A Southern Warming - Cover

A Southern Warming

Copyright© 2013 by SlaterChance

Chapter 21

"I have found a person who can work for me in the clinic. She is just out of school and looking for a place to do further training. I will start working with her in a week."

It was evident that Anna was excited about this recent development. I could hear it in her voice.

"I have even more good news," she went on to say. "My mother's sister has come from Siberia to live with us. Her husband just recently passed and both widows wanted to reunite. Now it's up to you to get me to the United States."

I could not believe the words I was hearing. It was the best news that I had heard for months. All the pieces of the puzzle were beginning to fall into place.

We talked some more about what was going on in our daily lives. I learned it was getting colder where Anna lived and that winter was just around the corner. I learned that she would be returning to her home town in a week. Things had slowed down and she was no longer needed at the larger hospital.

For the next few days, I poured myself into my work. Things were going well and we had a great team. It looked like we would be able to enhance the beauty of the new sports arena in a way that would make it a draw for the rest of the country.

I managed to arrange a lunch meeting with one of my university contacts. She had contacted our office and said that she was interested in changing the look of the lobby in the building where her office was located. I had asked my secretary to schedule a time to meet.

It had been a while since I had visited with my university friend. I had forgotten what a beautiful woman she was. Her hair was cut short and it framed a wonderful face. Her lips were warm and full. Her eyes were brown, like the color of milk chocolate. Her hair was an auburn color and had an amazing sheen. She was a slim woman and possessed curves in all the right places. The outline of her chest made one instantly stand up and take notice.

"It's really nice to see you again, Clint," she said with a sly smile. "I hear you are currently single."

"It's nice to see you also, Brenda. It's true. I'm a lonely old man. You, however, seem to get more beautiful each time we meet."

She gave me a coy little smile.

The waiter came by and we gave him our orders. We talked small talk for a few moments and then Brenda asked if I would be able to come up with some ideas for her lobby. I told her that I would be delighted to take a look and see what could be done. I told her that I was sure I could produce a plan that would be pleasing to everyone.

She said that would be great, as not all the committee was onboard concerning the need for the renovation project.

I then asked her if she might be able to help me with my endeavor. I explained that I would like to get Anna over to do some cross-cultural training at the University. She informed me that there was nothing open at the time, but that she would do some checking to see what options might be possible.

"Why is it so important that you get this woman to come to the United States?" she asked with a teasing smile.

"Because she is very important to me," I replied. "She is the most wonderful woman I have ever met."

I could see a slight hint of disappointment in her eyes. I knew that she had always liked me. I wondered if the lunch date had been an attempt to see if any old flames might be rekindled.

"I will see what I can do," she replied. "I do have some connections in the other departments and I don't see why something couldn't be arranged. Let's have lunch again in a couple weeks to further our discussions."

We exited the restaurant and I watched as she walked away. Once more I was amazed at the beauty of a woman. I wonder if they even have a clue as to what an effect they have on a man. The curves of her body and the way her hips moved drew my eyes to her like a bee to honey. It's absolutely pure magic. The way that her hair bounced, and the delicate shape of her legs, had me standing there like I was under a spell. Her delicate form stood in stark contrast to the hard lines of the buildings around her.

Women amaze me. Just the slightest whiff of a good perfume can drive me wild. The way a soft sweater molds to the body can ignite an intense desire in me. Why? I already know what's under the clothing. It's really just a smooth mound of flesh. It must be the way that the skin curves in such an amazing way. Or maybe it's the way that it droops slightly over the flat abdomen below. For reasons that I don't fully understand, I have an eager urge to take a peek.

And then there is the way that a pair of dainty feet, below delicately shaped ankles, perch on a pair of high heeled shoes. The woman walks on that delicate platform like it is the easiest thing in the world to do. Men stop what they are doing to gaze upon the incredible being that passes them by. Of course they can only look for a few seconds before it is called gawking. How can anything be so beautiful?

Women can be so desirable, but unfortunately, they can also be so elusive.

That night I had a hard time getting to sleep. I really wanted a woman to hold and touch. This distance thing was beginning to get to me. Anna would be out of contact on the phone for a few days and I really needed to hear her voice.

I turned on Pandora and brought up my favorite station. It was made up largely of men's choruses singing in perfect harmony. There was something about the music that seemed to calm my soul like nothing else could do.

An Irish ballad came thought the speakers about a fisherman who had gone out to sea. As he fought the cold rain and the thrashing waves, he thought about his true love back home. He knew she would be in a warm cottage with her parents. She would probably be sitting next to the fire with a book in her hands. Her flaxen hair would be flowing over her shoulders and those magnificent eyes would sparkle in the light of the fire.

He longed for her, just as I longed for Anna. The group sang of how his heart was overflowing with love for the girl of his dreams. They described the times that the two lovers had wandered through the woods and fields, hand in hand, as they cherished the time of being together.

"I gently held her dainty hand,

I knew we soon must part.

But deep within my very being,

Love burned within my heart."

One verse was especially poignant to me. They sang of how the girl sailed through the air as her lover pushed her on a swing. The delicate dress would fly in the air, like the wings of an angel. Her hair would flow gracefully as it was caught up in the gentle breeze.

I closed my eyes and tired to envision such a scene. I saw my beautiful Anna, passing gracefully through the air. I could hear her joyous laughter and see her lovely face as she would turn to look back at me. I imagined her glee as she enjoyed the ride. Her magnificent legs were exposed briefly, as she soared to the highest part of her flight.

The singers went on to tell how the boat encountered an especially rough patch of sea. The captain tried valiantly, but it was to no avail. The ship hit a rock and began to sink.

The men quickly realized their plight and jumped into the cold, dark sea. The last thought the young lad had, was of his beautiful girl. He was sure he would see her no more. He held steadfast to her image, as he slowly sank into unconsciousness.

"As bitter cold enveloped his soul,

He dreamt about her warming touch."

The group went on to sing of how all hope appeared to be lost. They dedicated two verses to the seriousness of his plight. And then, out of the mist, came another boat. The rescuers carefully scooped the young man from the sea.

The ballad went on to relate how the young lad began to regain consciousness. His first thought was that he was in heaven and an angle was watching over him. As his eyes began to adjust, he saw that it was his one true love. She was there by his bedside, gently nursing him back to health.

The song went on to expound on their love, as only the Irish can do. I thought about Anna and remembered the times we had spent together. I recalled one occasion, when we had walked through the woods as the sun was beginning to set.

The trees and shrubs were vibrant with color. Of course, this was due to the angle of the sun. We passed a small meadow and I stopped and turned to look at my love. The yellow ball was shining on her and the background of tall grasses was shimmering in the light.

She smiled sweetly and her eyes began to twinkle. Her hair glowed in the golden light. I held my breath and starred in wonder at the beautiful maiden before me. Words could not even describe the feeling that welled up inside of me. I was in awe.

It was with those thoughts that I was finally able to sleep. I dreamt a number of pleasant dreams, but could not remember a one upon waking. All I remembered was that they were of my one and only girl. Getting her to me was becoming a mission that would soon consume my being.

Life continued on and I went about my required duties. I really enjoyed my work, but it did require time and dedication. Because of the large amount of work that had to be accomplished, I had been required to come in on a Saturday in order to stay abreast of my projects.

I welcomed Sunday as a time to rest and enjoy the world around me. After hearing an amazing message at church, I came home to relax and enjoy the last of the warm days of the year. My favorite football team would be playing that evening, so I had the whole afternoon to myself.

It was a beautiful fall day. As I sat out in my back yard, I saw things I had never seen before. The sun was at that low angle that it moves to in the fall. The light created shadows on the side of my house. It looked like one of those old silhouette screens I had seen in my youth. Trunks and limbs of trees were displayed on the large flat surface. Leaves and branches moved back and forth. A squirrel shadow ran the entire length of my house. It was like watching an old black and white TV. I could not recall seeing anything like it before.

The leaves above me were golden in color. The ones at the very tips of the trees were fluttering in the wind. For some unknown reason, they were twinkling with light. It looked as if they were covered with tiny strips of foil. Hundreds of silver lights shimmered against the background of an azure sky.

The raucous noise of blackbirds filled the air. I imagined that they were gathering for their winter migration. The noise was loud, but I somehow found it to be acceptable. Ducks gathered on the pond, safe from the guns of the hunters. I spotted teal, wood ducks, mergansers, and mallards. They appeared to be flighty and jumpy, ready to take off at a moment's notice. Who could blame them?

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.