A Southern Warming - Cover

A Southern Warming

Copyright© 2013 by SlaterChance

Chapter 2

I exited the freeway and headed in the direction of the second oldest town in South Carolina. It was becoming obvious that I was no longer in a zone four growing area. Spanish moss hung from many of the trees that lined the road. I noticed areas of red and pink bushes that were magnificently displaying their vibrant colors.

A quick glance at my console let me know that the outside temperature was in the high seventies. Things were beginning to look up. I drove slowly through the center of town and noticed an array of signs that directed visitors to historic old buildings and homes. I made a mental note to check them out, once I had established a base of operations.

The city was located along a river that continued out into the ocean. A nice waterfront park and marina stood at the base of a lift bridge that spanned the flowing water. Over the bridge I went, just making it before the traffic was stopped to allow a tall-masted sailboat to cruise through.

I had a few more miles to travel once I passed through the city. I noticed several restaurants, crab shacks, and produce stands along the way. All were filed away in my memory for further exploration. One of my favorite pastimes was to find out-of-the-way places that would provide excellent venues for dietary study and consumption.

Soon I found myself traveling through more open country. A long narrow road led on for miles. It was surrounded on both sides by a marsh-like area. Later, I would learn that the tide had gone out and what appeared to be marsh would soon be filled with rising water. I noticed several ospreys hovering around their nests on the poles of the power lines. I also spotted several hawks.

It wasn't long before the road veered to the right and I saw a sign that directed me in the direction of the campground. It was early afternoon and I figured I would have sufficient time to set up my camp and still have a few hours to relax in the sun.

I was halted by a man standing near the headquarters building.

"Do you have a reservation?" he asked politely.

"I do," I said, as I presented him with my confirmation slip.

He checked it over and then presented me with a form to hang from my visor.

"Just continue straight ahead and follow the road. It will take you around a bend and shortly after that you will see your campsite. "I hope you enjoy your visit," I heard him say, as I thanked him and drove on ahead.

I was very pleased when I came to my new temporary accommodations. Nothing but a few palmettos and a small fence separated me from the beach. I had finally made it. Soon I would be able to soak in the sun, walk in the sand, and forget most of the obligations that a normal modern day entails.

I pulled off the road and got out of my vehicle to take a walk around my new home. I located a nice sand pad upon which I would place my tent. The picnic table was located near the fire ring. I moved it a little closer and directed it so it would point toward the ocean.

I went back to my Rover and pulled out my camping equipment. It didn't take long before I had my tent up and my cooking area arranged. When I felt that my new lodging was adequately prepared, I pulled out my chair and headed for the beach.

A dune separated my camp from the beach. The ocean itself was about three hundred feet away. I had no idea whether it was high or low tide. I knew there would be plenty of time to learn all the nuances of my new surroundings.

The sand possessed a fine texture and appeared to be a light tan in color. The warmth and softness of the sand felt good on my now bare feet.

I opened my chair and placed it on the beach. It was one of those chairs that fold up into a long narrow bundle that can be slung over a shoulder. What was special about this one was the fact that it had a leg rest attached. If I situated myself just right, I would be able to use the chair like I would my lazy boy back home.

I looked around at my new environment. Several brown pelicans were gracefully riding the waves. Small shore-birds were scurrying around; chasing whatever it is that they chase. I saw a row of dunes along the beach with signs warning people to "Stay Off".

The sky above was a brilliant blue. A few fluffy clouds could be spotted in the distance. Several girls walked by wearing tiny bikinis. I watched from the safety of my sunglasses as they passed in front of me. I had to marvel at their youth and beauty. I loved the little sway each one exhibited as they passed.

Were they aware of the richness of life that was available to them? Did they know of the joy of discovery they might find around the next bend of the beach or behind the next tree in the woods? Did they realize the power and energy that their youthful bodies possessed? Were they aware of the vast storehouse of life that was waiting to be released and explored?

From what I could see, they were just a group of girls walking along a beach and talking. I figured they understood how good they looked and realized what effect they had on the men that they passed. Whether their thoughts went any deeper than that; I knew I would never know.

I had planned on just resting my eyes for a moment. The warmth that enveloped me caught me off guard and I was soon fast asleep. The fact that I was wearing most of my travelling clothes, and the lateness of the day, were the only things that saved me from getting an unpleasant sunburn on my first day in the southern sun.

I awoke to the sound of the beach patrol buggy traveling along the water's edge. I waved as they passed. I could feel my skin warming on the exposed parts of my body. I figured my hands and face would be able to adapt to this new exposure relatively well. I made a mental note to put lotion on my nose the next time I went out.

I remembered back to the first time I had travelled south during a spring break. My girlfriend and I had left home right after finals. We had driven all the way to Florida without stopping. When we entered northern Florida at sunrise, we had expected to see the roads lined with palm trees and other exotic vegetation.

What we saw instead were rows and row of pine trees.

"If I wanted to see pine trees, I would have stayed home," I stated.

"I sure hope the scenery changes," I remember my companion replying. I could see the disappointment on her face.

We continued driving and eventually spotted a sign that pointed toward a beach. We followed the sign until we saw a causeway that led out to a small island that was covered in sand. It was the vegetation on the island that first caught our attention. There stood the palm trees that we had been so anxious to see. Palm trees, sand, and sun were available and just waiting for our enjoyment.

As I remember the story, we actually ran to the changing room and then onto the beach. Before we knew it, we were lying on our blankets and enjoying the warmth of the sun. In our ignorance, we stayed on the beach for several hours before heading back to the car to find lodging for the night.

It was later in the day when we realized the error of our ways. The intensity of the sun had burned our pale white skin and turned it into an angry reddish color. All the benefits of having the incredible body of a young woman next to me were negated by the fact that we were both in utter agony. The next few days had been miserable as we sought ways to minimize the pain that ensued. On that trip, we learned a lesson that we would never repeat; never spend more than forty- five minutes in the sun the first couple of days after a long cold winter.

I slowly got up from my chair and stretched out my arms toward the heavens. Then I rotated my upper body while keeping my hips and legs in a stationary position. I felt really good. The rest, sun, and ocean air provided a sense of cleansing to my soul. I had made the right decision by heading south. Having no agenda, I picked up my chair and headed back to my campsite. As I did, I noticed that the water's edge had moved a little closer in my direction.

The rest of the evening was filled with chores related to the establishment of a base for myself. I blew up my mattress and placed it in the tent. I recalled the air mattresses that I had used as a youth. They had been made out of a vinyl-like material and stood about three inches high. By morning, they would usually have lost most of their air.

The mattress that I now used was a queen size. The inflated size was about eight inches high and I found it to be very comfortable. With the fresh air from the ocean, a soft bed, and the crashing waves; I knew I was in for a very pleasant slumber.

Of course, I could have rented a room in a sterile hotel with all the usual fixtures. I could have slept on an adequate bed and listened to the hiss of the cooling system as it recycled the air throughout the room. I could have ordered room service and tasted the food of a decent cook. But instead, I was in an environment that was a bit more primitive, but one in which I was finding satisfaction and refreshment for my soul.

I unpacked my portable oven and placed it on my two-burner stove. While it was heating up, I mixed up some blueberry muffin mix. I then poured the mixture into a tin and then paced it in the stove. Before long, I had some steaming hot muffins that were ready to eat.

I placed a nice rib eye in the pan and mixed together a fresh salad. While I waited for the meat to cook, I took another look around at my surroundings. It wasn't long before the meat was ready and I was able to sit down and enjoy a very tasty meal. As I put some butter on my muffin and looked out over the ocean, I once again knew that I was in the right place. When the first bite of steak touched my tongue, I closed my eyes and savored the flavors that were stimulating my taste buds. Like Pavlov's dogs, I began to salivate.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.