Somewhere in Time - Pocket Watch - Cover

Somewhere in Time - Pocket Watch

Copyright© 2013 by MattHHelm

Chapter 1

I was stunned by the revelation that Ms. Tandy had died over a year ago. On my birthday, as a matter of fact, but still I knew full well what I'd experienced only three weeks ago. I was in this house three weeks ago and having lemonade and talking with a most enchanting lady as sure as I was standing here today. Today, I was owner of this huge house and everything in it, under it, and around it. It was going to take some time to explore the house, the garages, and the barns. I had all summer, though. So, tie me kangaroo down, sport and no worries, Mate!

Mom would have to get the electricity and water turned on in her name, so exploring the attic and basement were out for now. It would be Monday before she could get that done. I do know that you can get same day service on that if you order by ten AM. The town administered the power and water, not some independent companies that operated on their schedule not yours. I would explore the garages and the barns in the meantime. I told Mom I was going to explore and that I'd lock up before coming home. I grinned at that because I was home.

I went through the kitchen and a utility room behind that, and found the back door. Once outside, I followed the drive that wended its way across the yard to a large structure reminiscent of a carriage house in 'Merry Olde England'. There were eight double doors and a large rollup door on the end. I couldn't wait to find out what was inside. I decided to start at the end opposite the rollup door. With the shit load of keys on the ring, it took a bit of time to find the correct one for the padlock. I noticed that the lock was new. The mechanism smartly clicked open when I found the right key.

I pulled the doors open with trembling hands. Sunlight danced through the dust, glittering and dispersing the light in all directions. The dust slowly settled. I stepped into the half-light of the tomb-like structure and took hold of the canvas covering that protected the car from the dust. I had to pull the canvas all the way out of the stall. I saw the coffin shaped front of the car when I turned back. I knew it in an instant. I'd seen it once in an ad for the Barrett Scottsdale auction in the car collector magazine. It was a later production Cord. I checked the ID code plate and couldn't believe it. The plate indicated it was a 1938 model. In fact, it was the only 1938 model as the Auburn Company ceased producing the Cord in 1937! I looked it up later and found that ONE model #812 had been made. Here it was; one of the rarest cars in the world. Flabbergasted is a word that comes to mind to describe my feelings.

I now moved on to the second door with trepidation, since each stall seemed to have a solid wall. I quickly found the key and flung the doors wide with just a little trembling. I was met with another canvas. I quickly removed the shroud. There in front of me was Eleanor, a late in the model year 1967 Shelby Mustang GT500. It has a 428 Police Interceptor engine, but it won't take on the Cobra designation until the 1968 model. This one was one of the last of the model year and was made at the A.O. Smith facility in Ionia, Michigan. Another rare car.

The next two doors revealed a 1912 Series A Stutz Bearcat and a green 1939 REO Speedwagon truck. I would have to research the VIN to determine the value of these cars. I was certain it would show they were also rare cars. I moved over to the fifth set of doors in a daze. I followed the routine and opened the doors and pulled the canvas cover off. I remember watching reruns of 'Route 66' on Nick at Night. The car from that series was in front of me. Car collectors around the world recognize the sleek lines, the Saddle Tan paint, and the chrome exhaust pipes of the 1963 Corvette Stingray convertible. Later research would prove it to be the car Chevrolet loaned to the show's producers for their use.

Door number six held an easily recognizable vehicle. I'd seen 'Back to the Future' so many times that I could recite lines. I also could recognize a DeLorean when I saw one. The speedometer indicated less than 100 miles. The stainless steel skin was flawless. Number seven was next. I was hurrying to see what treasure lay within the bowels of the garage. I almost drooled over what I found. I climbed in this one, turned the key, and silently drove it forward. It was smooth as silk. The leather of the seat was plush and soft. Shaking my head, I silently returned the car to its resting spot. It was flawless. I couldn't wait to try the Tesla roadster out on the highway.

Just when I thought I'd been surprised enough and couldn't be impressed any more, I opened the final door and was shocked once more. The car inside would need to be verified, but for the world looked like a 1928 or 29 Mercedes Benz SSK. It would be the second rarest production vehicle in the world if it proved to be true. It was beautiful. I stepped back and looked left to right and back left again. I was looking as several million dollars worth of cars. Shaking my head, I turned my attention to the big bay. I noticed a key lock mounted on the frame of the doorway. It used an Ace-Corvette type key and there was only one on the key ring. I inserted the key and turned it. The door immediately began to rise.

This was a goldmine of a find. I made my way around to the door and found it was locked. I checked the key ring and identified the key. I turned the key in the lock and the door swung open. I climbed in. The seat was air ride and adjustable. I put the key in the ignition and turned it. The powerful engine immediately sprung to life. The seat rose slightly as the air in the line was refreshed. It seemed I could see for miles as I looked out the windshield. I knew in an instant this would be fun to own. I didn't pull it out, but decided to inspect the rest of it. I returned to the front ten minutes later. I later found out it was called an eleMMent Palazzo, made by Marachi Mobile, when I looked it up. OH MY GOD!

I locked up everything and took the keys with me after securing the house. It was getting close to dinner time and I was getting hungry. I unchained my bike and headed home once the house was secure. It didn't take too long for me to make it home. Have I mentioned my mom is the greatest cook in the world? Well, she is in my opinion. I entered the house to the wafting odors of Mom's spaghetti sauce especialle. Her secret recipe had been handed down to her from her mother, and her mother before that. No one ever made a better sauce.

I washed up for dinner, more to get the grime from the dust covers on the cars off.

"Hi, Honey, dinner is in about five minutes. You timed it perfectly. So did you find anything interesting?" she naively asked.

It's a good thing she asked before I'd stuffed my mouth with food. The smell of the garlic bread was making my mouth water and I had to swallow before I answered her.

"Oh, yeah. I found something interesting, lots of somethings interesting."

I related my finds and my suppositions as to value. Mom's eyes grew bigger with every item. She almost fainted when I got to the land yacht. That was one she had to see. She thought about all the cars and decided to keep her Nissan. She said I should exercise each car on a rotating basis to keep them working. I told her I'd make a schedule so each one was driven at least once every two weeks. There was a couple that I'd drive more frequently. I was already forming preferences. Mom had finished preparing the food and it was all on the table ready to eat. I blessed the food and expressed thanks for the good fortune today. We dug in.

"So when are we going to move in to the house?" I asked.

"Well, we first have to get the power and water on, then we need to clean the areas of the house that need it. We can move our clothing over easily enough with the cars, but the furniture is going to be another story," she explained.

"No, Mom, it shouldn't be. We got the REO. That truck is solid and I tried the starter. It worked fine. It's as if the cars were new and just put away yesterday. The truck will work fine. We can easily move the big stuff. Don't forget, you need to get the power and water on in your name and you should probably give the landlord notice," I said.

"You're right on that. I'll put it on my list of things to do," she responded. "Now let's get the kitchen cleaned up. I'll put everything away and you can clean off the dishes. The dishwasher is just about full, so you can run the load after you get it ready. The Cascade was out so I got some more. It should be in the pantry on the left of the lowest shelf."

I quickly found it and we finished up the cleaning in ten minutes. I was tired, so I told Mom I'd forgo the TV and was heading for bed. She could see the tired in my eyes and agreed I should go. I kissed her on the cheek and dragged myself up to bed. I didn't bother looking for Jackie because I was beat. I had enough strength to get to bed and that was it. I fell into a dreamless sleep and was out for the night.

Tomorrow was a new day and I had more exploring to do. I think I was asleep as my head hit the pillow, because I don't remember anything until morning.


Morning came and Mom was in a great mood. I heard her whistling a catchy little tune as she got ready for church. I beat her, but not by much. I looked sharp with a white shirt, tie, black slacks, and shoes ... Mom had her lavender chiffon dress on that I loved so much. It really displayed her mature beauty. I knew I'd have the hots for her if she weren't my mom!

We went out to the County Line Bar-B-Cue after church. She got a stuffed baked potato and I got the chopped beef sandwich. Best barbeque ever in my book. I got mine with the sweet sauce, onions, pickles, and jalapeños. Mom took her stuffed potato with everything, hold the bacon bits. Those potatoes were big enough for two meals for her. She drank flavored water and I had a Squirt. I asked permission to go back to the house and explore some more once I finished. Mom waved me off and I leapt at the chance. I was out the door, on my bike, and halfway down the street before Mom could count to ten.

I rolled up to the house at about the same time as a big black Cadillac limousine. I had chained my bike to the stairs on the porch by the time a seeding looking character exited the car.

"Hey, Kid," the man asked in a heavy accent. It was reminiscent of the accents in the Godfather movie. "You live here?"

"Yeah," I replied.

"Get your old man out here. I wanna talk to him," he gruffly said.

"Got a shovel?" I asked.

"What for?"

"'Cause if you knew us, you'd know that he's been six feet underground for seven years now. But we can go dig him up and see what he has to say."

"Wise guy, huh," he commented.

"Guess so, now I suggest you leave before you get into trouble. Mom's not more than a couple minutes away and she won't take kindly to someone messin' around the house."

"You just tell her Mack the Knife was by, and she should remember what happened down by the sea with Frankie and Annette."

He climbed back in the car and it sped off. I had no idea what he was referring to, so I shrugged it off, and headed inside. There was enough light from the windows for me to explore a little. I headed up and started looking around on the third floor. The rooms were empty and a layer of dust lightly covered the floor. No one had disturbed it and I could follow my footprints as I looked around. I discovered more of the secrets of the house as I opened the doors one by one. I came across the stairway up at last.

It was ingeniously hidden in the hallway linen closet. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but the back of the closet swung away to reveal a landing with stairs leading up. I examined the hidden door and found the secret latch. So I closed and opened the door a couple times, just to make sure it worked. Fortunately for me, it did. I could have locked myself in.

There was light streaming in from the top of the stairs. I mounted them with eager anticipation of the treasures I might find. I did indeed find a veritable treasure trove as I crested the top. The room itself was huge. It was packed with furniture. Beautiful wooden furniture. Old, beautiful wooden furniture. There were cabinets filled with china and silver looking goblets, pitchers, and cups. I found some wooden boxes of marvelous design in one cabinet with a glass front. Inlaid wood, and what looked like ivory, adorned the top. There was a velvet cloth over the contents when I opened the case. I lifted the cloth and was confronted with a complete dinnerware service for sixteen. I almost called it silverware, but that would have been wrong. The contents were made of some metal that had a gold sheen. I didn't know exactly what it was, but I was guessing gold. Only a dealer of precious metals could tell me what I had.

I opened the second ornate box and found a complete set in sterling silver according to the stamping near the hilt of the knives. I carefully put both boxes back in the cabinet and closed it up. I moved on, looking in drawers and such. I found table linen that was silky to the touch. I didn't even remove that from the drawer, I just closed it. There were some of the clocks I'd seen in my previous visit stored up here. I remembered the very large, very ornate grandfather clock. It looked extremely old, but it was keeping perfect time.

I made it to the end of the one wall and found a roll-top desk. The top wouldn't roll up and the drawers wouldn't open. I noticed a keyhole in the middle of the rollup portion and pulled my key ring out. I went through the ring one at time. I eventually found the right one and turned it in the lock. It gave a gratifying click and the roll-top moved. I pocketed the keys and opened the desk. The workmanship exceeded all expectations. There were cubbyholes (empty) and little drawers. I was now able to open the big side drawers and the center drawer too. They were empty and all that, but it didn't hurt to look. I then started on the small drawers inset in the back of the cover retainer. Most were empty, some had pieces of pencils, and there was one paper clip. I saw a piece of paper lying flat in the drawer when I opened the last drawer, on the left of the bottom row.

I retrieved the paper with some difficulty. Looking closer at it as I pulled it out I noticed the printing on it. It was a lottery ticket. 'Oh great, a used lottery ticket' I thought. I turned it over and found that it was a Powerball ticket. The funny thing about it was it was dated for Saturday three weeks from today. That was further ahead than you could buy them. I somehow had a ticket that was impossible for me to have. I decided to leave it locked in the desk for now. I'd be sure to get it out in three weeks, the Saturday before the Fourth of July. I put it back in the drawer, locked the desk, and turned to the other side of the large room. There were piles of trunks and shipping crates stacked high above my head lining the walls. The stacks reached almost to the high ceiling.

I had my work cut out for me. Before I started I checked the time. I was getting hungry and decided to head back to 'The Greasy Spoon' for a burger and fries. I kid you not; that is what old Archie Andrews had actually named his diner. The food was topnotch, of course. I ordered a burger basket, and a large chocolate milkshake. They made real milkshakes there, with only the finest ingredients, including Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream, Hersey's dark chocolate syrup, plus a little milk. It was all put into a metal container and blended creamy smooth. You could also get a malt, but I really didn't like the malt flavor. The thick concoction was poured into a glass container and placed in from of me, along with a long handled spoon, a straw, and the metal container, too. The burger came with all the fixin's and I dug in.

It was a sensory overload as my taste buds burst with the flavor of the seasonings on the burger. I loaded the basket up with catsup and I put enough salt on the fries to clog an old man's arteries. Oh well, you only live once, right? I took my time eating and headed back to the house once I finished. I'd been gone about an hour. I noticed something curious as I reached the landing on the second floor. Footprints went off down the hallway. The only problem with that was I hadn't done that, and they were fresh prints. I contemplated calling the police, but delayed until I saw that the prints returned. I saw the same thing on the third floor, and I saw where the footprints returned to the staircase again.

I sat down at the top of the stairs, waited, and listened. No sounds and no one appeared. I waited. I decided to go back to exploring after about thirty minutes of sitting without a sound. I went to the closet down the hall. I noticed the footprints had gone here too. I opened the outer door and saw a footprint inside the closet, but there was no indication that the secret door had been opened. I had erased the evidence of my find before locking and leaving the house, and it looked untouched. I opened the door, slipped through, and closed and locked the door. There was a crossbar arrangement that I slipped into place before climbing the stairs again.

I got to the top and started on the left side of the wall. The boxes were a little lower there. I lifted down the first box. Inside was cloth, bolts of cloth. I stacked the box off to the side and took down the second one. More cloth. Moved it to the stack. The bottom box was rather large and looked like a shipping crate. The word Fragile was stamped on the sides and top. It had been opened before and reclosed. I opened the box and parted the packing stuff. Lying there in the box as a full-size plastic human leg, with a thigh high fishnet stocking and a light socket on top. The shade was also in the crate. I plugged the light in and replaced the shade. But I forgot that the power was off. I looked in the crate one last time and saw a piece of torn paper. At the top of the paper were the words Major Prize. Nothing else was visible.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.