Baby It's Cold Outside - Cover

Baby It's Cold Outside

Copyright© 2013 by Lapi

Chapter 4

Although the team had tried to avoid religious or ethnic engagements, for some reason 'Doc' had been persuaded to now become involved with 'The Order'. It was perhaps the inclusion of his entire organization for at least a year that swayed him. He would be responsible to protect the entire order. Doc had never before gotten us involved with political. religious or ethnic based conflicts, so Why now? I wondered.

He was nice enough to at least ask each of us whether we would accept the contract or not. The fact that we were now on a salary that paid us each more than twice what we had made last year was a very nice carrot in front of this assignment, let alone some level on normalcy. It might be that these new clients had taken each and everyone of the team, sight unseen that did it. The only admonition was that no failure would or could be tolerated. Money, staff, security measures and procedures were our responsibility, nothing we wanted or asked for would be questioned or refused.

I had one last assignment then I was to be off to the Middle East. Two bodyguards were apparently in place and several more in transit there for the assignment. 'Doc' himself was the overall coordinator and contact liaison. I was told eventually there would be twenty guards for constant protection and more when and if they were needed for any public venue. I almost laughed, Hell I did laugh when 'Doc' told me 5,000 guards were on standby, any and all of our team had access to them at any time they would be there within 24 hours. 'Doc' made it a fact when he repeated that offer.

My target, for this last mission was only one person. It turned out to be the woman not the man in bed with her. I killed him instantly only to find a knife sticking from my chest. She almost got me, almost. Her name was Marta and she was now dead.

It had been a failure, by my standards, completed though, by the terms of the contract.

I was not that cold heading back but my body was dripping every ounce of water I could drink down, it was like I was on fire. The thought ran through my head that that blade had been coated with something. Marta had been known to coat her bullets or insert chemicals in the hollow point bullets of the .22 cal silenced Colt she often used as her trademark. So why not the knife, or knives as our last struggle had revealed her to have.

I had made it back to the US and through customs, with no baggage and now could barely stand let alone walk any further. I sat in one of the many small plastic covered seats and closed my eyes.

From previous experience I thought if I could just make it to a taxi, get home, then John would let me in and get me up to my apartment. Right, 'if', now that was a set of odds I would not bet on if I were a betting man. Bloods had soaked through an inch of gauze, tape and bandages. It was only through the front of my shoulder but felt like the knife wound was a freight train through my body. I closed my eyes and began such a wonderful dream that I did not want it to ever end.

I found myself being pushed and shoved. Not very pleasant when your trying to sleep. Then I heard her voice. "Are you Okay?"

'Damn!' I thought, 'they got me!' Then the voice sounded again.

"Should I get help or call anyone?"

I opened my eyes and saw the source of the voice. She had been another 'Business Class' passenger on the Lufthansa flight from Frankfort. Under normal circumstances I would have struck up a conversation or two with her. It was hard to even guess at her race. She was dark skinned, a dark olive more Greek or Italian than Arab or African. Her hair was long, black and glistened as though she had just exited some runway. It was her eyes though. They were a colour that one could not describe. They kept changing from green, to grey and a shade more like that of a cat. She was short and if she even was 100 pounds it would be a surprise. We really must have looked the pair.

Here this 200 pound, 6' 3'' Anglo and some midget Cherub was holding up his head. The pain started again. I mumbled out, "Taxi, Cab, Home!"

She nodded and lifted me up as if I weighed no more than a sack of groceries from a market. "One step at a time, one foot in front of another; push, push, push Marine!" she sounded out.

'Whoa!' Did I know her? As far as I could remember I had never told anyone, let alone her I used to, had been in the Marines. That was not a pleasant memory. Orders were not something I was used to taking and it was not in the cards for a loner like me to think 'Team' when lead started flying. They had given me a fair shot, several in fact before sending me on my way with less than a satisfactory recommendation.

She answered my question before I had a chance to ask it. "I've seen enough Marines to know the only safe time around you for a girl is when your dying or dead on your feet. I think your pretty close to one of those REMF!"

No response from me. "Umpf, not too sensitive about that are we Yank?"

Her smile was like magic. "No Ma'am, long time ago!" as I put one foot in front of another. She stopped a cart and we speed to the exit. I rested my head on her chest, a mighty soft chest and started dreaming again.

We got a cab. I remember her fumbling through my pants pockets. Oh Hell I thought. Not another whore. I knew she would probably find some money, a lot of it, but not much else.

When I woke up, I was flat on my back, pillows propping up my head and she was cleaning out my wound.

"A bit of a tussle, Love?"

I had to laugh. "A bit but you should have seen the other guy?(I felt saying girl would not be Macho.) By the way, who are you and where are we?"

"We dear boy, are in a prime suite at the Ritz-Carlton hotel, thanks to a pocketful of cash you had tucked around. My name is Josephine and you have no identification or address on you."

"Chance." I moaned as she went a might deep.

"Yes, You were very lucky you and I met. I have always it seems, met the wrong kind of man, and you Sir do not give me the impression that this was the first time you have been hurt."

"No Joey, my name is Chance!"

"Phone!"

She quickly slapped a wireless into my outstretched hand. I dialed a number, after a series of clicks, rings then redialing an answering voice could be heard.

"It's Chance, I need Doc. Right now I'm at this number, 202.555,1234, room(604 she mouthed) room 604, My guardian Angel here is torturing me and tell Doc to bring his bag of tricks. Ouch!" Yelling out as blood started to flow more freely from the wound.

"Here, drink these all down." Several tall glasses were lined up on the table.

The first tasted like warm salt water. I sat the empty back down.

"Salt water, Stud, closest I could make to a Saline IV. Try number two."

Number two was about the same as the first one but sweeter and had a lemon or lime citrus flavour."

"Sugar in it, Sugar, just drink it all down, like a good little boy."

"I'll float away with all this doctor!"

Just then the door swung open. I knew who it was. "C'mon in Viv, I won't shoot you, this time!"

A tall blond slowly entered. From the wet head and coat partially closed around her waist indicated her being here was not planned, 'Doc' had called her. The 'Glock 40' in her hand also was a hint she was no fool. She saw me, the bleeding wound and started shouting orders.

Get him on the floor, get water, salt, sugar and get his clothes off. I'll get a blanket.

Joey just raised her eyebrows, pointed to the two covers on the couch and handed me the another glass. Now this was my kind of a drink. Orange juice laced with Grand Marnier.

"I hope you don't get too excited Stud, I'm just following orders now." as she undid my belt and stated pulling down my pants. Vivian came back into the room and started to giggle.

"Hell Chance, there are easier ways to get a girl than bleeding all over them. Honey, I hope you aren't to disappointed with his equipment?"

"Well, it's not a Christmas present that I can't exchange, is it?"

"Chance, I like your new sidekick! You working or sleeping together, or both?"

Now Joey started to blush.

"Viv, let me introduce Natasha Romanov, my new No 2 agent, Miss Moneypenny retired."

I felt the blankets cover me, then all went black.

I woke up to an actual chewing out. "Why the Hell did you even bother to call me Chance. Between these two I'll be out of a job if they decide to patch up everybody. I gave you some meds and an IV but, your personal medico's seem to have everything in hand, well almost everything. You lost a lot of blood dear boy and as usual I don't know or want to know any details. I called in and the message was, 'Thanks again!' I will assume they are happy with the results and shall deposit a bonus for your efforts? You need to rest now, take holiday or just consider the possibilities with these two lovely caregivers. I think one may be willing to try again with you, the other seems a bit taken with you also!"

I looked up and saw the two sitting next to each other, staring like they were stalking some wounded prey.

"I'm not dead yet you two! Vultures!" Then softly. "Thanks!"

I guess the smiles on their faces was response enough.

"Vivian could you call John to send a car and some guys to get me home. I really want to thank you both later when I'm half alive!"

"I'll take you home, you two timing rat bastard!"

"Why Vivian, I didn't know you still cared? If I remember I was the one who came home to find you otherwise indisposed."

I got a grin from her and a blank look on Joey's face.

"My ex wife!" I said.

They looked at each other, Vivian now raised an eyebrow and smiling said, "long story!"

I put my head back down and fell asleep.

When I woke, the air now filled my lungs with the smell of seafood. Room service had brought up shrimp. lobster and sea bass all steamed or poached and arranged on the floor next to me. Two naked nymphs were now taking turns placing small morsels of food in my mouth. I did notice their hair colours were both natural.

"In order to hurry your recovery we decided to stay here a bit longer. We had no clothes so, we did the best we could for bed. We hope you don't mind. Oh, your cash on hand went down too, for this lovely room and the shopping your playmate and I will be doing tomorrow."

Right then I could care less. The food was exquisite and so were my servers. I thought again why Vivian and I had divorced. No real answer was forthcoming.

Looking back ... About a year after the divorce, we started talking to each other. When I came back one day, there was nobody else to call. Vivian took care of me. She had arranged for me to get the Penthouse in her building and for John to see to it when I was away so looking after me was easy.

My being away so much was one reason for the split but not the main one. Over time we both found that one thing that we had lost was trust, now it was slowly sneaking its way back in. Soon we were friends at least. Not lovers, that was far beyond either of us to forgive or forget. We began to better understand how it had happened though.

Back to the present ... The next morning, with a smile on their faces and breakfast set out on the floor besides me, they left to go shopping. The two fingers, holding their noses gave me an indication that I needed to shave and shower, not to mention a few more personal things. I prioritized and tore into the food like a starving animal.

Long ago ... Vivian and I had seemed to always be together. Our marriage ended up to be almost the same thing. Joining up with the Marines separated us for the first time. The void that separation caused was soon filled in. Both of us just forgot about the other. On one surprise trip home I met my replacement. Viv acted more like a cat in heat with him, as I watched her slithering all over him.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.