A Southern Warming - Cover

A Southern Warming

Copyright© 2013 by SlaterChance

Chapter 14

Anna didn't ask me about my plan right then. Instead, we just enjoyed the fact that we were together. I held her hand and lovingly studied every detail. It was a beautiful hand, just like the rest of her. I could feel the warmth emanating from her palm.

Anna informed me that she had to work in the afternoon, so we headed back to her house. When we arrived, she proceeded to prepare some lunch for me and her mother.

Lunch consisted of sausage, rice kasha, cucumbers, bread, and chai. It had not taken me long to realize I would be eating a good number of cucumbers during my stay in Russia.

After lunch, Anna drove me back to my hotel, gave me a kiss, and with a sigh, headed off to work in her small clinic.

I had learned that she ran the facility with the help of another male doctor. Their patients came in with everything from berries stuck in children's noses to older folks in various stages of heart failure. Prior to Anna's arrival in the clinic, conditions had existed that were unsanitary, and in some cases, very dangerous. Many of the needles had been used over and over, with some even containing areas of rust. Anna and her partner had corrected those problems, on many occasions purchasing supplies with their own money.

When a problem became more complicated, the patient would be referred to a hospital in a larger city. The closest one was several hours away. It was not unusual for Anna to be awakened at night and asked to come to a person's home. Despite the amount of responsibility that doctors had, and the fact that they often held people's lives in the hands; they were paid a relatively low wage. Their pay was similar to what a teacher would make. Both professions were on the lower end of the scale.

I found myself with the rest of the afternoon off and nothing specific on my schedule. Russians tend to be more reserved and seem to keep to themselves, so I decided to walk around and explore the town. I figured if I avoided talking, I would have a better chance of remaining anonymous.

I saw a good number of men working on cars and motorcycles. I had heard, more in jest, that if you needed any parts, you could find them along the road near the car dealer. The message there was that the parts would fall off as you drove away.

Many of the homes had gardens that were producing well. I went into a couple of stores and noticed a good variety of items for sale. I would say that the big difference was in the quantity, selection, and pricing.

I walked into one store to purchase something to drink. As I came around a corner, I came face to face with a burly, unhappy looking man. I tried to step to one side in order to move by him, but he blocked my way. From what I could determine, his intentions were not good.

He said something in Russian that I did not understand.

"Ya nye gavaryoo pa-rooskee," (I can't speak Russian) I said.

He said something in response. By his inflections, I could tell it was not a friendly reply.

I had to think quickly. If I had been in familiar surroundings, it would have been less of a problem. Back home, I could have easily talked my way out of the situation. My voice and my mannerisms were such, that in many cases, most men had backed down. If it would come down to a shoving match, there was not much doubt that I could at least stand my ground.

But I was in a foreign country. I was not aware of all the local rules or systems of hierarchy. I had no idea of how the man was connected. He held the upper hand and he knew it.

"American," I said. Then off the cuff, I said the name of the man from the wood company.

"Sergei Demidov," I said.

That definitely sparked something inside the man's head. With a nod, he let me pass. It was during that encounter that I learned that this Sergei possessed more power than I had at first assumed.

I eventually arrived back at my hotel. Once there, I decided to catch up on some of my reading. About an hour later, I was surprised when I heard a knock at my door. I recognized the serious fellow standing before me as one of Sergei's men. Through hand gestures, and my minimal speaking abilities, I realized that I was supposed to return to the shop with him.

Without my driver as an interpreter, I knew it would be difficult for us to understand each other, but I decided to go along any way. I figured that Sergei must really want our business. His eagerness to meet with me again, and at such an early date, gave me the impression that I might have a chance at gaining the upper hand.

Sergei was very cordial and seemed pleased to see me again. We proceeded to go over some pricing by writing numbers on pads of paper. We eventually came very close to an agreement but finally arrived at a point where neither of us would budge. I didn't want him to think that I gave in too quickly, so I held up my hands to indicate we were at an impasse.

Out came the vodka and some chocolates. This time I decided to have a few drinks. I knew I wouldn't be driving and the vodka was of extremely good quality. Sergei was feeling very good and tried to teach me a few Russian songs. Once again we parted on good terms and he had his driver return me to my hotel.

It was starting to get dark by the time I saw Anna enter the lobby. I told her about the area by the river where I had observed the dancing couples. She informed me that she was well aware of it and had visited that spot on several occasions. She said that one of her best memories had occurred there with her mom and dad.

We stopped at a place that sold kabobs and found a place to sit while we ate our food. Then Anna drove me out to the spot I had mentioned. The road was very bumpy and I wondered how the vehicle would hold up. Despite the rough ride, I could already sense that some magic was going to happen. Once we had stopped, I got out and gathered some pieces of wood, then proceeded to start a fire.

For a long time, we just sat on a log and held each other's hand. The butterflies were gone, but the scenery around us was filled with as much beauty as I could remember finding anywhere else in the world. The sound of the water, as it flowed over stones or around obstacles, only added to the peaceful setting around us. I asked Anna to find a station on her radio that played music. It did not take long before the sounds of Russian folk music were filling the air.

I gently took her by the hand and we began to dance. It felt so good. It felt so right. There I was, halfway around the world, dancing with the woman that I loved.

Rationally, I couldn't explain it. There were plenty of women in the world that would meet my requirements. There were hundreds of fine women that were single, widowed, or divorced that would make the right man a wonderful mate.

In my case, none of them had stirred the feelings that arose within me when I had met Anna. There was something in the chemistry between us that went beyond man's normal understanding. Maybe it is true after all; each of us is destined to truly love only one other person. Maybe it is up to us to wait, however long, until that one individual comes along.

I could have danced all night. I finally realized what that song really meant. To have her so close, as we swayed to the music, satisfied me completely. I found myself in a place of perfect contentment.

Eventually, the spell was broken, and we had to head back. Anna dropped me off at the hotel and then continued on to her home and her mother.

Before she left, she informed me that she would be free on the following day. As I climbed into bed, I had the sweet knowledge that I would be able to spend the entire day with her on the morrow.

Anna picked me up after breakfasts and we headed east to Nizhny Novgorod. I was told that it was a large city and a stopping place for many of the cruise ships that plied the rivers. Along the way we spotted some cars that had stopped along the side of the road. I was surprised when I saw a dead moose that had evidently been struck by one of the vehicles. It was the first wild animal of any size that I had seen.

Nizhny turned out to be a beautiful city. We spotted several long cruise ships in the river. We stopped and parked in a lot at the bottom of a set of massive stairs. They appeared to lead to the center of the city on the high bluff above. Once we had made the climb, we were able to look out and survey the river and valley below.

One of the first places of interest that we visited was an old fort that had stood watch over the river. We walked hand in hand as we strolled along the inner wall. From the various vantage points, we were able obtain incredible views of the countryside below.

We found that the main street had been restricted to pedestrian traffic only. There we discovered many booths where folks were displaying their crafts or art work. We saw stands selling blue pottery, lacquer boxes, matryoshka nesting dolls, and many other items which required a craftsman with a high degree of skill.

The buildings, overhead wires for the streetcars, wordings on the signs, and the overall appearance of the city reminded me that I was indeed in a foreign country. It wasn't until I saw a McDonalds, that the impression that I had traveled back in time was finally broken.

Of course everything was made more special by the fact that I had Anna by my side. I don't believe five minutes went by where I didn't glance over to admire and marvel at the beautiful woman I was with.

We had a wonderful day together and enjoyed some very good food. By the time Anna dropped me off that night, it was getting late and we were both tired from the long day we had experienced together.

Anna asked me to meet her at an orphanage where she would be working the following day. She gave me the location and told me when to arrive. We both hugged, and after a long kiss, we parted for the night.

Now I imagine by this time, many of you are saying, "When is that guy going to get her into the sack." Sure, I had experienced those thoughts and desires that any man would have. But more than that, I wanted to cherish and appreciate all the little things about my girl that made her so special.

Sex is only one facet. To discover a woman that you cannot take your eyes off, a woman that invades your thoughts continually, a woman that you would be willing to give your life for; that is something that most people will never get a chance to experience.

I hoped that one day, when the time was right, we would finally engage in that most physical way of sharing one's love. Until that time, I was content to bask in the aura of her being and all those little things that made her so very special.

The next morning, I called Ivan and asked him to pick me up around ten. I ate my breakfast and wandered around town in order to kill some time. At the appointed hour, I met Ivan and we headed to the orphanage.

The facility was located out in the country. From what I could determine, it had once been the home of a noble of some kind. The buildings were located on a bluff that overlooked a meandering river. It was a beautiful site by any definition, and one which any budding artist would have been glad to paint.

Anna arrived shortly and advised me that I was free to look around the grounds while she met with the administrator. She informed me that she was responsible for seeing that the boys had their regularly scheduled physicals.

I was especially interested in a structure that appeared to have once been a chapel. Despite the crumbling interior of the dome, it was easy to see that a number of cherubs had once adorned the ceiling. Behind them, I could faintly distinguish what had once been a vibrant blue sky. I was left to my imagination as to how the building might have once reflected the wonder and beauty that the artist had intended.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.