A New Old Watch. 9th in the STOPWATCH Series - Cover

A New Old Watch. 9th in the STOPWATCH Series

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 70

And then ... the real Guatemala Coast Guard showed up. After looking at the boats with high magnification with the masthead camera, David called District 8, they said, "Right numbers, right color ... That's probably them."

About ten minutes later District 8 called back. "Yes, Chief Ríos y Carrillo y Zacapa is on the first boat, Chief Luna Ortiz is on the second boat. Invite them to see the ships, please."

"Bethany? Drop the ROV, please," said David.

"You mean in the water?" she asked.

"Yes ... and stop grinning, you're getting as bad as your dad."

"District 8. Pretty Penny. They have their guns manned." David was on the microphone.

"Pretty Penny, you should have yours manned too."

"Crew to your stations," announced David over the intercom.

"District 8, Pretty Penny. What's the deal?" David was asking.

"Pretty Penny, District 8, the country is involved in a Civil War ... has been for 20 years. The countryside is in arms against the military ... promoted by the drug mafioso and the URNG, a socialist terrorist organization. The boats you sunk were most likely drug cartel operated. It's all part of a CIA set up from the fifties. Only let the Chief on board and don't let the guard crews distract your crew. The Chief wants to see if he can identify the ships ... when he's done ... be polite but get him off your boat. Man your positions ... the Guatemalan Air Force has sunk a couple of Mexican trawlers."

"You sure took your time letting us know." He switched off. "Barbara? Keep your eye on the radar ... possible aircraft. Andrea ... integrate with the 3mm ... lock and load. Everyone ... do not let down your guard. Touchy situation." He thought about it... "Beth, keep the sonar going ... possible men in the water. Art and Al ... fire up the turbines."

"Yes Chief?"

"Sir, I'd take in the sails and make sure the Nevis flag is noticeable."

"Good thinking, Chief ... any other ideas?"

"Yeah ... don't introduce me as Sanchez ... and make sure you speak only English, Sir. If they don't know I speak Spanish ... I may hear things they don't want us to know."

"District 8, Pretty Penny. We had a problem ... it's taken care of. CIA isn't supposed to operate in the states. If anything looks wrong ... shoot. The corruption incountry is horrendous."

"Well, that's different."

It all turned out for the best, Chief Ríos y Carrillo y Zacapa was cooperative ... no one else tried to board. The ROV presented him with the pictures he needed. He wasn't happy ... but it wasn't them he was unhappy with.

"My brother, he was primer oficial ... how you say it? ... first mate ... yes? on the newest ship. We ... ah contact from him ... ah ... dos ... ah two ... two weeks ago. You have done Guatemala a service, Señor."

They shook hands. The Chief saluted ... nicely too. On the way to his RIB he mentioned, "The navy, Comando Naval del Caribe, she is in Puerto Barrios, just over there." He pointed ... and waved... "They may not be so nice, Señor. But their ship ... she is old and slow. Viejo destructor de la guerra.

An old ship from the war ... destroyer, I think ... but small ... de escolta ... escort. It would be best if you were to ¡Vámonos! ... go quickly, Señor." He stepped to the rail and saluted the flag, turned and saluted Captain David, "Permiso para abandonar el barco?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.