Marine Games - Cover

Marine Games

Copyright© 2013 by Frabarn

Chapter 1: Boot Camp

To say that boot camp was an eye opener does not even come close. It was impossible to say who was more shocked. The DI's were dumb founded because you could not keep a smile off Bret's face. Bret on the other hand could not believe he was being given such riches. Bret just stared, not believing he was actually receiving sure wonderful gifts. Let us look at the first day from Bret's eyes.

The morning started with a three mile run. Running in their civilian clothes and shoes, the other recruits were in agony. Bret had always run in civilian clothes and shoes, never having owned athletic clothes or shoes. Bret just smiled, realizing he could continue one of his joys in life. Running in formation was different and the distance was disappointing, but he was happy that he still got to run. The shower afterwards was especially nice, in that there seemed to be no end to hot water. At the orphanage the water was tepid, at best.

He was given toothpaste, for the first time. It was a truly wondrous gift, which made his mouth feel wonderful. Then they were marched to chow. The idea that he could have as much of this truly great food as he wanted, put a huge smile on his face. There being a choice of beverages almost made him cry. The DI's were amazed that this young man was eating breakfast with such relish.

Clothing issue was the first event of the day, and almost caused a disaster. When the issue of clothes was placed before Bret he went into denial. Never is his life had he been given even one new thing to wear and now there was this abundance before him. He could not comprehend why he was being given so many of each item. Having only one pair of shoes his entire life Bret couldn't understand why he was being given two pair of boots, two pairs of shoe and even a pair of athletics shoes. One of the DI's begin to understand Bret, and gently helped him place everything in his duffle bag. He was assured that, yes, they all belonged to him and, no, he wouldn't have to give anything back.

The haircut, physical, and shots were also things that Bret had never experienced. At the orphanage he had cut his own hair, with a pair of scissors. Although required by law Bret had never had a physical, seen a doctor, or had a shot. Only kids who got sick received those.

Once back at the barracks Bret listened attentively when it was explained where and how to put all of his gifts away. Exercises before lunch, once again surprised and disappointed Bret, due to the lack of repetitions. But at least he had exercise. Lunch was again a great experience, with plenty of hot food and again a choice of beverage. While his fellow recruits whined, Bret happily ate his fill.

Training after lunch reminded Bret of his time at the dojo, which once again brought back good memories. Bret's time at the dojo allowed him to quickly absorb the instructions from the DI's. Another run and more exercise before supper put Bret into a feeling of peace and contentment. Never in Bret's life had he had three hot meals in the same day. So when they reached the chow hall for supper, it was almost more than he could comprehend.

There were so many things to learn and do that evening, that the first and only sadness of the day entered into his mind. There was no time or opportunity for him to read, the last of his escapes into happiness. With all the amazing and wondrous things that had happened to him he felt he could sacrifice this one item of happiness. Although most of the recruits found sleeping in the barracks strange, to Bret this was the one normal thing that had happened all day. And thus began Bret's life in the Marines.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.