A Southern Warming - Cover

A Southern Warming

Copyright© 2013 by SlaterChance

Chapter 16

My flight took off without any delay. Before I knew it, I was in the air and heading back home. The adventure that I had longed for was over. Once again, I found myself alone.

This time our parting had been made under much better circumstances. Anna knew that I loved her and that I would return at my earliest convenience. Lovers down through the ages have been separated for long periods of time. Why should our relationship be any different?

The day before I left, Anna had traveled with me to Moscow to see me off. I had arranged with Ivan to drive her back home. We had some good talks during the trip and we had both learned even more about each other.

I asked Ivan to drop us off at Red Square. Once there, we proceeded to walk around the area like the lovers that we were. The Square was surprisingly empty. We spotted only a few tourists and several guys selling their trinkets and souvenir Russian hats.

We were surprised when a small car entered between the barriers and drove onto the Square. The doors opened and an incredibly beautiful young man and woman stepped out of the car. They had to be models or stars of some sort. They had that perfect look that is so far above that of the normal everyday person.

They proceeded to laughingly carry on, throwing all caution to the wind as they ran across the stoned plaza. It wasn't but a few moments later, when a vehicle full of policeman sped after the already disappearing couple. I guess when you are young and beautiful; you feel that you are untouchable. Somehow, I guessed that they wouldn't be treated too harshly. The dress that the girl was wearing would keep the officers attention for at least a few minutes.

We walked over to a grassy area of the Alexander gardens, which lay along one side of the Kremlin walls. There we found a bench where we could sit and enjoy our surroundings. It was so satisfying to observe the families and tourists as they enjoyed the beauty of the area and the favorable weather.

We were surprised when four men came out of a building pushing lawn mowers. The oldest of the group was pushing what appeared to be the newest of the machines. Behind him walked another man with an older model, and so it went until the last man walked by pushing a very old mower. I wondered to myself whether it would even possible to get parts for the last machine. It looked so old.

The men held their heads high as they lined up, side by side, to the cut the grass. The first man started his mower and stepped forward. When he was a short way down the lawn, the next fellow did the same. In this staggered manner they continued to mow the grass until the whole area was back to a uniform level. I had to smile at the formal manner and pride in which they completed this normally mundane task.

We walked through the glass roofed GUM department store and looked at the expensive merchandise that was offered for sale. Clothing, glassware, and other merchandise, that could be found in any other upscale shop, was visible and on display.

We walked over to Moiseyevskaya Square and located several restaurants where we were able to purchase something to eat. We then took our food over by the rivulet, where we could sit and watch the passersby as we dined. Anna informed me that the Neglinnaya River had once flowed where we were sitting and that it was now confined to a tunnel far underground.

The visible canals were the only reminders of the former river. Once again I marveled at the environment in which I found myself. It seemed like there was some kind of aura that hung over the area around the Kremlin. I sensed such an air of mystery and intrigue.

I remembered reading an article, in a science magazine, about a special cat that had been developed for the purpose of listening in on the Russians. The cat was called the "Million Dollar Cat" and it was equipped with listening devices that would enable the cat to gather information while it walked around the offices in the Kremlin.

I had learned that the buildings in the area had an infestation and that cats were commonly employed to catch the mice. As the story went, the cat was released in a park near the Kremlin and was immediately struck by a car as it crossed the busy street. That was the end of that big idea.

After we had finished our lunch, we walked over to a nearby church that had several large, golden domes. The church that had originally stood at that location had been torn down to make way for a gymnasium. Over the years, the new building had suffered one catastrophe after another. Thinking that the building was cursed, a new church had once again been rebuilt on the site. That was the church that we had been looking at. After the church was dedicated, there had been no further problems in the area. The church was magnificent.

The time finally came when I needed to get to the airport if I was going to catch my plane. I called Ivan and he picked us up at a location in the vicinity of St Basil's. I had to chuckle as we were driving along one particular highway. I was surprised to see several women, wearing scarves, sweeping off the underpasses along the highway with brooms. As I thought more about it, I realized that at least they were employed. I supposed that from that small wage, they would be able to purchase some food and necessities on which they could survive.

The drive to the airport went by much too quickly. I had then proceeded to say my goodbyes. I thanked Ivan for his services. I then turned to Anna and held her hands. I starred deeply into her eyes and was very pleased with what I saw. I lowered my head and searched for her mouth. Our lips seemed to be drawn together as if by a magnet. I savored that kiss, as I felt the fullness of her lower lip between mine. I caught that sweet scent that only Anna possessed. I felt the warmth of her breath. I closed my eyes so as to concentrate all my senses on that special physical interaction.

"I love you Clint," I heard her say.

They were simple words, but they were the words that I wanted to hear. What else could be said? We would soon be parted. We would be separated by thousands of miles of land and water. The only thing that would be able to bind us together would be our love for each other.

"I love you too," I replied.

Then our lips had parted, our bodies had separated, and we had each gone our separate ways.

I had given Anna my phone so that she could call me regularly. She would need to drive a few miles in order to use it. She could also call when she was working at a larger hospital. It was a small consolation, but I felt better knowing that I would be able to talk to her in a very short period of time.

I had informed her about my plan. I had also given her an assignment. She would need to be on the lookout for a student, which she could then train to take over her medical practice. Anna had informed me that she was already in the process of grooming one young man. I had learned that she had taken this man under her wing and had served as his mentor in the clinic.

My job would be to talk with some of my friends in the university and see if they could arrange a cross cultural training opportunity. I figured if I could find an opportunity for Anna to further her studies in America, I could at least have the chance to spend more time with her. I had also tossed around in my mind, the idea of having Anna fly back to Russia to do clinics. Of course that would be after she had established residency in the U.S.

I sat back in my seat and looked out the window. The sun was at about eleven o'clock and I figured it would stay at that position for the remainder of the trip. I realized that I would have many hours ahead of me in which to replay the experiences of the last few weeks.

As I sat back to think, I recalled one unsettling incident that I had not told Anna about. I had been in my room at the hotel, when I had heard a knock at the door. I had opened the door to see one of the biggest men I have ever seen in my life.

His hair was cut short. His forearms were covered in tattoos. He wore a black, short sleeved shirt, which strained to contain his well-muscled arms. He was older than me and had a face that exhibited several scares. He had the appearance of a man who had been in at least a few brawls.

Before I could respond, he had entered my room and had shut the door.

I was caught off guard and unsure as to what I should expect. He was bigger than me and I could see a bulge, under his arm. I had a pretty good idea that it was a gun.

"What are your plans for Anna," he said.

I looked at his face. His eyes were staring at me intently. I figured that the only thing I could do was to tell the truth.

"I love Anna," I said.

I stared back into his eyes.

He looked deeply into mine. It was the look of a highly intelligent, no nonsense, type of man.

"You do not hurt Anna," he had finally stated. "I will watch you."

Then he had turned and walked out the door. I guessed that it was the man who had protected Anna so many years before. I wondered how much he knew about our meetings in the woods and at other times. I raked my memory for any detail that I might have missed. I searched for something that might have indicated that someone had been following us.

He had not forbid me to see Anna, so that was a good thing. I figured that he just wanted me to know that he would be watching to insure that I didn't do anything that would hurt her. I actually felt safe, knowing that hurting Anna was the furthest thing from my mind.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.