Undercover Rose
Chapter 65

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

I awoke at my usual 6 AM, but I wasn't in my usual place. I was in Ellie the Editor's bed. I had no idea how far I was from my temporary apartment, but I knew I needed to get home. I had been out of touch with Church Camp since I sent them a coded Email message explaining where I was mentally, and where I would be headed physically. They wouldn't start to worry until noon, but I needed to get back to my computer before the noon check in deadline.

"Come back to bed," Ellie the Editor said.

"I got to be somewhere in a couple of hours. I need to get a cab back to my place and get dressed. Besides you proved your point. The country girl can be compromised," I said.

"You know that's bullshit," she said turning to face the wall and presumably go back to sleep. I thought, how easy it would be to drive a little yellow pencil in the base of her neck. I didn't do it because I still needed her. Truthfully her offense didn't rise to the level needed to terminate her life.

"Whatever," I said using the most infuriating word I could think of at that moment. I put on the semen stained skirt after using a sponge she had on her counter to wipe them off. I found my new panties stretched but still wearable. My bra was the only part of my wardrobe undamaged. I put it on, then found my torn blouse. It looked pretty ragged and I had nothing to cover it with. I went back into the bedroom and opened the closet.

"What are you doing," Ellie the editor asked.

"I'm stealing a blouse unless you want me walking around looking like a rape victim," I said angrily.

"Look in the drawer. There are some Tee shirts take one," she said.

"Thanks," I said.

I left her apartment in short black, water spotted, skirt and a red tee shirt a couple of sizes too large. The three inch heels looked out of place with the red tee shirt, but there wasn't much I could do about it. The little clutch bag held the burner phone and my wallet. The wallet held money, my credit card and ID. I used the cell to call a taxi. I was standing outside her little brownstone apartment when it arrived as the sun crept over the horizon.

I had the taxi drop me outside the little neighborhood restaurant. In the south it would have been called a diner. I went inside and found the same sign posted on the same chrome pole. There were few people, but everyone honored the no single diners at the tables rule. I went to the counter and saw a young woman sitting alone.

I sat down beside her. "Hi, how would you like to do me a favor?" I asked.

"I don't have any money," she said.

"No it isn't that. I hate sitting at the counter, but they have a no singles at the tables policy. I'll buy your breakfast, if you sit with me at a table. You don't have to say a word," I said.

She looked at me and said, "Sure, but it's just breakfast right?"

"Like I said, you don't even have to speak," I repeated.

I chose a table for two, so I wouldn't get fussed at for taking too much space. I ordered eggs with cheese, bacon, and an English muffin. I never ate English muffins, but I didn't see biscuits on the menu.

"Do you really hate eating at the counter, or were you hitting on me?" my breakfast companion asked as she cut her Danish with a fork.

"I hate the counter that much, and you were the best choice. I would never ask a man. A man wouldn't have asked my intentions he would just assume I was a hooker," I said with a laugh.

"Yeah, you have a point," she said.

"So what brings you out so early," I asked.

"Is this early?" she asked.

"Yeah it is," I suggested.

"I just stopped for coffee and a danish. I'm on my way to work," she said.

"So what do you do?" I asked.

"Garbage collector," she said.

"Shit, you are a cop?" I asked. "I should have known. It's too nice a day for the jacket."

"It's a little cool, but you are right the jacket is to hide the Smith," she said.

"Well you are so young, you must be a rookie," I said taking a bite of the eggs. "Geeze how do they manage to cook an egg, so it has no taste?"

"Three years in, and they probably put them in a mold and microwave them. Part of the health kick, we all seem to be on now," she said. "I got to run, it was real."

"Yeah, see you tomorrow?" I asked.

"Okay, but just so you know, I'm straight," she said.

"Just so you know, I like men to," I replied.

"Fair enough 6:00 AM tomorrow at the waffle and egg on 3rd Avenue and 91st Street. They still cook the food on top of the stove there," she said.

"Fair enough," I said. I had a hard time understanding her Brooklyn accent. I was also sure she was having a problem with mine. On the walk home, I wondered how she pegged me as a dyke. I wondered if she was a plant. Then I looked for a paranoid pill, since there was not a chance of her being a plant.

When I got home, I took a shower. I dressed in jeans and a cut up light weight sweatshirt. I tried the sofa bed again and found the cushions on the floor were more comfortable. They just wouldn't stay together. I gave up and opened the bed and plopped down on it. The springs poked me so that the nap was less than a great idea.

I awoke from my less than adequate nap just before noon. I decided to try sleeping on the sofa bed as a sofa. I figured the springs wouldn't jab me through the cushions.

Rather than go back to sleep, I checked the mail. The coded message from Church Camp advised me they had arranged a set of press credentials. It seemed that Ellie the Editor applied for a UN pass for me. Swamp Dog's nerd approved them within an hour. So beginning tomorrow I would be able to attend briefings. That should allow me to make contact with Sarah without raising her suspicions.

Jeremy and Alice were doing well and would be up to help in the next few days. I was looking forward to seeing them. I was looking forward to seeing anyone except Ellie the Editor. I had about enough of her, I decided. With a little luck I would have breakfast the next morning with the girlie cop. In the meantime I chose a frozen dinner from the freezer part of the fridge.

It wasn't awful but it certainly wasn't as good as my dinner the night before. Still I preferred it to eating with Ellie again. I had expected her to call, if for nothing more than to recover her red tee shirt. I didn't burn it or put lipstick stains on it but I should have.

Wilson could have somehow arranged the UN press pass, but they had me get it from Ellie. I knew he had to have a reason, probably because the whole thing was different. Wilson was involved and Swamp Dog was using a real person's ID, people who could stand up to the background check. Maybe this way was better, I guessed that I would be finding out soon.

I decided to get dressed and walk the halls of the UN building. It might be interesting to meet some of the players, I thought. Then I thought it might be fun to just visit one of the parks and watch the kids play. It was a hard choice, but I chose the kids over the politicians. I could always meet the politicians when Sarah arrived.

I knew that I needed to be seen at the UN before she arrived so I decided to go to the UN the next day for sure. I needed some time off and the email said that tomorrow was soon enough to start working on the cover.

I got the bike from the closet and then hooked up the battery before pushing the bike to the street. I pedaled out onto the road and began moving the bike in the direction where my GPS directed me. I had programmed in the name of a park, one which was closer and smaller than Central Park. It was several blocks away, but I was enjoying the ride. I pedaled some to give the illusion that I was not riding a motor bike.

When I got to the park, I parked the bike in a bike rack. I used the stranded cable to secure it. I still had to paint the bike, but that could wait. I sat near the playground watching the children play. If I had been a man I would not have dared to watch strange kids at play. Some hysterical mom would be screaming pervert. I'm sure there are some perverted women. I just wasn't one of them.

I wandered through the park watching as the joggers ran and the kids played. I came upon a soccer game, but I didn't stay to watch. I had no idea what the rules of the game might be. Believe it or not, cute but unrelated kids got boring pretty quick. I chose to ride the bike around the neighborhood to familiarize myself with my surroundings. I met a police car in a less than busy intersection. I immediately went to the pedals. I tried to be as stealthy as possible. I had a pretty good idea where things were in the neighborhood after that ride.

I didn't open the sofa that night. I just rolled in a blanket and fell asleep. The sofa would have been short for a six foot guy, but at five feet six inches it was a good fit for me. I just could roll around. I feared falling on the floor. I was up at 5 AM and began to run in the twilight. I carried a few bucks in my cardboard wallet as well as my credit card and cell phone. I ran until 5:30 then headed to the Waffle and Egg for breakfast. I arrived before my cop friend.

"You did show up," I said when I saw her enter. I had ordered a pretty bad cup of coffee from the waitress behind the counter. When my cop pal showed. I moved to one of the tables.

"Do you run?" she asked seeing my jogging suit.

"I try, but I'm not much of a competitor," I lied.

"Oh I run, but I run in Brooklyn. I just work here," she said. "I have to run after work. It's too dangerous to run in my neighborhood in the dark."

"Too bad, I was going to ask you to run with me, so you could protect me while I ran.

"I just knew there was a catch to being your friend," she said with a smile.

"No catch, I'm just a stranger in this land," I said. "You really could come run with me in the mornings. I would even make coffee and danish for you after."

"I'll bet I could even shower at your place," she said defensively.

"What is your problem," I asked getting a little defensive myself. "I could hardly force you do anything. So what's your name?"

"Jamie," she said carefully.

"You might not believe this officer Jamie, but I have a lock on my bathroom door," I said showing my ire.

"What's your name?" she asked a little less judgmental.

"Laura Edwards," I stated.

"Laura, if you are a competent female officer, the other cops think you are a dyke. I'm just a little too cautious. I appreciate the offer but no thanks," she said.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.