Brittany and Chad, Book 2
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

A few minutes later, Doctor Martin came in and made me sit on the bed. He poked and prodded. He looked into my eyes with a bright light and watched my pupils react. Finally, he said, "You're good. Take care of the head. No active things for a few more days. Keep the dressing clean. Brittany, are you going to change it or is Lois?"

Britt said, "I will. I know what to do. I helped Nurse Dan clean it and re-bandage it this morning."

"Okay, if you get a headache, if you feel dizzy or have any disconnected feeling, call my office immediately. I'll have you come to the office or meet me at the emergency room as I deem appropriate. Chad, don't push it." He looked at Brittany. "Young lady, I trust you to be careful with him. I don't think you want to replace him."

"No, Doctor. Not after I've spent all this time getting him trained."

He smiled and said, "Okay, I'm signing you out, Chad. Call my office. I want you there in two weeks." We nodded. He shook my hand and Britt's and left.

Mel and Dan came by holding hands. "Dan says that they're processing your paperwork to get you out and home. I will see you there later. Mom and Dad will be here soon. We're going to breakfast." She gave Britt a hug while Dan shook my hand. Then, Mel hugged me and Dan hugged Britt. They left holding hands again.

"Holding hands is a promising development." I looked at Britt.

She was smiling. "That's how we started, beautiful man."

"Now, we act like old married folk. I miss baths with you. Washing your body while you wash mine is much more entertaining than our separate baths this morning."

"We'll get back to that soon."

Mom said, "You will 'get back to what soon?'"

Britt looked at her and said, "It might be more information than you want."

Dad said, "Oh, go ahead. I might give us some more ideas."

Britt took a breath. "Okay, we shower together. It saves water."

Mom and Dad laughed. Mom said, "That sounds like fun and it's economical, too."

Britt and I smiled sheepishly.

Mom said, "We saw Mel and Dan as we came in. They are holding hands. He's coming over this evening for supper. He seems nice."

I said, "He is very interested in Mel. He switched shifts around so he would be here hoping to run into her. He thought we were Methodist or Episcopal so he had been visiting all the churches of those denominations looking for her. He's a little shy about that. He's been carrying a picture of Mel in his mind for years. He has no one in town any longer.

"The question to me is will his picture of Mel match up to the reality of Mel? She's not comfortable on a pedestal for him or anyone."

Dad said, "Time will tell.

"What are we waiting for?"

Britt said, "Dan told me that a person will come with a wheelchair for Chad. The hospital won't let a patient just walk out.

"Dad, when they come, will you get Chad's car? I will drive him home and you can follow. Please."

Dad smiled. I guess I can drive his bucket over."

"Great, I used it to get here and Mel has been in ours. We would need to get it home anyway. I'm not letting him out of my sight." Her lip trembled just a little. That's when I realized again how badly she had been shaken.

[Britt] Chad doesn't realize how bad it was to watch him on that bed for four days. I had a foretaste of hell. I was so miserable without being able to make eye contact or feel him touch me or hear his voice. The one thing that wasn't shaken was my faith and my intention to stay by him until he woke up.

[Chad] Britt and I may need to record more of our innermost thoughts. We talk but writing them down records them for reading later. Britt tells me that reading my journal was a revelation to her. She knew I loved her but she says she knows so much more about that love now.

A hospital volunteer came into the room with a wheelchair. He said, "Are you ready to ride out?"

I decided to test him. I said, "I can walk."

He paled. "I can't let you though. It's the hospital's rules. On top of that, everybody will be watching you and I would get into trouble."

I said, "Okay, I'm ready to go home." I sat down and Britt leaned in to kiss me. We headed out. When there was room, she walked beside me holding my hand. When we turned a corner, I saw my parents holding hands as they walked behind us.

When we reached the main door, Britt gave Dad my keys and he went for my car. He pulled up and Britt walked to the passenger side door and opened it for me as I was rolled up. I stood and easily got in the car. Britt walked around to the driver's side where Dad was holding the door. He said, "We'll see you two at home. Drive safely, dear."

"Yes, sir. See you at home." She hugged him and gave him a kiss. I leaned over and said, "Dad, if you'll get the car for me in the future, I'll give you a hug and a kiss, too." We all laughed. Britt got in the car and adjusted the seat a little. She pulled away driving like I had always seen her drive. She is a careful driver and is very watchful. Our drive home was almost uneventful and I would be glad to get home.

As we pulled around the block to get to the house, Britt gave a gasp. I suddenly looked up and saw what looked like every police car in the city with lights flashing. When my car appeared, all the sirens started up. Standing at the front door were my sister with Dan, Missus Thornton, Mitch and Dora, and many of our friends from school. Toby, Jack, and Tony were all carrying signs that said, "Welcome home, Chad and Brittany."

I looked at Britt and said, "You didn't know about this either?"

"No, I haven't been here since joining you in the hospital." She pulled into the usual parking place and, before we could open a door, our doors were opened and both of us were helped out.

Elaine helped Britt out and hugged her tightly. Amanda hugged me and said, "You worried us badly, Chad. Tony and I have been praying together every night for your recovery. We love you two so very much."

Mitch raised his hand and the sirens died down. Dad could only pull into the edge of the drive because of the people crowding around. I said, "Let me go thank the officers." Hand in hand, Britt and I went to the roadside and I waved and Britt blew kisses at each car as it went by. Our friends were waving and cheering, too.

When they had all left, we headed into the house. Britt and I could hardly walk for the hugs we received. At the door were Mom and Dad, Mitch and Dora, Mel and Dan, and Missus Thornton. Britt hugged and kissed them all. I hugged them but skipped kissing the guys. We went inside and the house was decorated with balloons and posters. I managed to sit in the love seat with Missus Thornton beside ma and Britt in my lap. She had an arm around my neck and was holding on while we cried. I had one arm around her waist and the other over Missus Thornton's shoulders. She was in tears though she was smiling.

I heard her say, "You worried us, Chad. I'm so glad you're back and back home."

Finally, everything quieted down and plastic wine glasses were passed around along with bottles of sparkling grape juice. When everyone had a glass, Dad said, "I give you a toast to my wonderful son, Chad, and his beautiful lady, Britt, welcome home!" Everyone sipped and there were many cheers. We had a reception with plenty of food. Mom and Dad's Sunday school class among other groups had struck again! Slowly, the groups dispersed until, other than family, it was Mitch and Dora, Missus Thornton, and Dan. He came by then to shake my hand. Missus Thornton said, "Melody, you've been hanging on to him all morning. Who is this nice looking young man?"

"Ma'am, I'm Dan Jones. I am one of the nurses on Chad's floor. I met Melody and I invited her to breakfast and she invited me here."

Missus Thornton laughed. "Melody, hang on to this one. He lies gallantly."

Mel said, "Time will tell."

Britt looked in my eyes and announced, "Chad needs to go rest. I'm taking him upstairs to bed." She rose and pulled me up after I gave Missus Thornton a gentle squeeze.

Mitch and Dora came to us and said, "We're on the road, too."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.