The Case of the Missing Woman
Chapter 17: The Holidays

Copyright© 2013 by Mendon Fishers

The Thanksgiving meal was a great success. Dr Jim, Tara and Angela sat next to each other and chatted continuously. They even took the time to include Todd, Jenny and Dean in their conversations. We had a very comfortable time. Angela even helped serve the desserts and pour the after dinner coffee. As I watched, I realized that Angela was actually enjoying herself with my family. She seemed relaxed for the first time since arriving. I was happy for her.

She spent all the next week with the kids. She even put on an apron and helped in the kitchen. I snapped a picture on my cell phone of her working in the kitchen. I sent the picture to her father. I know he wouldn't believe it.

Two days later, I got punched in the arm by Angela. "You sent that kitchen picture to my father! I'll never live it down. He'll tease me about it forever," she complained.

I rubbed my arm and laughed. "Boy, could she hit hard, " I thought.

Her two weeks were up too quickly and she waved goodbye from the back of her limo. Tara put her arm through mine and said, "Dad, she asked me to save her Kate's Cabin for Christmas and New Years. I guess we passed inspection."

"Do you think she'd like a stuffed fish for a Christmas Gift?" I asked.

That comment got me another punch in the arm. "Damn these women could punch," I thought.

My cell phone went off a couple of days later, "Your family is all I've heard about since she got back," was all the laughing voice on the other end said before disconnecting.

I began to worry about a Christmas present. I mean what do you buy a person who comes from that much money and power? Hell I lived in the backwoods of Vermont; there were not a lot of fancy places to shop around here.

One night I noticed that Tara was getting home later and later when she and Jim went out. I started watching the times a little closer. Hell I was a father and she was my daughter. I don't care how old she was, she was still my little girl.

One night she didn't come home from her date with Jim. The next day she was all smiles. I guess she and Jim were compatible that way too. From then on, anytime they were together, they couldn't keep their hands off each other.

I had a feeling that if they weren't careful, I'd be a grandfather before my time. The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea.

As Christmas approached, I still didn't have a present for Angela. I broke down and left a message for her father to call me. I explained to the voice that answered what I needed and was told that someone would return my call. Later that day, I received a text message. "There's a sold out special concert in Boston she'd love to attend. I'll send you two tickets for New Years Eve."

I texted back, "I thought you said it was sold out?"

"It is, but I have friends."

That statement brought into the forefront of my mind, "He's a criminal. So what are his friends?"

The tickets appeared by FedEx in two days. There was no bill. I went on line and checked the theater. They were very good seats. The tickets were also stamped VIP.

A few days later an envelope addressed to me, with no return address appeared. When I open the envelope there was a clipping from part of a newspaper. The clipping described how a fire had killed a very rich couple in their beds. The article went on to point out that the fire chief said the fire was of suspicious origin. On the back of the paper was written, "TWO DOWN. MORE TO FOLLOW FROM YOUR BARN FIRE."

As I looked at the article, I realized they were talking about the slavery ring that had once operated near my Lodge. I got out my cell phone and called the Don's number. I was told he wasn't available to talk and would I like to leave a message.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.