Adrift - Cover

Adrift

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 11: Oshkosh is

So we went. Harold recommended we go early and stay late. It's amazing how easy it is to call for information and absolutely essential if it's your first time. We weren't sure we qualified for warbird ... we did. The registration number had the other end of the line stumped.

(What ya flying?) "A pair of L-4's."

(Got your logbooks since the war?) "We're working on that."

(They missing?) "No ... they just don't have many entries."

(Restored? Homebuilt?) "No ... not restored. Original."

(Serial number?) "ZU-35117, ZU-35118, Fuselage numbers are ZU-117 and ZU-118."

(What kind of numbers are those?) "US ARMY AIR FORCE."

(When were they issued?) "1945."

(Ok ... we're not getting anywhere ... let's try this. Date of first flight?) "April 1945"

(Where?) "Lock Haven."

(Where?) "Piper factory ... test flight"

"Oh ... This might help." I read from the log,

"Successful test flight. 4/45 AK Johns."

"Bill submitted, April 1945. Ledger 39 pg. 77 Millie Smith, Accounting."

"Aircraft disassembled and crated for sea shipment to USAAF EUROPE. All paperwork attached. 4/45 Miller, PJ."

"Rail transport to Selfridge AAFB MICHIGAN for shipment. 4/45 Angie Piper."

"Aircraft surplus to needs. Wizenowski, Sgt. per Co. COMSELAAFB"

"Sold 1946. Lt. Chas Oren, Supply."

"Does that help?"

(Not really. Next flight listed in Logbook?) "Last week."

(What?) "My sister and I removed the aircraft from the crates and assembled them using the original manual."

(You're talking about brand new 1945 planes?) "Yes."

(Painted in the original markings and colors?) "Yes."

(Do you have FAA numbers?) "They told us to keep what we had."

(Well, that's unusual. Experimental Aircraft?) "No. We're leaving that home."

(I guess we'll see when you get here.) "Thanks. We want to come early and stay late ... camp with our planes?"

(You can do that.) "Pay by wire? Transfer funds? Credit card number?"

(Adult membership?) "What's the cutoff?"

(18) "Cool ... we just turned 17."

(We?) "Twins."

(When do you want to come?) "Opening day is the 30th ... can we come on the 26th and stay until the 5th?"

(We have people who come that early.) "Great ... that's the total?"

(Eleven days. Student membership. Two warbirds. Two people ... emh ... ah 350.) "You wanna run our cards? We can fly over and pay. We need the hours. We passed our check ride yesterday."

(Where are you based?) "Right now, Lansing. Tomorrow? Ludington ... unless we can find some land and fix up a strip. I suppose we could get floats ... we have sea endorsement."

(Not very authentic, floats.) "Yeah ... and we want to party with the people."

(Give me your card number.) "Visa XXXXXXXXXXXX0588"

(You're good. See you on the 26th ... not before 7am.) "Bye."

"Quick, we need tents. Harold?"

From the deepest recesses of the B-29 hangar came the call, "Yeah?"

"Tents! We need tents."

"Larch and Logan. Grogan's. Take my little trailer."

"On our way."

We had to take his pickup too. No hitch on the Ford.

Grogan's smelled like old wet blankets and gun oil. "Wow ... this be da place!!" I said, "Look at this stuff. That's an M-4 turret ... look out there ... Halftrack!! Hallo!!!"

An inconspicuous pile of ragged uniforms piled on a stool near the register moved. Feral, narrow eyes, beneath the hood of a ghillie suit peeped out and stared malevolently at us.

"Don't touch shit," a voice graveled.

"Excellent idea ... gloves for touching shit."

"You a smart ass?"

"You better believe it ... You Grogan?"

"Who wants to know?"

"Actually ... is there a shop nearby where I can buy a reasonable facsimile of an officers tent?"

"I've got 'em ... You got money?"

"Yes. Pilot's clothing?"

"Yes."

"Cook gear? World War two European theater?"

"Close enough."

"A manikin? German uniform?"

"Yes."

"Fetch it out."

Grogan shouted out commands. Several piles of old clothes shambled off and started the fetch and carry familiar to supply room flunkeys of any army in the world. Grogan stood by the counter keeping track. June was keeping track too.

"Want cash?" I asked, "Or gold."

Grogan's eyes lit up like a Fresnel lamp in a lighthouse.

"At spot."

The lights went out ... the ship sank.

"Cash at my sisters total?"

"Are you suggesting I'd cheat?"

"8 plus 2 does not eleven make, Mr. Grogan. Nor does 6 plus 3 make ten," June said. "My total is 567 including tax. Your total is 621 plus tax. If your ones column totals 69 you carry the six not the nine."

A pair of cops walked in the store. "Gentlemen, you're just in time ... a concerned citizen asks your help." I looked forlorn.

"I'll take the 567," said Grogan.

"Cheating the public, Grogan?" But he was looking at me. "Harold sent us."

"No sir." Grogan signaled his minions, "Take the merchandise out for the man, kids."

June smiled, "I've got it ... say, the sign says with poles, ropes and stakes ... you seem to have forgotten them."

The gnashing of Grogan's teeth was audible.

"Look June ... the sign also says new in the box and that one on the counter is loose." I fingered it..."MADE IN CHINA???"

An ivory cap split.

"Oh look, Jimmy. There's several boxes to choose from. We'll take the one in the middle." She smiled as she shouldered it out the door. I picked up the greens and followed her out the door.

The cops are laughing. I came back in and paid. "Oh ... wait ... the sign by the register says ten percent off for cash ... that's really small writing, Mr Grogan." I took back fifty-six dollars. "You can keep the seventy cents." Grogan threw his ghillie hat on the floor.

"Going camping?" asked the cop.

"Oshkosh ... by gosh." June looked innocent and busted out.

"Warbird camp," I said.

"What you got?"

"Pair of L-4's," said June.

"We'll see you there, we're going too," bragged the blond.

"Storch," said the other, before we could ask.

"Oh god ... the enemy!" exclaimed June.


It's just a little more than 107 miles from Ludington to Oshkosh. Compass 271deg(true) Our first over water navigation ... our first self calculated flight plan. We made it. We should, from 2500 feet you can see the Wisconsin shore. June has the tent ... it's because she is little. She weighs 90 pounds ... at least half of that is boobs, butt and hips ... the rest of her is non existent. How do you make five pounds of fat look good? Put a nipple on it.

I have the footlocker with the rest of the crap ... and the cooking gear. Piper's maximum weight is highly under rated. The sleeping bags are in the front seat ... strapped in. We put 3/8 inch plywood almost to the tail halfway up. Makes a great cargo platform. Some Cubs have an adjustable stabilizer but L-4's don't, so the platform didn't interfere with the stabilizer adjustment cable ... there ain't one.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.