Brittany and Chad, Book 2 - Cover

Brittany and Chad, Book 2

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 11

[Chad] Thanksgiving was coming fast. We had talked to Mel and Dan and they were driving in over Wednesday night to arrive late. The only question Mom asked was, "One bedroom or two, dear?"

Mel's answer was "two." She admitted to Brittany that they were somewhat active but she wasn't even slightly ready to carry it further yet. Dan was talking about marrying over the Christmas holidays. Dan would be able to take the time off albeit without pay. It would be a simple wedding and honeymoon. I detected a note in my sister's voice that left me unsure.

Britt told them that they might be successful with the honeymoon, but not the wedding.

Mel laughed and told her to not let Mom go completely overboard nor to get too far ahead of things. She planned to have only two attendants. Britt would be the Maid of Honor and her roommate would be the other. She then told her that Dan wanted me to be Best Man.

Britt asked if he had another person for a groomsman. When she said that he didn't. Britt said to bring a picture of her roommate. Mel said, "Oh, no! Not again! Don't you ever tire?"

Britt said, "I just try to help people be happy. You remember Toby don't you?"

'Yes."

"Well, he's Tobias now and Jan is constantly by his side. He's much more comfortable socially. He does have a glassy look though when he's with her."

"You struck again."

"Probably not but we did expedite it a bit."

"Okay, we'll see you in a couple of days."

It was very late when they arrived. We had her bed and the guest bedroom bed both ready. They went in, said "hello," and went to their rooms until late in the morning. We were quiet over breakfast and as the three of us helped Mom fix Thanksgiving dinner. We would have guests. Mitch and Dora, Missus Thornton, the Andersons and the Martins were all coming over to celebrate the holiday.

After they got up, Mel went in to help in the kitchen and the guys went to the living room to hang out. Dan sat down and looked at Dad. "Mister Arnold, if I ask you a question, will you give me a full answer?"

"I will try. I can't answer every question."

"I will start Med School in January. I have a full scholarship through the Nurses' Association. It seems that they don't know who established it though it is well funded. While I am the first, they expect to award two more next fall."

Dad said, "I haven't heard a question so far."

Dan responded, "It was a trust that established that scholarship and the trust had two trustees and both trustees live right here."

"That's interesting."

Dan said, "Do you know who one of those trustees might be?"

"I might."

"That's what I thought."

"Did you properly qualify under the scholarship's rules?"

"Yes, Sir. That's not the point."

"What is the point then?"

"The point is that I don't want charity."

"I don't see what your point might be. If you had not applied for the scholarship, would you have gotten it?"

"No, sir."

"If you had applied and not qualified, would you have gotten it?"

"No, I don't believe that I would."

"I'm trying to understand where the charity part of this might be, Dan."

"I think you are one of those trustees and you set this scholarship up with me in mind."

"Even if the trustees had, you have said that you properly qualified and that there will be more scholarships awarded for the fall. Obviously, it makes your argument about receiving some kind of personal charity hard to understand. You sound like you were the initial recipient. From what you've said, that's all I can determine.

"Dan, didn't you have to agree to practice in this state for a certain period of time or it becomes a loan. That's what I remember from Mel's description of this program. I'm still trying to figure out the charity to you in this."

"I think you might be a trustee of a trust, knew I wanted to go to med school, and used trust funds to fund a scholarship."

"Dan, what you're suggesting is that I committed fraud and deceit as a trustee. Not only would there be criminal and civil issues but I would be quickly and permanently disbarred. I am distressed that you would think I am capable of such an act. I think you should file a complaint with the bar bringing to light your thinking and my alleged culpability in such an act."

Mel walked in at that moment. She said, "culpability in what act. Dan, Dad, what's going on?"

Dan said nothing. Dad said, "Your young man has accused me of fraud and deceit including both criminal and civil misdeeds. The mere allegations would be sufficient to ruin my career."

"Dan, have you made such allegations regarding my father?"

Dan looked worried and I felt he should. "Melody, I suggested that my scholarship might be misplaced charity and that your father might be one of the trustees who was involved in creating that scholarship. Your father carried that suggestion far beyond anything I had thought."

"Were Dad's statements true and factual?"

"Well, yes, but he carried it way beyond any thought that I had ever had."

"Dan, you pushed a button that I have difficulty believing you would have had the bad taste and hatred to even consider pushing." She pulled her engagement ring from her finger putting it in his hand. She said, "I don't think you should be marrying the daughter of an alleged criminal. You may leave right now. Do not call me again!"

She turned her back on him and left the room for the kitchen sobbing. Dan was standing looking at the ring in his hand with tears in his eyes.

I said, "Dan, I'll help you pack. If you won't pack, I'll make a few phone calls and get some help to throw you out of this house."

Dad said nothing.

Dan's voice was choked as he said, "Do anything you want, Chad. I just totally screwed up my life. I don't know how to fix it. I have hurt your sister and your father unforgivably."

He sank to his knees crying pitiably. I wanted to punch his lights out. Dad said, "Son, ask Lois to come out here and bring the two ladies."

"Yes, sir." I said it through gritted teeth.

I went into the kitchen. All three were sobbing terribly. I stood next to Mom. "Mom, Dad has requested that you three come to the living room." Mel was angry as well as hurt. The three came out slowly. Dad said, "Sit on the sofa." They didn't so much sit as they collapsed onto the sofa. "Sit down, Chad."

Dad said, "We seem to have reached an unfortunate situation.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.