A Southern Warming
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2013 by SlaterChance

I headed back toward town and stopped at a small business that rented canoes and other types of water craft. On my way down, I had made a mental note to check it out. The yard was strewn with kayaks, surfboards, and wind-surfers. I picked out a boat that had a streamlined shape and appeared to have a comfortable seat.

"Do you have any suggestions on where I can go?" I asked the young man who was helping me.

"Your plates tell me that you're not from here, so I'd suggest the lagoon to start out. After that you may want to try some of the rivers and backwaters. If you're experienced, you may want to go out into the surf."

I thanked him for his advice and loaded the kayak onto my Rover. I had learned that the lagoon was located down the road several miles. The sticker that I had acquired for camping would also allow me into that portion of the park which encompassed the lagoon.

I smiled at the woman in the booth as I entered the park. She informed me that I needed to turn the tag around on the visor, so that she could see the information.

"I'm so sorry," I said, as I followed her instructions. After a glance at my registration, she nodded her head and allowed me access into the park.

I followed the map, which directed me down a thickly forested road. On either side of the trail stood tall palemtos, shrubs, and other plants that I could not identify. Thick knurled vines wound their way upward on many of the trees. The sun was at a perfect angle, which insured that the vegetation was displayed in the best available light.

"This is absolutely beautiful," I thought to myself. Rays of light filtered through the overhead canopy. I passed a parking lot which had a sign directing visitors to the lighthouse. That was a side trip that I would have to take some other time. My main mission that day was to get out on the water and enjoy the incredible weather that had been made available for me.

I traveled past several more lots before coming to the one for the lagoon. A narrow stretch of water became visible through several breaks in the vegetation. I parked my vehicle and got out to take a look.

The waterway disappeared around a bend to my right. It was wide enough so that someone with a good arm would be able to throw a stone across. I could tell by the damp mud around the shore, that the tide was in the process of going out.

I headed back to my vehicle to unload the kayak and prepare for my adventure. The shore had a relatively steep slope, so I had to walk into the water in order to launch the boat. Once I was situated, I began to make a quick assessment of my new conveyance.

The seat felt very comfortable. I took several strokes with my paddle. The boat moved quickly and tracked very well. I had made a good choice.

I noticed a flash out of the corner of my eye and splash to my right. I turned my head to see a pelican, which had just dived straight down, in an attempt to catch something for dinner. I heard another splash and spotted another pelican. I soon began to notice small fish jumping across the top of the water. I stopped for a moment and watched the activity.

I spotted several more pelicans. They were perched on logs located several inches above the surface. I rotated my arms and began to move across the water. With each stoke, I found I was being quickly propelled along the mirror-like body. It wasn't long before I found myself rounding the bend and looking at the long stretch before me.

Paddling along one shore, I noticed some oyster beds just under the water. A number of trees had fallen and portions of their trunks were half submerged. From beyond the high dunes, I could hear the ocean as it crashed against the shore. I continued down the channel. "How fun it would be to see an alligator", I said out loud. Just then, I felt a bump against the bottom of my boat. Whether it was some large creature or just a log, I guess I will never know.

I gradually began to slow my speed, until I was motionless on the water. A kayak brings one very close to the natural elements. I closed my eyes and concentrated all my senses on the world around me. The sun warmed my skin and seemed to invigorate my soul.

I felt the fluttering of my hair as it was moved by the slightest breeze. I heard the chatter of some unidentified bird. I continue to concentrate, picking out the tapping of a woodpecker in the distance. The environment smelled warm and moist. There was just the slightest hint of salt.

I actually stayed in that state for quite a while. It was the sound of dipping paddles that caused me to open my eyes. I was surprised to see a couple in a canoe, approaching from the distance.

As they passed, we exchanged greetings. I was secretly envious of the young man in the back of the boat. From what I could see, he had a great view. The woman in front of him was wearing a string bikini. It didn't leave a whole lot to the imagination. Her skin was well tanned and it was easy to see that her body was curved in all the right areas. "I know I could paddle for days with that inspiration," I thought to myself. Soon they had passed and I was once again alone.

I continued on my way and noticed that the channel had become narrower. The tide was receding, and I noticed that a few more trees had become exposed. It felt really good to get into a pattern of rhythmic paddling. It didn't take long before I could see that I was experiencing another change in my surroundings.

Up ahead, I noticed a narrow opening. This channel feed out into a larger body of water. I didn't see any crashing waves and the moving water looked manageable. I carefully made my way out into the new flow.

Taking a quick look around at my surroundings, it became evident that I was on a river. It must have been the one that flowed past the town and out into the ocean. I decided to head in the direction of the current in order to discover what adventures lay in store for me.

After a short time, I came to an area where the river mingled with the ocean. The water at that point was turbulent, but not excessively so. With a rapid pull of my arms, I began to move across the waves.

The kayak rode well and I soon found myself beyond the surf. I was now out on the ocean and riding the swells. The waves would rise and almost obscure the land. Then I would ride up and once again be able to see for miles.

Along one shoreline, I noticed a long pier that led out onto the water. I decided that it must be the fishing pier I had seen on the map. I also noticed a bridge beyond that. I had been told that it led out onto a private island. From my understanding, there was a guard stationed at a gate to insure that no rift-raft invaded the private enclave.

I paddled some more and noticed the lighthouse down the beach. The waves seemed to be rather rough as they approached the shore. After further study, I decided to return the way I had come. It had been a good ride and I had enjoyed myself immensely.

The trip back went very well. I didn't spot any alligators but I did see some ospreys. I spotted their speckled bodies perched high in the trees. I felt their piercing gaze as I passed. I continued my rhythmic motions and soon found myself rounding the bend in the lagoon.

Other folks had stopped to enjoy the park. I noticed a small group wading along the shore. A dark-skinned man was casting a net into the water. Every so often he would pull a fish out of the net and hand it to the man who was accompanying him. I imagined that they would be enjoying a very nice meal, later in the day.

I pulled my boat out of the water and cleaned it off as best I could. Then I carried it up to the vehicle and tied it on. After packing away the rest of my gear, I stopped to sit on a bench and enjoy my surroundings.

A family was busy making lunch. The pelicans had moved to the opposite shore. An older man and his wife appeared to be trying to decide whether or not they were going to unload their canoe.

The man walked over in my direction. "What's the lagoon like," he asked.

"I think you will have a very enjoyable time," I replied. "Do you need any help unloading your canoe?"

The man thanked me but said he was still trying to decide whether or not he wanted to go then, or wait until the morrow. I walked back to my Rover and headed down the road.

By the time I had returned the kayak and picked up a few groceries, I was beginning to feel some hunger pains. I decided it would be fun to try out one of the local establishments that I had noticed along the way.

When I drove into the Frog's Lair, the parking lot was full. I took that as a good sign. The restaurant sported a nautical theme, which fit in well with the surrounding marshland. The girl at the door asked if she could help me.

"I'm looking for some really good food," I said with a big smile.

She returned my smile and said, "Well then, you have come to the right place. Just follow me."

She seated me by a window, where I could look out over the marsh. In the distance, I could see some shrimp boats that were evidently tied up to a dock. Gulls were flying back and forth in search of food. I studied the menu and decided on the fried okra for an appetizer. For my main dish, I settled on the frog legs. I also chose the collard greens. They were advertised as the best in the state.

Now you might wonder what a northern boy would know about collard greens. Well, my grandmother raised her family on the farm and served the family a wide variety of greens. I don't believe there were many greens that my mother didn't eat. She would even tell me of eating dandelions and lambs quarter. I remembered having collards, somewhere along the line, and had found them to be quite tasty.

The okra turned out to be amazing. My brother grew okra at home and had deep-fried some for me. I had thought that his cooking was really good. The dish that I was eating was even better than his. I found the vegetable to be about four inches long, with a very light coating. Every bite was incredibly tender. There wasn't a stringy one in the bunch. I found the dinning to be very pleasurable indeed.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.