The Case of the Missing Woman - Cover

The Case of the Missing Woman

Copyright© 2013 by Mendon Fishers

Chapter 14: Fall

It was fall and Percy was working with his guides to assure the hunters had a good time when they started arriving. They walked the trails and looked for signs of game for the hunters. There were plenty of sign. The hunters would have a good season, if they were really hunters.

For the others, Percy hoped that the camaraderie between fellows would fulfill their desires.

Percy was just walking along enjoying the outdoors when his cell phone rang. There was nothing usual about this. The lodge was always calling for one thing or another but this time the caller ID was blank. It wasn't "Caller Blocked" or "Unknown caller" but blank. Somebody very powerful had arranged for this happen. Percy decided to answer his phone formally, "Chief Holmes speaking," he said.

"Hello Percy, Remember me?" a voice asked.

Of course Percy remembered the voice. It belonged to one of the most powerful crime bosses in the Northeast.

One night as he was leaving his favorite diner in Philly a limo pulled up and blocked his path. Percy put a hand on his gun expecting trouble.

A voice he suddenly recognized said, "There's no need for that gun Detective Holmes, I just want to meet you face to face and say thank you." The Don got out of his car and shook Percy's hand and then kissed both cheeks. "I promise that my people will do nothing in your area to increase your workload, if you understand my meaning, and if you ever need anything, please call me and ask. I will do anything in my power to help you." He handed Percy a business card with only a phone number on it, "You can reach me anywhere and at any time through this number. You may use it anytime. Leave a message and I will return your call."

The Don got back in his limo and was driven away. He was a man about 15 years older than Percy. He looked normal if you discount the perfect clothes, the perfect hair, and the perfect smile. He looked exactly like your average rich man except for the eyes. The eyes were dead and they returned nothing when you looked into them. As his eyes had surveyed him, a chill had run up Percy's spine. If this was how the Don's eyes regarded a friend, Percy would hate to be an enemy.

"Of course I remember you. I hope the years have been good to you," was all Percy replied. It was up to the caller to continue.

"Percy, I think you and I might soon be related. All I hear from my grandson is "Tara" this and "Tara" that. It appears he is infatuated with your daughter."

"While I respect you and consider you my friend, I don't like the idea of my daughter becoming a part of your family. I remember all too clearly what happened to your wife at the hands of an enemy." Percy answered honestly.

"Percy my friend, I'm just calling to warn you that my daughter wants to meet her prospective daughter-in-law and is coming your way. She can be hell on wheels when she's in the protective "mother" mode. But Perc, she's really a nice person. I say this as any father would," he chuckled.

"But Don Vito," he plead, "I worry not about your grandson, but about your enemies."

""Percy, I am offended that you would think that I would abandon my family. All members of my family are discreetly watched constantly. I have no wish for them to suffer the same fate as my late wife. They are better protected than anything you could do for them. And besides, James wants only to be a doctor. He wants nothing to do with my 'businesses.'"

"Well old friend if it is meant to be, it will be an interesting wedding. Send your daughter to visit any time. Just call first so that we can have a place for her to put her head."

The last thing Percy heard was the Don saying, "You may regret inviting her."

That year winter turned out to be a sad time at the lodge. One morning after serving breakfast to our guests, Tara took a breakfast tray down to her mother's cabin. We heard Tara's scream all the way back up at the main lodge. Percy, his son and one of the guides ran down the hill to Kate's cabin where we found Tara in tears.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.