A New Old Watch. 9th in the STOPWATCH Series
Chapter 22

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

" ... Winds to 55, gusts topping 80. Temperature at 6:30Pm: 55. Expected low: 38."

David was dreaming a comfortable dream when Andrea buzzed him on the intercom.

"Yes?"

"Weather Report," Andie responded, "It's not looking great."

"I'll come up."

The dream David had been dreaming was of his mother rocking him in his cradle when he was two years old. The gentle sway back and forth was calming him ... and he had been agitated. Mom had informed him that tonight was his last night in his first ever bed. Tomorrow his father was bringing home a crib ... with bars. No more rocking ... no more lullabies ... he was a big boy now and it was time for big boy things.

"How bad?"

"How the hell should I know? Two Ball Gale ... or something like that."

Foul weather gear ... time to dress like a Gloucester fisherman. Wool socks, woolen long underwear, a checkered long-sleeved wool shirt, wool mask hat, rolled up to a cap. Then rubber, armpit high, waders with built in boots ... and suspenders.

A heavy duty life vest with an Automatic Release EPIRB came next. Then a rubber jacket with hood and to top it off, a wide brimmed rubber hat with the front turned up to direct the water away from his face.

He was almost ready when the engine room ventilators turned on. Then the bilge pump started, 'Uhoh' It ran less than 15 seconds, instant relief.

He maneuvered over to the ladder and made his way to Andrea, she was on the port side outside helm.

She laughed at the sight of him, "Um ... that's quite an outfit ... do I have one?" she asked.

"Yes. Give me ten seconds to start up the inside helm, then shut down out here, secure the lockers and come inside. Your gear is in the locker at the port side of your cabin hatch. There's directions on how it all goes on."

He went to the port side inside helm and activated all the screens. He started pushing buttons to lower the main and roll up the jib. He started the diesels and maneuvered to quarter the rising waves.

Andrea came in the from the stern helm, shut the hatch and secured it.

David said, "I'm sorry, Andy. This was completely unexpected. I should have been running rescue drills and man overboard drills before we ever left Pentwater. My fault." He was truly embarrassed. "Get dressed. Your life jacket has a lanyard ring to attach your emergency beacon to. The beacon is in the charger on the cabin desk. Get dressed and come up. You might check on Julie."

The weather station began again. 'This is the National Weather Service Forecast for the Great Lakes region. Tuesday, August 19th, 1986. The time is 6:45 PM. A fast moving Canadian cold front will combine with a major easterly moving Plains warm front to produce unseasonal weather changes. Excess moisture from the diminishing Gulf Coast Tropical Storm is rapidly moving north. The three weather features are expected to collide and produce a fall storm similar to the November Storm of 1913.

'(BEEP-BEEP-BEEP) Notice to Airmen, Notice to Airmen: Seek immediate refuge.

'(BEEP-BEEP-BEEP) Notice to Shipping, Notice to Shipping: Seek nearest harbor.

'(BEEP-BEEP-BEEP) Notice to Recreational Boaters, Notice to Recreational Boaters: Seek safe harbor.

'The National Weather Service is predicting an 85 percent chance of heavy winds moving in a southerly direction across the following areas: Eastern Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Northwest Ohio.

'The National Weather Service has issued a Gale Warning for Lake Superior. A gale has 39–54 miles/hour of sustained surface winds.

'Winds to 54 from the North, Gusts to 60 at any time. Waves to 10 feet. Occasional crests to 15 feet.

'A Severe Gale Warning is issued for Lake Michigan. A Severe gale is defined as having 55 to 74 miles/hour of sustained surface winds.

'Winds mixed rising to 55, gusts to 85. Short interval waves to 24 feet. Heavy rain, with reduced visibility and a possibility of golfball to baseball sized hail in some areas. Possibility of tornados or waterspouts in the northern half of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron as far south as a line from Milwaukee, Wisconsin east to London, Ontario Canada.

'Storm expected to strike Isle Royal at 9:30 tonight, Soo Locks by 10:45, Mackinac Bridge at 11pm and expanding to encompass the forecast area. This is a fast moving storm and is predicted to leave the forecast area by 3AM.

'There is the potential for extensive shoreline erosion. Heavy Surf at Gary, Indiana by 5AM.

'A Severe Gale Warning is issued for Lake Huron including Saginaw Bay. A Severe gale is defined as having 55 to 74 miles/hour of sustained surface winds.

'Winds mixed rising to 55, sustained gusts to 85. Short interval waves to 20 feet. Heavy rain, with reduced visibility and a possibility of golfball to baseball sized hail in some areas. Possibility of tornados or waterspouts in the northern half of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron as far south as a line from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to London, Ontario Canada.

'A Gale Warning for Lake Erie to Forty miles east of Cleveland...

'Winds mixed rising to 55, sustained gusts to 70. Short interval waves to16 feet. Heavy rain, with reduced visibility and a possibility of golfball to baseball sized hail in some areas.

'Storm expected to strike Isle Royal at 9:30 tonight, Soo Locks by 10:45, Mackinac Bridge at 11pm and expanding to encompass the forecast area. This is a fast moving storm and is predicted to leave the forecast area by 3AM.'

There was a lot more but it was 'days of average highs' 'water temperature at area beaches' and things of that nature. He kept an ear out for changes but was more interested in getting to shelter as fast as possible. The hides tied down on the foredeck changed the waterline length. With both diesels running at redline they were moving at fifty knots. They had three and a half hours to get somewhere safe and St. Ignace looked like it. They were practically planing going under the Bridge.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.