Accidental Attraction
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Eleanor went home that evening thoroughly pleased with the day's work. Before, she had failed to come to grips with the realities of the problem but Reg had pointed her in the right direction. She was much clearer on what she needed the computer to work out for her and she could tweak the displays later. She was very grateful to Reg but what he had come up with reinforced her opinion that he had a good if not very good brain.

"It's just his wretched dyslexia that's holding him down," she thought. "I wonder how much they can do about it. I know schools cater for it these days when sufferers sit exams."

She decided to google it. She found Dyslexia Action and took down the details of the nearest branch.

Over dinner she told her parents about the day. David was most impressed with Reg's input.

"He really does sound like a very smart young man," he said.

"He is, Daddy. I'm quite sure of it and the website I looked at about dyslexia says it doesn't mean that someone's got a low IQ."

"What are you up to, young lady?" Her father smiled knowingly.

Eleanor looked slightly abashed. "I wanted to find out whether something can be done about it and there is so I've got the details of the nearest place."

"Tread softly, sweety, because you may tread on his feelings. The other thing is that his family may have already tried it and it wasn't a success."

Eleanor nodded thoughtfully. The last time she had been high handed Reg had been very cross.

"If I can persuade him to have an assessment would the firm be prepared to pay for his training? It's twenty-five quid an hour."

David smiled. "That could add up to quite a lot in the end. In principle yes but let's wait and see if he's prepared to have an assessment first."

"That makes sense, Daddy. Thanks."

In fact, Eleanor got cold feet and did not raise the subject with Reg until the following week. In the meanwhile she worked on the project which she discussed regularly with him.

"You were right, you know. We don't produce to full capacity because of the warehouse. As a result we've had to turn away some new customers."

"Not good news."

"No."

"So?"

"Expand the warehouse."

"And?"

"Modernise it."

"First off palletise the boxes. We haven't done because, I think, Dobsons' haven't got side loading trucks which meant tail loading and then stacking by hand which is jolly hard work."

"I bet."

"It would mean wider aisles in the warehouse to take bigger forklifts and the pallets so there's another reason for expanding it."

"Have we got the space?"

"I'd have thought so. Why don't we go and have a look tomorrow?"

Eleanor clapped her hands and then sobered down. "Will you be able to cope?" There was genuine concern in her voice.

"I reckon. I'll only have to hold the end of a tape measure."

"Where are we going to get one from?"

"I'm sure the store will have one."

"Any other ideas?"

"Not at the moment but why don't you have a word with Len Fairbrother tomorrow?"

"Good idea."

Their visit to the factory was useful not merely because they were able to estimate the room for expansion but because they talked to Len who came up with a revolutionary idea: include machines on the production line to stamp a barcode on each box giving the order number which in turn would be used by an automated conveyor system to send the boxes to the right area in the warehouse. He also strongly approved of the ideas that Reg had produced.

On another day, Eleanor suggested they go to the Peak District National Park.

"I'm sure I can squeeze your wheel chair into the car," she said. "You'll have to tell me where to go because I've never been there and it needs to be flattish because I'm not pushing you up great hills."

"No problem and there are car parks at many of the beauty spots."

"Great. Come on!"

She pulled him to his feet.

"Don't you want to pack up some sandwiches and a thermos?"

"Nope. Lunch is my treat as long as I get a kiss."

Reg stared at her in amazement.

Eleanor got the giggles. "If only you could see your face," she chortled. "Do you need to practise before we go?"

"Eleanor!"

"Don't you want to? Am I being too forward? I don't mean a great toe-curling passionate job. Just a nice, friendly, warm one to say thank you."

"I ... I..."

She pulled his head down and gave him one. "Just like that," she smiled.

Reg stared at her for a moment and then took her face in his hands and kissed her gently back.

She smiled warmly back at him.

"Thanks, Reg," she said quietly. "I liked that."

Nothing more was said as she stowed his wheelchair in the car, helped him in and, when he had fastened his seatbelt, handed him his crutches. Once they were out of the town and the traffic thinned she rested her hand on his knee for a moment.

"I hope I haven't upset you," she said.

"No," he replied slowly, "but you had me worried."

"Oh, Reg, there was no need. We're friends and friends show each other affection."

"But..."

"I know. You're saying to yourself, 'I can't let this friendship develop because she's the boss's daughter and I'm just one of the hands'. Now you just listen to me, Reginald Woolstencroft. That's a load of old rubbish. Those days are gone when the bosses wouldn't be seen dead with their employees. I'll admit that when I first started visiting you in hospital it was gratitude but not for long. The more I got to know you the more I got to like you and we have become friends and you know it, don't you?"

Reg nodded.

"We could still be friends without my coming round to look after you like I am now. Carers and the ambulance guys could have done what I'm doing. No, Reg, I like you a lot and I admire and respect you a lot and my friendship for you seems to grow day by day. That's why I come round; because I enjoy being with you."

"But Eleanor..."

"Go on."

"It can't go on. What if we get more, um, involved?"

"What if we do?"

"Well, er, you'll upset your parents and they'll tell you to stop seeing me."

"Reg, I'm twenty-two now and I do as I please. Of course I listen to my parents because I love and respect them and they've got a lot more experience under their belts than I have but I make up my own mind in the end."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.