A New Old Watch. 9th in the STOPWATCH Series - Cover

A New Old Watch. 9th in the STOPWATCH Series

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 60

Chief Sanchez was instructing the crew on the now permanent changes to the Pretty Penny. He started in the engine room.

David mentioned the space. The engine room was huge.

"I always did like Rolls Royce. So we replaced the 1500 horsepower MTU diesels with twin 7,000 SHP (shaft horsepower) MT7 gas turbines." He lovingly caressed one of two titanium boxes. "The boxes are five feet long, three feet high and 30 inches wide mounted to the engine mounts. They were nearly 5000 pounds each lighter and will save 25% in fuel. The modular package is self contained and easily replaced at any Rolls Royce Dealership. Nearly any two ton engine lift will handle the 997 pound package.

"I stole these from one of the crashed Osprey aircraft.

"The twin-shaft axial design of the MT7 comprises a 14-stage compressor followed by an effusion-cooled annular combustor, a two-stage gas generator turbine and a two-stage power turbine. The engine is cold-end drive featuring six stages of variable compressor vanes, dual channel Full Authority Digital Electronic Control system (FADEC), modular construction and an 'on-condition' maintenance capability. Proven components are utilized throughout the engine, with key parts protectively coated to resist sand erosion and salt corrosion to ensure optimum performance in the most challenging of marine environments. Fuel and oil systems are fully integrated on the engine assembly, making it a compact, lightweight yet powerful unit."

He slapped a palm on a titanium ductwork, "These babies suck so much air they collapsed the aluminum ducts we made the first time."

He walked to a couple of long cases that were almost as large as the turbines.

"The gear reduction units connect directly to the MTU automatic transmissions. Let's go on deck."

They made the three deck trek from the spotless engine room to the 'sun deck' and then to the stern. Chief Sanchez pointed at a pair of propellers that extended from the stern. The props were protected by a titanium cage. The rudders were hung on the cage.

"The transmissions turn Arneson outdrive semi-submersible props. If you need to get away and do it fast, Arneson is a name you can trust.

"Smaller, lighter, faster, more fuel efficient is always good when coupled with Rolls Royce reliability.

"The weight savings is going to be expensive at the fuel pump. We added fuel tanks. You now have a 7500 mile range under power and at a cruising speed of 35 knots. We want you to get where you're going."

Pointing at a series of substantial louvers well above the waterline, he said, "The intake vents for the turbines have been cut into the hull at the stern."

He pointed at a squat circular feature at the tip of the mainmast.

"If you'll just take notice of the 3mm Radar ... Development of this application is ongoing ... however, Raytheon had leased development to Martin. They had a multi targeting system in development that allows the gunner to designate multiple targets. Due to the rather sensitive nature of this application and its ongoing innovations this particular system can only track twelve targets at a time.

"The radar is slaved to the modified Cobra turrets ... such as you see here. The 180 degree turn over has allowed the mount unprecedented coverage in the near vertical and the unobstructed view to the stern has meant an increase in lateral movement. If the radar can see it ... the mount can hit it.

"This mount features 2 three barrel 20mm gatling guns. In the original configuration, the expended cartridges were simply lost due to ejection. The modification implemented by Master Gunner Rogers carries the used cartridges, still in their linked belt, below until such time as the semi-automated reloader is activated. Someone must be present at reloading to designate which projectile is used.

"Should an aggressor aircraft persist, a modified Hellfire radar guided missile will be launched from the self launcher." The Chief pressed a button and a small missile appeared on what had been mistaken for a boat davit. "If you care to take notice there are two such launchers. Boat davits come in pairs."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.