Brittany and Chad, Book 2
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

We were right to dress. Starting about five minutes after we came downstairs, there was a steady stream of well-wishers coming through the house. While I was talking to Pastor Bob, Britt went into kitchen to fix us a late lunch. She came out with a plate and a glass of tea. Mel had two TV trays. She set them up side by side. Britt placed a plate and a glass of tea for me on one. She went back into the kitchen and got her plate and glass. We talked to Pastor Bob while the crowd went away.

Pastor Bob said, "Melody, I understand you have a young man who has come into your life?"

She said, "I hope so. He's a really nice guy."

Pastor Bob said, "I must be going. Chad, you know you will be recognized in church Sunday?"

"Could I hide out?"

Britt said, "No. You will stand there and take it."

Pastor Bob chuckled and shook my hand. He hugged both ladies and left.

We finished our lunches in peace.

We had taken the plates into the kitchen and put the trays away when the doorbell rang.

It was Dan. Britt had answered the door. "Come in, Dan."

"Thank you. Is Melody here? I want to talk to her."

"She's here, Dan. Come in."

I was sitting on the loveseat and Mel was on the sofa. They came in and Britt sat down beside me. Dan stood in front of Mel. He looked very serious. "I really want to talk to you privately, Melody."

She looked troubled. "Anything you say to me can be said before Britt and Chad. They know everything."

Dan took a deep breath. He said, "You hurt my feelings this morning." Mel started to speak. Dan said, "No. Let me have my say.

"You seemed to suggest that I should feel differently about you after your confession this morning. You acted like you weren't good." She started to say something again but stopped.

"You never gave me a chance to talk to you. You just ran off. It's like you didn't trust me. You didn't do that when you told your brother and his lady, did you?" She shook her head. Tears were beginning to form in her eyes.

"I've carried a picture of you in my mind for years. You have turned from a pretty young girl into a beautiful young woman. You're smart and I think proud, rightfully so, of whom you are and of what you've accomplished. Most any guy I know would be proud to have you by his side.

"It has and hasn't been long. I've spent most of the summer looking for you. You might have married and then divorced with kids. It wouldn't matter to me as long as there was a possibility we could be together.

"I am only disappointed that you didn't trust my reaction. What you did doesn't matter. I'm a little glad that you aren't perfect because I was scared of climbing that pedestal to be near you." The light dawned on Mel's face. I had figured it out a few sentences before as had Britt but we weren't busy being scared for our future.

Mel leapt off the sofa and into Dan's arms. She almost knocked him onto his back. She was kissing him frantically mumbling, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry for doubting you! Oh, Dan!" She was sobbing by then in relief and joy. He gently guided her back to the sofa sitting next to her and embracing her as she gradually got her emotions under control.

Finally, Mel took the arm not around her and kissed its hand. "Dan, what do you want of me?"

He smiled gently, "I want to get to know you, warts and all. I want you to get to know me the same way. Let's find out if our old and our new attractions are real.

"I have enjoyed talking with you. I enjoyed holding you just now and kissing you. I want to do more of both. You just naturally fit into my embrace." Mel kissed his lips hard. "Melody, let me get to know you. I promise not to abuse your trust. I want to continue to know everything about you. You can ask me anything you want to know about me and I will tell you completely and truthfully. Are you willing to try this with me?"

"Yes! Dan! Oh, yes!"

Dan smiled and kissed her gently.

Britt said, "Why don't you sit at the kitchen table and talk more privately. It's okay. We can handle any guests."

It as quiet for a while and then more visitors began to arrive.

Our friends came back by and spent some time with us quietly talking together. Elaine asked, "Who is that good-looking guy talking to your sister in the kitchen?"

I said, "Dan was one of my nurses. He and Mel met and seem to have some interest in each other. They are getting to know each other. They talk even more right now than Britt and I do."

Elaine said, "Talking is good. I like it that Jack talks to me. He tells me about things that made him happy or sad. We talk about the future. We talk about anything and everything."

I noticed Amanda and Tony smiling at each other and realized that Britt and I were grinning at each other also. I said, "Talking is good. It's important to get to know someone.

"Britt found my journal. Well, she knew where it was and that I kept one because I had told her. She read to me while I was in the hospital."

"I was trying to remind him why he had to come back to me. Life wouldn't have been right without my beautiful man beside me." Her eyes were brimming with tears.

"Always, ladylove."

Toby said, "That's so cute."

Amanda said, "Toby, you wait. You will find the right one and you will say cute things and wear a thong."

Jack said, laughing, "No, she will probably just collar him and walk him along behind her on a leash!"

Toby blushed. I said, "Toby, don't knock it. I like being Britt's beautiful man. If she wanted to call you that as the price of being with her, wouldn't you pay it gladly"

Toby blushed even more. "In a split second and happy about it. I just hope there is someone like Brittany or Elaine or Amanda out there for me."

Britt said, "I think I see our next project, Chad. We need to find a soul mate for Toby."

Everyone laughed. I said, "Let's make the search a little less dangerous this time. I don't want to be shot again." Everyone laughed harder though I felt Britt press into my side and shudder. I gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze.

Mel and Dan came into the room with curious looks on their faces. They were holding hands. Mel said, "What's so funny?"

Tony said, "Now that you seem to be hooked up, Britt has picked Toby as her next project." He was now laughing harder. "Chad said that he hoped he wouldn't have to get shot again to be successful on this new project." Everyone laughed more. After a moment, Mel and Dan joined in. Dan said, "I was looking just not in the right places." There was more laughter.

Amanda looked at Dan and said, "If I have to go to the hospital, I hope I get nurses who look like you." There was more laughter. We were still laughing when Mom and Dad came in to see Mel and Dan and Toby blushing furiously while they laughed with the rest of us.

They both smiled. Mom said, "I see three red faces and lots of laughter. This should be good. Tell us."

Britt said, "Mom, I was talking about reading to Chad from his journal while he was in the hospital trying to get through to him so my beautiful man would come back to me. Then, Chad responded with 'Always, ladylove.' as he does." She gave my hand a squeeze. "Toby was kidding us but Chad told him that he takes that gladly to have me beside him. Toby confessed that he wants someone, too. So, I said that we would find him someone and Chad said that he hoped he wouldn't have to get shot this time. Mel and Dan had been talking in the kitchen and came out and found out that they were our last project." She looked around. "I think that pretty much explains it."

Dad was almost weak he was laughing so hard. Mom had a big grin on her face.

Our friends said their good-byes and left. Britt and I went into the kitchen with Mom and Dad while Mel and Dan stayed in the living room on the sofa.

Mom turned and looked at us, She said, "Were we your first project?"

Britt said, "We didn't know it at the time but I guess so."

Dad embraced Mom. He said, "Our love has always been good but since you joined the family, Britt, it has been lifted to new heights. There's so much love around that it's hard not to react positively."

Mom said, "That's true.

"Why don't you two go over and invite Missus Thornton over for supper? It's early enough that she would not have started anything yet."

We echoed, "Okay, Mom." We went out the door, leaving Mom and Dad holding each other.

We went across the drive and the little bit of yard to Missus Thornton's and knocked. She came to the door and said, "Come in! Come in!"

We came in and Missus Thornton said, "It's so good to see you two walking around together again." She looked at me, "Chad, how did you like the police reception this morning?"

"The sirens were loud. I didn't do anything to deserve it. I appreciate them but nothing I've done should have merited that reaction."

Missus Thornton said, "Have either of you read the newspapers or listened to the radio?" We shook our heads. "I have the stories cut out of the papers. You should read them. First, though, what did you come over for?

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.