Death Becomes Her
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2013 by Invid Fan

Menolly looked down at her phone. It wasn't Ai's fault. There had been no reason to get angry while talking to her, to upset the blue creature who at times seemed the avatar of love. No. She had to save her anger for those who deserved it.

She looked around. Snow, as far as the eye could see. A blanket which promised cold, eternal sleep. Brown trees, branches empty, awaiting the resurrection that was spring. Evergreens, needles trapping the snow, as if pulling that blanket over themselves, not knowing the death awaiting if they were buried.

Her sister did not trust her. That was the problem. Violet did not trust her little sister to take care of herself, to do what was right. To keep herself alive in a small snowstorm. As if she had not lived through blizzards her whole life. Had not been trusted with the younger ones, taking care of them alone at the house.

Violet thought she had come to the cabin to die.

Which was silly. She was going to die, yes. Everyone was, eventually. For Menolly, it might come sooner than she or anyone else wanted, but she had not come out here to die. She came to live. Live the way she wanted to live whatever was left of her life. They had no right, none, to tell her what to do. No right to force any help on her. None. None...

She let herself fall back against the car door. Her head was cold. She hadn't worn a hat, a stupid thing to do. The sun was warm, yes, but the wind was cold. She missed her hair. It had been blond, curly, kept short like Mommy Rachel. It would come back, now, they said. Now that the treatments were over. Maybe the cancer was gone. Maybe she would live long enough to see herself again, the mirror showing the twenty year old she knew she was...

A car was coming down the road. An SUV with four wheel drive, driven by what looked like an eighty year old woman. It slowed. Pushing off of her car, Menolly quickly walked over as the driver lowered the window.

"Everything OK?"

"We're good," Menolly said, hoping she sounded awake and cheerful as hot air blew out at her. "I'm letting him dig out the truck he stupidly left there."

"Good." The old woman looked over Menolly's head. "Men should earn their keep. Well, good day to you."

"And you." Menolly backed up, smiling, as the vehicle pulled away, window rising quickly. She liked her. Friendly, helpful, but not TOO much of either. That woman had shit to do, and nothing frivolous was going to stop her.

The radio playing Salt n Pepper had also been a nice touch.

Another car was coming. This one, she knew. Menolly looked back at her car, the idea of letting Canth out to provide backup rolling around her head. The dog would probably go off into the snow to play, though. Not much backup there. She saw Jeff stop in his shoveling, leaning on his anti-snow device. His breathing wasn't too hard.

"Busy road."

"Naturally." She couldn't see Ve, which was good. It wouldn't matter with this car, but if someone came by while she was yelling at them...

The blue minivan slowed, the surprise of its two occupants evident to Menolly even from here. Well, of the driver. Anything that surprised the other would have to be audio based. Menolly found herself back at her car, leaning back on the front door, arms crossed.

Let them come to her, if they're this insistent.

The van came to a stop ten feet in front of her car, pulling across the road to put both vehicles on the same side. The two passengers leaned their heads together, probably making plans on how to deal with a headstrong sibling. They kissed, a quick touch of the lips Menolly tried not to feel jealous about. That was not the issue here. Finally the van doors opened.

Cynthia was the first to drop to the ground. Red hair was the first thing you noticed, long, curly. It drew the eye like a second sun. Her body was slender, but with flesh and curves. No bony model was she. Cynthia wore a black dress, falling down to the top of her black boots, a black winter jacket covering her top.

It was not until your eye returned to her face that one noticed she had no eyes.

Menolly smiled at her sister-in-law. The woman not bothering with the sun glasses today amused her. Which was good. There would be no amusement to be had from her oldest sister.

Violet dropped down against the snowbank, cursing. The woman that crawled around to the front of the van had skin of milk chocolate, the face of a Mayan goddess. Her body was fleshy, hips curved the way the gods had intended them to. Her jeans did not so much conceal, as accent. She wore a blue jacket similar to Menolly's, both gifts from some Christmas past. Her eyes were intelligent, wary. They took in the non-shoveling Jeff, considering, before returning to Menolly. Crossing the front of the car, she took her wife's hand. The two approached.

"Good morning," Menolly said, giving a slight smile. "Wonderful weather we're having here."

"Morning." Her sister was frowning. "What's going on?"

"Oh, you know. I'm always picking up hunky men. I'm done with him, though, so if you two want him he's all yours. In fact, I insist on it."

Cynthia's empty eyes narrowed, obviously catching the change in tone. Her right hand went up to her shoulder, stroking against nothingness. Her other hand touched Violet's arm.

"Ro is agitated. Did something happen, Menolly? Are you OK?"

"Oh, I am fine. More than fine. Head is cold, but other than that I'm perfect." She motioned with her head towards the now shoveling Jeff. "He, on the other hand, is dead. Or," she added, before their reaction could become more than a blink in surprise, "he whould be, if the Red Thing now sitting in his truck hadn't been stopped by Canth from doing its thing."

She watched their reaction.

It was wrong.

Menolly could see the shock as Violet saw the yellow hair inside the truck cab, saw the two women clasp hands together. Cynthia lost all color from her face.

What she did not see was surprise.

Why...

Ice went through her veins. Menolly staggered to the front of her car, hand on the hood. She thought she'd faint. With effort, she forced herself up straight.

"You didn't."

They turned to her. She saw her sister's eyes. Saw her fears confirmed. Saw the guilt. Menolly's voice became a log growl.

"How could you..."

"Sis, we just..."

"YOU TRAINED CANTH TO STOP THEM!" With a roar, Menolly was before her sister, right hand slapping her cheek with all her strength. Violet stood her ground, taking the blow. Menolly grabbed the front of her jacket. "Do you have ANY idea what you've DONE?! What you've created? Another Ai! Another creature in our world! Gods above and below, YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER!"

A hand touched her arm. Menolly whirled. Cynthia's face was distraught.

"Menolly, we just..."

"And you! Cynthia! Why?!" Menolly was going to cry. Was crying. To be this thoughtless! "You've SEEN them! Touched them! You've told us, time and time again, they're the way the universe its! Amoral! You don't interfere!"

"You stopped the chemo. You won't listen to our Moms..." Menolly whirled back to Violet.

"BULLSHIT! You gave me Canth long before that! Was he trained then? If this worked, were you going to give all of us trained dogs? Keep ALL of us alive forever? Gods damn you!"

"Menolly..."

"Fuck this!" She took a step back, shaking her head clear. "Jeff, this is Violet and Cynthia. Sis, this is Jeff and your new friend Ve. I've already called Ai, and Martha's calling Mrs. Darrow. They're all yours. The cabin isn't shut down yet. I'm going home."

"Menolly!"

She ignored them. Climbing into the car, she slammed the door. Menolly saw them just standing there in front of her. Faces full of shock. Good. Let this soak into their thick skulls for a while. She was washing her hands of it. Starting the car, she saw she had just enough room to pull around them.

They leapt out of the way anyway.


One does not flee on an empty tank of gas.

Menolly pulled into the combination general store/gas station, stopping beside a pump. Turning off the ignition, it hit her. The tears. She couldn't help it. Her body shook, nose began to run.

Why?

Why couldn't they understand? Why couldn't they just let her be? Was it selfish not to want to be in PAIN? To want some CONTROL? That's all she wanted. Weren't they more selfish, not wanting her death to cause THEM sorrow? It wasn't about them!

A cold nose touched her cheek, a wet tongue licked her face.

It wasn't Canth's fault. He had just done what he was taught. It probably came from being born down with Ai, of being one of the many puppies gifted to them by Pooh Bear and Tippy. They could see the invisible monkey-thing Cynthia had, her familiar. Her sister had probably noticed something, and...

She pulled out a tissue. The dog was doing a good job wiping up her snot, but she had to get herself under control. It was a long drive.

"Thank you, Canth. You're a good boy." Blowing into the tissue, she grabbed the dog's head with her free hand and gave it a good shake. "I have to go inside. I'll get you something, too."

Maybe she could find a new life in there.


The hunk with the curly brown hair was at the counter again, leaning back against the cigarette case, an iPad in his hand. He was more slender than the undead beefcake, but his arms bulged nicely out of his short sleeved pullover shirt. Menolly knew she had to look a mess, but she wasn't in the mood for flirting. She wished she was. He looked up, eyes widening.

"Hello again! Looking for anything in particular?"

He recognized her. Naturally. How many young bald women came in here? The fact he seemed happy to see her did cheer her up. She smiled, at least she tried.

"Let me just wander for a minute. I'll need $40 in gas on pump two."

"Take your time."

The store was empty, everyone probably either at home or on the ski slopes. This place had probably been busy earlier, everyone hitting it for that quick hot coffee. Menolly preferred her caffeine carbonated. So, she needed some pop, a bag of chips, dog treats...

"Menolly!"

Heather stepped around the end of an aisle, the black haired cop dressed in the same uniform she had worn last night. Well, a twin of it at least. If the hunk had been happy to see her, Heather was overjoyed. She moved up to Menolly quickly, smile infectious.

"Hi! I thought you were heading home! How's your patient?"

The woman didn't hug her. Menolly almost wished she had, although not being a hugger herself she probably would have reacted awkwardly. Heather did take her hands, though. The grip felt ... nice.

"My sister showed up, so I dumped the guy on them. I am heading home, but need supplies."

"What's this about a patient?"

The hunky clerk came up to them. Menolly thought she felt blood rush to her cheeks. She hoped she wasn't blushing. With her luck, her entire head would turn red. That would be subtle. Heather cocked her head at the man.

"This is the woman I was telling you about, with the injured snowmobiler."

"Oh! The saint who was nursing the idiot!" His smile lit up his face. Her own felt hotter.

"He said he was taking a shortcut."

He chuckled.

"Shortcuts make long delays."

Menolly almost forgot to breath. That quote. He read. Understood. Quickly, she turned to look at Heather. The woman seemed very amused for some reason. Menolly realized, at that moment, she was still holding one of her hands.

She had no desire to let go.

"Paul," Heather said, smile on her lips, "you have that new girl coming in soon to cover the register?"

"Yeah, Betty. Should be here any minute."

"How about we take Menolly here to lunch in the back room? My treat."

"Sounds good. I'll make some fresh subs."

This was moving way too fast. Menolly, instinctively tried to stall.

"I have my dog in the car..."

"Bring him in," Paul said. "I'll make him a sandwich, too."


"So, Dad pours the Kool-Aid for us, and Jaxom grabbed his cup and took this HUGE swig. I mean, downs the entire thing! He was always showing off! And suddenly, he's spitting it out, coughing! Well, we all have to taste it, then, to see what's the matter. I took a sip, and, blah! Horrible. I couldn't even describe it! Dad's looking at us, thinking we're all crazy. Then Nadia, who was in the bathroom, comes outside ... and asks Dad why there's an open salt container on the counter!"

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.