The Reluctant Sultan
Chapter 2: Getting Settled and Getting the Lowdown

Copyright© 2013 by Coaster2

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 2: Getting Settled and Getting the Lowdown - Gabe Hancock was sent to Seattle by his brother to get the operation back to profitability or close it. He wasn't of a mind to give up, especially when four dynamic women gave him every reason to succeed.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Group Sex   Interracial  

I spent the rest of my first day going over what passed for sales records. It was a pretty shallow pool. It appeared the available data amounted to pounds and dollars sold to each account. It didn't differentiate between institutional or food service customers, nor resellers or retail outlets. It looked like I had some very long hours of work to set up proper record-keeping for the sales department. I wondered who the computer guru for Lynnwood was.

"Talk to Jim Stokes, Gabe," Sue advised. "He's forever complaining that we are operating in the dark ages when it comes to using the capabilities of our computers. We got all new computers and monitors a couple of years ago and aside from my accounting package and the scheduling and customer files, we aren't using the system to its advantage. The sales information is next to useless."

"We've got programs for every facet of the business. Why haven't they gotten to Lynnwood?"

She shrugged. "You'd have to ask Don. I know Walter doesn't want any more than he gets now, but that's just Walter. I think we need to get past that and break the information down and analyze it if we want to learn anything."

"Okay. I can see how computers can be intimidating to people who aren't familiar with them. But hell, the young people in this place use them every day. We've spent a lot of time and money developing programs to help us run the business better. I can't understand why they aren't being used here."

"Like I said, talk to Don," she said, not wanting to take the conversation further.

"Do you mind if I use your phone for a couple of minutes?" I asked.

"Not at all," she agreed, pushing the unit across her desk toward me.

I punched in the familiar number and waited.

"Jaz, it's Gabe. I need your help."

"What do you need?" came the familiar voice.

"Just about everything. I'm in the Lynnwood office and I need a list of all the programs we use on the branch computers and their current version dating. The place appears to be behind the times and we need to find out just how far."

"I'll have it to you in about thirty seconds," he said.

"That slow?" I kidded. "Thanks, Jaz. I think you and I will be talking soon."

"Any time, Gabe. Oh, and when you find out, let me know who the liaison person in Lynnwood is. I only have Don Nichol and a Susan Barnes on my list and I understand she's the controller."

"That's right, but that will change. I'll be talking to you. Thanks again."

I hung up and pushed the phone back to Sue's side of the desk.

"That was Jaziz Darwinder. He's in charge of all our computer programs. Any updates or new programs are sent to the branch manager and the designated IT person as soon as they are available. Aside from Don, you were the only other person he had on his list and that was for accounting packages. He's sent me a list of all the programs and what their current versions are. Do you have Wi-Fi here?"

She shook her head. "No. Just Ethernet cable."

"Okay, I'll cable up to an unused unit and download the information Jaz is sending. Then we can get some idea of how much work we have ahead of us. I'll talk to Jim Stokes and have him connect with Jaz to see if he's able to take on the responsibility. I hope that won't mess up your role for him."

"No, not at all. I think, if anything, it might make our workload less. Go for it," she smiled.

"Are you okay with that dinner meeting tonight?"

"I'm really looking forward to it. We haven't had a think session in a long time. It's a shame Caleb can't be here. He'd add a lot to the input."

I nodded. "Off the record, between you and me only, what's your assessment of Don?"

"That's not fair, Gabe. He's my boss and he's a really sweet man. I'm not comfortable discussing him."

I sighed. On the one hand I was proud of Sue's reluctance, but on the other, I was beginning to suspect Don was part of the problem. Just what part, I didn't know.

"Don has been sent every computer program and update, yet few if any of them have been used. I'm going to have to find out why," I explained.

Sue was very hesitant to say more, but finally, "I think Don's retirement can't come too soon. I have a feeling that it won't last very long," she said sadly, a tear forming as she looked away.

"Okay, I understand what you're saying. He and my father are old friends. We'll make sure he's treated well, don't worry."

She nodded wordlessly.

I stopped at the cubicle that belonged to Jim Stokes and introduced myself.

"Jim, we're going to need some help updating and upgrading the computer systems for Lynnwood. I need someone here who can shepherd that and keep the place current. Do you think you could cope with that?"

"I'm sure if it's a matter of installing programs and updates that I could manage. But how does Sue feel about that?"

"No problem," I smiled. "I think she knows you're the right guy and she's supportive."

"In that case, bring it on," he grinned.

"Okay, I want you to contact Jaziz Darwinder in San Francisco. He's responsible for all our programs. First thing though, is to get us converted to wireless and make sure our security systems are up to date. He can give you the name of the contractor and get that underway. You and I will be the first contact for new and upgraded programs."

"That's great. I've been hoping we would catch up on software. If Sue says it's okay, then I'm your guy."

I liked his enthusiasm and I was hopeful he would do a good job. The question that now began to bother me more was Don Nichol. Why hadn't he implemented the necessary programs? He didn't strike me as being so old fashioned that he would resist change. There must be a reason. I wondered who would be the best person I could talk to about it.

I left the office early to get ready for our dinner meeting. I also wanted some privacy for a phone call.

"Brother Dave, how are you?" I asked.

"I'm fine, Gabe. What can I do for you?"

"How often have you been speaking with Don Nichol in the past year?"

"Not very often, to be honest. I've had other priorities."

"Have you noticed anything in his performance or his behavior that seemed unusual?"

"Not that I can think of," Dave said thoughtfully. "He did miss most of the first day of a manager's meeting last year. Apparently he got confused about when it started and had to catch a late flight to be here."

"Anything else that you can think of?" I asked.

"Well, during the last meeting, the one he was late getting to, he wasn't very active. He seemed a little off, if you know what I mean."

"No, but I'm getting the impression there might be a problem. I've discovered that most of the programs that Jaz has developed for the branches are either not installed or out of date here in Lynnwood. There has been no one assigned to deal with computer systems and that's Don's responsibility. Only Susan Barnes in accounting has an up-to-date system from what I can tell."

"Huh! That's strange. I never thought Don would be reluctant to keep the operation current. Any idea of what might be going on?"

"No ... not a clue. Can I ask as favor? Would you contact Dad and see what he knows. Don is planning to stop in there in his way to Arizona. Perhaps Dad could call him and have a chat about ... whatever. Maybe he can get an idea if there's anything wrong or out of place with him."

"Okay, that sounds like a reasonable approach. I know they've been close for many years. If Don has a problem, he's more likely to share it with Dad than anyone outside of Muriel."

"That's what I was thinking too. The people here are very protective of him and reluctant to share what they might know. He's been nothing but cooperative with me, so there's no resistance to my being here. It's just that something isn't right and I'd like to find out what it is if we can."

"I agree," my brother said immediately. "I'll call Dad right away and tell him what we're seeing."

"Thanks, Dave. I'm going to tread very gently with this, so I'll wait until I hear from you or Dad."

"Good, that's the way to handle it. You'll hear from one of us. Take care, Gabe."

I hung up the phone, wondering just what was happening with Don Nichol.


I could have started the six o'clock meeting early. The ladies were waiting for me when I stepped out of the elevator and into the lobby at a-quarter-to.

"Come on, let's have a drink before we head for the dining room," I suggested. "I want us to get to know each other, to feel confident we can say whatever is necessary to accomplish our objectives. Anything off the record will remain off the record, that's a promise."

I got quick agreement and we headed for the bar and found an unoccupied table.

"Is October always this nice in the Northwest?" I asked.

I got a rapid "No" in response.

"It can be anything from sun and fog to rain and wind," Lori said. "However, we don't very often have to shovel snow, so that's the benefit."

"I can live with that. I was thinking about our Denver operation," I said. "Lots of sun, but cold with snowstorms that can close the place. Great if you're a skier, but I can do without the snow."

"Where do you live when you're at home?" Jan asked.

"Good question. I have a small apartment in San Francisco, but I've been on the road so much in the last few years that I sometime forget where it is," I kidded. "For your information, it's my plan to see if I can't make this a home for myself. I'm fifty years old and I'm ready for something permanent."

I saw several looks pass between the ladies.

"Don said you were single," Sue said carefully, wondering perhaps if her comment was out-of-bounds.

"Divorced for the past ten years. Too much travel for me and too much alone time for my ex-wife. We parted amicably, but it was really all my fault. I loved the work and as much as I knew it was damaging my marriage, I couldn't seem to stop. But sooner or later, it all catches up to you. I'm through with that life and I'm hoping that Lynnwood is my last stop."

Once again, I saw quick glances between the women.

"Now, ladies, it's your turn," I grinned.

I saw them look to each other to decide who would go first. In the end, Jan took the lead.

"I'm divorced as well. Five years now. I guess it's no secret that the four of us have an unusual arrangement. Three years ago we bought a duplex. Each side has three bedrooms, along with all the usual rooms. Lexi and I live in one side, while Lori and Sue live in the other. And before you jump to any conclusions, no we are not lesbians or even bisexual. It was a good investment and it still is. We all get along well together and it made good sense to do what we did.

"Lori and I are both divorcees, Sue is a widow and Lexi has never married. More than once we've talked about leaving Black Gold and looking for something else. It's our loyalty to Don and the problem that we'd never find a job where all four of us could be together that has kept us here. We play golf in the nice weather and ride our bikes for exercise. We walk together as well. All in all, we have a good life that we'd like to hold on to. I'm hoping that you can help us with that."

I sat silently listening to Jan, admiring the confidence and lifestyle of these women. They were all single, but happy and content with most of their lives. If I could do something about securing their future at Black Gold, I think that would complete their vision of tomorrow.

"I told Don the first morning I was in the office that I was impressed with his female management. He told me that you four were the heart and soul of Black Gold in Lynnwood. It hasn't taken me very long to see what he means. Four powerful, confident and skilled women working toward a single goal. That is a potent force and a great foundation to build on. We'll do something about the weak parts ... either repair or replace, but the core of the business is in place."

I saw smiles now, nods of acceptance and agreement.

Let's go have dinner, ladies," I said, standing and waiting as they moved to the dining room.

We traded more personal information during the meal and refrained from talking business. I think the four of them knew that we would be getting into some heavy-duty stuff afterwards. When the meal was finished, I signed the bill and we moved to the small conference room just down the hall.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.