Marine Games - Cover

Marine Games

Copyright© 2013 by Frabarn

Chapter 6: The Olympic Games

Bret was in the process of getting his luggage and paper work ready for the trip to London, for the Olympics. Diane, Ann, Heather and Andy came into his room.

"Bret, what clothes are you taking to wear at the Olympics? We were talking and realized you never wear anything but your issued clothing."

Bret answered with a grimace, "That's the only clothing I own, except what the Olympic committee issued me to wear when preforming."

All four girls were speechless with their shock. For the last three years, Bret had been giving allowances every other month to make sure their wardrobes were sufficient. He had supplied them homes to live in, cars for transportation, food for the tables, and money for the other basic needs to survive. Never did they think he was depriving himself similar items.

Heather quickly asked. "Why don't you have a car? Why do you still live in the barracks? Why don't you have any civilian clothes?"

Bret shyly answered." I don't own a car because I don't know how to drive one. I live in the barracks because it is free, and I have always lived in barracks. I am comfortable there. The Marine Corps and the Olympic Committee have given me so many new clothes over the years that I still have some I have never worn. Why should I buy clothes when I have more than I can wear now?"

Only Andy truly understood what he was saying. Bret had had nothing for so long, he truly didn't know that people could own something as a statement of who they were. His needs were more than adequately being met, why would he spend good money to possess more? He had thought about learning to drive, but since he ran everywhere he didn't really see the point. The girls had never refused to take him the few times he needed transportation.

Ann was crying when she asked? "Why can you give so much of yourself and what you have to strangers, but yet ask for nothing in return?"

Bret instantly jumped on Ann's question, saying, "Ladies you give me riches I thought only existed in the books I read. You allow me to be a part of your lives and your children's lives. In my entire life I only received hugs from one person until I met you. The only person who I knew truly loved me was Andy. I now know Mike Miyagi loved me also but his love was never shown in a physical manner. You have no idea how treasured a hug, a touch on the arm, or a kiss on the cheek is to someone who never received one. I was ten years old before the first person showed me I was not a monster and wanted to touch me. Andy and Mike were the first persons that didn't cringe away from me and turn and go the other way. The scars on my face, which people find fascinating now made me a monster when I was a child. When you worry about me having the right clothes I only worry about losing the happiness that I now have."

At that time Bret was mobbed in a group hug with four crying females. Talks of a shopping spree were put off but not forgotten. Unbeknownst to Bret, plans were made later that evening.

The logistics of taking the entire family to London were such that it was decided that Andy, Mike Miyagi, Diane, Ann and Bill Wilson would attend. The rest of the family would stay at home with the children, all of whom were really too young to enjoy it. Ann and Heather flipped a coin to decide between them. The night before the departure, a party was held to send off the hopeful. Over fifty people were there to send them off. During the party Bret was presented a new set of luggage. In this luggage were the first new Levi's Bret had ever owned, a pair of Dockers, three short sleeve dress shirts and three knit shirts. The girls had hidden his marine duffel bag, so he had no choice but to take the new clothes. They had transferred the required Olympic clothes before the bag disappeared.

Several Olympic team members approached Bret to ask if he would like to carry the Flag into the stadium. Since Bret was the only one in this year and the first in many years to compete in two totally different disciplines, they thought it would be appropriate. With Andy's and Bob's agreement he accepted the honor. So it was that when The United States of America was announced Bret led the contingent into the arena. The family and friends at home being unaware this was going to happen were ecstatic. Between family, Judge King and family, 1st Squads from both the games, fellow DI's and other Marine friends there were close to seventy-five attending the party at the cul de sac. Being able to close off the street made for a festive and safe celebration. The two, 1st Squads, had rented two of the largest TV's they could find for the opening ceremony. The Olympics were started.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.