Adrift
Chapter 16

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

"Fly with you guys?" he said, quite sarcastically. "I'm a lawyer, not an idiot. What do you need me for?"

"It's a banking matter."

"Oh ... money ... sure I'll go."

We all laughed ... in a haha sheesh kind of way. But we went.

"Where did you get this airplane?" He really was curious.

"Smithsonian trade." June said, "We had something they wanted worse than we wanted to keep it." She fumbled around in her mind a bit ... then she said, "Jimmy ... did you deposit the check?"

"Ah..." I hauled out my wallet. There ... in it's folded glory ... hiding out in the secret pocket ... was my mistake. "Um ... no."

The lawyer snatched it out of my hand. "The Smith gave you two hundred thousand dollars and this airplane for what?"

"Give it back."

"Uh Uh ... tell."

"Did you know these turbine powered aircraft fly upside down nicely?" June asked ... and demonstrated. Then she started showing her proficiency at all the aerobatics a factory experimental aircraft built to demonstrate to the United States Military that, yes, indeed, this was a very nimble and strong airplane and it could be used for 'other things' besides hauling passengers.

I got my card back.

"I'm going to sue."

"You do realize this entire aircraft interior is under surveillance? That we have video and audio of you Stealing my card and refusing to give it back? That you forced us to resort to violence to recover our property? That under the law, I could have shot you?"

I was appalled. We paid this joker a retainer and he stooped to chicanery? Oh ... wait ... what was I thinking ... he's a lawyer.

We landed at Midway. Our limo was waiting ... the driver was a little surprised at our youth ... and our casual attire. But ... we were us ... and we had cash.

"Good Lord! How many floors does this thing have?" I asked the guard at the desk.

"A bunch ... who are you looking to find?"

"American Express Treasury Analyst, Agent 99."

"That'll be Sarah... 99th corner office. Step over here a minute."

He showed me a map of the 99th floor ... not a diagram ... not a layout ... a map.

"Show that to my sister. She does directions on foot and by car ... I do directions in the air ... although I do have to admit... 99 floors is up in the air a bit."

So June had a look, "Got it."

The Guard asked, "Just like that?"

"Yup..." she poked her finger at a spot right in front of the elevator doors. "Reception Desk." And she laughed.

The ride was FAST! Made me feel like my legs were shorter. The stop was quick ... made me feel like I might be taller. The doors opened. The young ladies behind the desk were helpful. Agent 99 was summoned and we all followed a convoluted trail to her corner office.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.