A New Old Watch. 9th in the STOPWATCH Series - Cover

A New Old Watch. 9th in the STOPWATCH Series

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 19

"Why?" she asked.

"It's like this ... I'm going to be your instructor. Instead of sailing out the channel and going round and round and coming back every night for the time it takes ... usually a month ... we just go ... I teach you in short hops, like from here to Ludington ... from Ludington to Manistee ... and like that. Otherwise a month and a half of lessons will make it mid October and two weeks to the Winds of November. If you're as smart as I think you are ... in a month and a half we'll be in Boston or New York or maybe even Newport News. If we leave right now ... well, tomorrow ... we'll have time on the Saint Lawrence."

"How about Chicago to New Orleans?"

"You'd have to motor down and have the mast stepped in New Orleans. As the crow flies, it's a lot shorter ... but ... the Mississippi doesn't fly ... it meanders. Besides, it's not really safe at night. Regardless of what the Corps of Engineers tell you, there's always loggerheads ... that's fallen trees floating in the river that you have to watch out for and the barge traffic is awful. Motoring means taking a USCG Power Squadron class that also puts you in the middle of November for leaving.

"The other thing you can do is have the boat loaded on a container ship and ship it ... but you won't be learning to handle a big boat ... and it's expensive."

The oldest banker commented, "The National Geographic deal only works if you document everything in photos and a journal ... if you ship the boat or go without David the deal is off and you buy the boat. We checked ... you can afford the boat ... but we're willing to eat the loan because you have to give us credit in the published article. Understand ... you don't have to have David ... you can choose another licensed instructor, Geographic doesn't care who you use but you can't go alone this year.

"They are expecting photos of Fall colors and castles on the Saint Lawrence. Twelve cameras and two thousand rolls of film will be here tomorrow."

Mr. Three hundred pounds added, "We start in the morning ... I'll have a crew lift the boat and put it in the water ... we'll use the jears to set the mast and then rig it. Everything ... all the rigging and the sails are as close to new as you could get but I expect David will want to check everything. Fuel up, water up, load a shakedown crew and you're off. The boat should be ready for you by Portage Lake."

"Shakedown crew?"

David said, "Yes ... shakedown crew. There's going to be ten expert sailors making sure the rigging sings. You don't know what that means but I guarantee you will be able to tell the difference. After they're done and off the boat, we'll tweak it as we go.

"I'm cheap ... you have to feed me ... and obey ... because I'll be the captain and you'll be crew. I'm a licensed sailing instructor for sail powered boats up to 200 feet and I hold a Captains Certificate for ships up to one thousand tons."

"Where's your boat and how come you aren't working the Lake boats?"

"My boat is in refit ... she's the pretty 41 foot Cheoy Lee."

"'Dunk?' Your boat has a weird name."

"I salvaged her years ago ... I was just a kid when I found her on the bottom of the Lake.

"So ... it's up to you ... I go ... If I don't go you buy the boat and hire me to teach you to sail and store the boat for the winter. I can get you a deal in Manitowoc for outside storage that's half what the Sawmill charges. It's still two grand a month but you could live aboard."

"I need to spend three days in Bay City."

"You're going to let me go with you."

"There's ground rules to this. I really like the idea of learning as I go ... it's a great set up ... extremely practical ... I'll have help if I need it ... it's easier to feed two than one and I know I'll eat out of cans and frozen dinners if I go alone ... but I'm the owner ... you are crew ... you sleep in the captain's quarters ... first time you get romantic ... you don't want to know.

"I'm still getting over Bill and I know seeing the Duke is going bring back memories I don't want but I have to see him. He's old ... feeble ... sharp as a tack and a relative I discovered two years ago. After he dies, I'll take over his 'kingdom' ... businesses ... farms ... all his Old Country estates. I don't need a Dave anchor. You good with that?"

"You bet ... you're too young for me and I have a life I have to live before I check out."

Andrea and most of the bankers took off for the Marina. David stayed behind and buttonholed the younger man, a spirited conversation took place and money changed hands. The two of them stepped into the Rolls and headed out of town on the old US 31.

Very early, a young woman knocked on the hull of the Eighty-seven ... aluminum has such a nice sound. 'Thud.' It was enough to wake Andrea.

"Who is it?" she groaned.

"National Geographic."

"Come on up," Andy shouted. "Coffee?"

"Oh God!!" the young lady exclaimed as she cleared the ladder. "Yes, please. My bosses called last night and I threw everything in the limo and here I am. I could use breakfast, too."

Andrea picked up a phone, "All the comforts of home." She dialed. "Oh good you're up"

"Andrea."

"Yeah, from yesterday."

" ... breakfast for two ... Wait..."

David stepped off the ladder and onto the deck. He stuck his head in the cabin hatch, Andrea made eating motions and got a nod. "David's coming with."

"Yeah, I'll bet."

"Big breakfast for three, Frank..."

"I don't know ... cook everything you always wanted in a restaurant breakfast ... I'm sure we'll eat it."

A pause... "In fifteen? Thanks, Frank." She looked at David.

"Frank says you're a big breakfast fan."

David gave a quizzical look at the newcomer.

"The Press," Andie said. Another look.

"Julie," she confessed, "National Geographic. Ooooh, raised eyebrows. I have a degree in Photo Journalism. I'm here to teach Doctor Slagle how to shoot pictures ... photographs ... anyone can take pictures. Photographs are another thing entirely."

"You look sixteen," David accused.

"I'm twenty-two," and stuck her tongue out.

"And how long are we blessed with your presence?"

"The bosses said I get off in Detroit." Julie grinned, "You're very good with the eyebrows."

Julie was in jeans, warm sweater and boat shoes ... used boat shoes. She saw David look at her feet. "Yes ... I sail ... I'm good. Yes, I have a new pair in my luggage."

She looked over the side, the limo was gone and her collection of camera bags, tripods and a single suitcase were in a heap at the bottom of the ladder.

"Damn ... he was supposed to help." Julie took a picture of the heap from the deck. It was used for the cover of the first installment of the trip.

"The guys will load it," David's stomach growled, "Let's eat."

It's less than four blocks from the Mill Marina to the Anchor. Mid August mornings on the west coast of Michigan belie the conditions at noon. It's damn chilly in the morning and very hot at noon. David gave Andrea his peacoat for the walk.

Julie stopped at the office and left a note on the door. 'Don't start anything until we get back, National Geographic.'

David read the note, "Ooooh, bossy!"

Julie grinned. She walked around David and took pictures. Then she had Andrea take off the peacoat and made David put it back on Andy.

"That's so cute ... a gentleman."

David stood amazed as the two women walked up the hill. They had their heads together.

He shook himself and muttered, "Vixen."

"What was that?" Julie asked.

"Nothing!" David said.

The Antler was packed. Pentwater is a touristy kind of place. Dead as Cape Cod in the winter but riotous in the summer. The entire Mill crew was there swilling coffee and swallowing eggs, bacon, hashbrowns whole.

Julie was running from table to table trying to get releases signed ... She was very impressed.

It seemed to Andie that everyone knew what was happening ... or thought they did and she answered more than her share of stupid questions. Finally, she'd had it.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.