recovered the attorney's fees as part of the agreement.

The guys did help me retrieve the furniture from the attic in the meantime. I had the door locked open so they wouldn't know about it. I'd tell them we sealed it off if they saw it later. We got all of the furniture down safely, and I was surprised that all the rooms had just the right amount of room, and the furniture we brought with us from the old place fit in perfectly. Coincidence? I doubted that.

Mom had gone back to work and I was messing around in the attic when I got the strangest feeling I was being watched. I slowly and carefully turned around. A woman stood there at the head of the stairs. She was maybe a little older than Mom, but she looked strikingly familiar. The light was playing on her hair and it shimmered in the sunlight. I blinked and shook my head. She was smiling at me.

"Can ... may I help you?" I inquired, "And how did you find me? I closed up the passage."

She laughed and said, "Well, it was easy. I knew you'd be drawn up here. As for the hidden lock, I built it."

I looked closer at the woman. Her clothes were not of this era; they were very old fashioned. I turned up to look at her face. It looked so familiar. I was positive I'd seen her before. But I couldn't place her.

She noticed my puzzlement. She finally took pity on me, and asked me to sit. I sat on one of the travel trunks and she took a position on a stool that was still there. She looked at me for a short time, and then spoke.

"You did a great kindness not very long ago. You entertained an old woman for an entire afternoon, and sought nothing in return. You have been richly rewarded as a result of that."

"I didn't know, I mean, I'm sorry if I did something wrong..."

"Oh, no," she chuckled, "You've done nothing wrong. If fact, I'd say you did everything right. You acted the gentleman. You listened, shared, and laughed. It was refreshing and wonderful."

Her voice was tickling my senses. I recognized the voice but couldn't place it. Then I looked into her eyes, those eyes that I would never forget.

"You..." I softly whispered.

"Yes, me," she confirmed.

"But how in the world is it possible?" I asked, feeling dizzy.

"That's a long story. Why don't we go down to the sitting room? I'll give you the complete story."

I went down ahead of her to provide a stop in case she slipped. She expertly closed and locked the mechanism once through the door. We descended the staircase, and entered the sitting room.

"It's wonderful. Just as it was..." she cut her sentence off.

We took our seats. She sat in the Queen Ann chair, and I on the sofa. We silently sat for what seemed like an eternity, and then she spoke.

"That day, at the house, that was me."

"Yes, I know. I knew when I looked in your eyes. I just don't know how," I replied.

"The old me was upstairs, in bed, dying the year before. I'd transported her there so I could watch over her. I actually transported the whole room, so she didn't know of the change."

"But..."

"Wait, just let me explain it all first."

"Okay."

"I was looking for someone to pass the gift to, as it had been passed to me. This is how I came to have the gift. I was lucky, for we had always been taught manners and how to act with strangers. An old woman came to our door one day. She was old and feeble, and asked for some water. The day was hot and I immediately showed her in of course. I took her to the parlor and had her sit on the divan. I didn't care that she was disheveled and dirty. I brought her some lemonade. She looked hungry, so I went and fixed her two large sandwiches with cut meats, lettuce, and everything while she drank. I brought the plate and another lemonade to her. She wolfed the food down as if she hadn't eaten in a week."

"I sat next to her and petted on her as she ate. We spoke of nothing in particular for the next couple of hours. She looked tired, so I fetched a couple of pillows and a light blanket, and then tucked her in. I pulled the shades down and turned the gaslights down. I took out my crocheting, and finished the shawl I was making while I waited."

"She awoke later in the afternoon. She looked a little disoriented for a moment, then smiled when she saw me. She sat up and thanked me for the kindness. I told her to think nothing of it. She commented that the beauty of the shawl I'd made really impressed her. I thought for a moment, and then placed it around her shoulders. 'It's yours', I said to her. Tears came to her eyes. She asked if she could use the commode. She somehow knew that we had indoor plumbing. I told her that she could and showed her to the water closet.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.