Sea Fencibles
Chapter 8: Deception

Copyright© 2013 by Argon

After four weeks of waiting the colonel out, he received an invitation to an evening of whist at Maynard's house. Lt. Greves was absent, and Maynard had obviously heard of Anson's card skills. He prepared himself meticulously for the evening. Stevens and Libby worked together to spiff up Anson's uniform. He now had shoes with gold-plated buckles and real silk stockings. Inspecting himself in one of the many mirrors the late Mr. Jarvis had hung from the walls Anson found nothing wanting.

He rode his own horse to his host's house and strode into the card room with all the assumed confidence he could muster.

"Ah! Good evening, Captain! How good of you to come and fill in on such short notice. You know Mr. Hapling, of course? Dr. Holbrook? Splendid!"

Soon the four men sat at the card table, a massive mahogany affair covered with green felt. Refreshments were offered, but Anson stuck to a light Rhine wine which he sipped sparingly. He was not accustomed to heavy drinking, and he wanted to keep his wits about him, not just for the card game but also to preserve secrecy about the state of affairs between him and Miss Elizabeth.

Anson was paired with Dr. Holbrook first, and they won the first rubber comfortably when Anson took a calculated risk leading with his King of Spades. Maynard was a little put off over this, for if Anson had played according to common wisdom, it would have been the Colonel who would have won the rubber with a string of clubs.

"Unorthodox play, my dear Captain, and quite risqué if I may say so."

"No doubt about it, Colonel," Anson answered suppressing any sign of smugness. "I had a hunch about your string of clubs, and I had to break the pattern."

"You seem to be a skilled player, Captain."

"I had practice enough. My first captain was a hard taskmaster drilling the game into us. We also played in the ward room of my last ship."

"That explains things. It is certainly illuminating to be faced with new tactics."

The next game paired Anson with the mayor, Mr. Hapling. Hapling was not quite the player Dr. Holbrook was, but they had almost unbeatable hands and won the game seven tricks ahead. The wagers were only nominal as was usual among true lovers of the game, but Anson was already 16s ahead and the only winner so far.

When the cards paired him with Maynard for the next game, Anson thought he heard the colonel sigh with relief. Indeed, paired together, they won handily even though their hands were only middling. Paired with Anson a second time, Maynard played a truly brilliant second rubber drawing unconditional praise from the other players. This restored Maynard's mood enough to make him almost genial.

When the card table broke up, it was almost eleven o' clock. Anson was the last to leave, and Maynard bade him stay another minute.

"I hear that you have settled in Salcombe?"

"Indeed," Anson returned. "The Mermaid Inn is a decent enough place, but not really a home. Besides, I was able to enlist young Libby Mason as my housekeeper, thus keeping almost all the good from the Mermaid for my continued comfort."

"And a step up for the girl, too, I'm sure," Maynard smiled. "You also procured your own mount?"

"I could no longer abuse your generosity, Colonel. I find now that I enjoy horseback riding to the point that I take my mount out for leisure. I cannot thank you enough for helping me out though."

"My pleasure, Captain. My daughter is a little angry with you for not visiting her in all those weeks."

It took Anson all his control to keep his face straight. "Between getting settled and my duties I had no spare time to indulge in social calls. Please, convey my apologies to Miss Elizabeth. I shall call upon her in the next days to make good for my omission."

A satisfied smile flitted over Maynard's lips. "Oh, you cannot know! My daughter is visiting with her aunt in Plymouth to get a little exposure to society."

"Your sister's win is my loss," Anson replied, giving a show of relief. Maynard's smile became genuine.

"I miss her, of course, but how was she to find a good husband in Salcombe, I ask you?"

"So true, Colonel," Anson returned, refusing to get riled. "I could easily be the only eligible gentleman. And whilst Miss Elizabeth is a most charming and accomplished young lady and of great beauty, I trust that you will appreciate my need to look for a father-in-law who can further my career."

Anson saw that Maynard was not pleased with this turn, and he followed up without mercy.

"Fortunately, my benefactor, Sir Robert Connington, is actively looking for good matches in his circle of friends. His son-in-law is a member of parliament, too, and enjoys the allegiance of the Caribbean planter faction. It is in this group where I hope to find a wife."

"You are a most level-headed man, Captain," Maynard almost rasped. "I can only wish you good success in your endeavour."

Anson left the Maynard house almost two guineas the richer, and his grin lasted all the way back to his house. He had put the colonel in his place by telling him that he was not a fitting father-in-law for an ambitious officer and by letting him know that he, Anson, had connections in high places. That would give Maynard some cause to think.

Two weeks later, after another inspection cruise in the Lady Jane, Anson invited the gentlemen of his acquaintance and their ladies to a dinner at his house. There was an awkward moment when Maynard and Butterworth came face to face because they clearly could not stomach each other. Yet, on the whole, the evening helped to establish Anson as a man of consequence in the small community.


Another week later, Anson sailed for Plymouth. He did not advertise the fact to the colonel. Even Witmarsh learned of their destination only after Anson came aboard. The Lady Jane proved her seaworthiness again by making the run into Plymouth in five hours. He made his usual report to Admiral Chalke and enjoyed dinner with his superior, after which he turned in early for a good night's sleep.

On the next morning, he walked about the town to make a few purchases with Stevens in tow. The worthy manservant was also carrying a list prepared by Libby Mason with the items she needed for the household. Upon returning to the inn, Anson was given a folded and sealed note. To his surprise, the note was from a Mrs. Fowler who invited him to dinner at her home. Anson was at a loss, not knowing nor having ever heard of the lady, until he saw a post-script in Elizabeth Maynard's handwriting telling him that she too was looking forward to his visit.

Thus, six o' clock saw Anson ringing the doorbell of a decent sized townhouse. He was received by a gouty old fellow who took Anson's hat and sword and dragged them into a cloakroom, seemingly with his last strength. Then, also with a good amount of wheezing and coughing, the old man led Anson towards the backside of the house and into a nicely appointed dinner hall.

"Captain <cough!> Jeremiah Anson <cough!>, Esquire!" he announced Anson to a lovely looking middle aged lady who bore a likeness to Elizabeth. The lady rose from her chair and approached Anson who bowed.

"How nice of you to come on such short notice, my dear Captain! I am Prudence Fowler, and for all my sins I am the sister-in-law of Colonel Maynard."

Anson could not quite hide his grin. "Your servant, Madam! You must feel at least a little mollified by the fact that this also makes you the aunt of Miss Maynard."

"La! Well riposted, my dear Captain! She is indeed a joy to have, and she has told me so much about you already! Well, she did not tell me, of course, but used her little tablet. It is a joy to see her so ... joyful. She was always a bit withdrawn, if you know what I mean, a bit sullen even. Not surprising seeing how she had to watch all that happened to my poor sister. But now! She's positively exuberant."

The good Mrs. Fowler obviously never experienced sullenness or withdrawal, Anson thought to himself.

"I have not seen Miss Maynard in a sullen mood nor withdrawn, but I found her a pleasant and stimulating company."

"Well, she has confided her plans to me, and you may count on my help and discretion. She should be down here any minute, but do sit down, Captain."

Then, for the next ten or fifteen minutes, she submitted Anson to a very thorough if friendly interrogation. Under her friendly probing, he almost admitted to his true relationship with Sir Robert Connington, but the older lady seemed to suspect it anyway. She barely showed any interest in his financial situation, being content with knowing that he owned an estate that yielded him an income. However, she was able to extract some information from him as to his habits and predilections.

Then a door opened and it it stood a beaming Elizabeth Maynard. Anson jumped up from his chair almost toppling it over and rushed to greet her. With sparkling eyes Elizabeth held out her hand for Anson to kiss.

"It is a pleasure to see you again, Miss Elizabeth," Anson stated. "I missed your company."

She nodded sadly but then smiled holding her tablet for him to see.

'I missed your company, ' it read.

That made the three of them laugh. Then Mrs. Fowler bade them both sit at the dinner table and the wheezing old butler started to serve the first course, a sort of soup Anson did not know. It did not taste too bad, he decided.

Over the main course, Anson related the evening at cards at Colonel Maynard's house and the aftermath. He begged Elizabeth's forgiveness for the snub against her father assuring her that he had meant it solely to throw him off. She laughed openly and scribbled on her tablet.

'To have seen his face!'

"It serves him right to be reminded that for all his perceived importance in Salcombe, he is but a squire in a remote corner of Devon," Mrs. Fowler smiled.

After that, the talk at the table turned to other matters. Anson told the women about his newly acquired house, and Elizabeth showed just a little bit of discomfort when hearing about a pretty young woman running Anson's household. He pointed out that Libby Mason's cooking was his sole reason, and Elizabeth accepted that with an apologising smile.

Anson in turn learned more about Elizabeth Maynard's past, about her mother, and about the family in general. Martha Fowler, Elizabeth's mother, was the older sister of Prudence. She married Major Maynard of the 26th of Foot when she was eighteen years old. Soon after, his bid for the Lieutenant-Colonelcy in the regiment failed. His career path thus blocked, he left the regiment and accepted a patent from the East India Company as lieutenant colonel in the 1st Bombay Muskets. Elizabeth Maynard was in fact born on board of an East Indiaman during the passage to Bombay. The young family settled in Bombay at first, and Maynard assumed the role of de facto regimental commander, for the man nominally in command was on leave in England.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.