A Flawed Diamond
Chapter 67

Copyright© 2013 by Jay Cantrell

Drama Sex Story: Chapter 67 - It’s been six years since Brock Miller and his friends left his adopted hometown. The angry boy has become a young adult, and life has taken him in a direction that none of them could have foreseen. But the scars from his troubled teens are deep – maybe too deep to allow him to find the most elusive of goals: a place to call home. [Sequel to "The Outsider."]

Caution: This Drama Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Mult   Consensual   Romantic   BiSexual   Sports   Safe Sex   Oral Sex   Anal Sex   Masturbation   Slow   Violence  

The reporters who missed Brock on Monday caught up to him on Tuesday. The media outlets had been surprised when his camp had not released a statement about his reinstatement to the active roster.

The fact he had remained silent – and wasn't staying at the team hotel – left a gaping hole in their coverage of the Commissioner's decision. They stationed themselves outside the player's entrance at three o'clock to make sure they had something from him for the follow-up stories their editors and producers insisted had to be done. After all, it was rare for the Commissioner of Baseball to get involved in the day-to-day operations of a single franchise.

Brock stepped out of the cab and into a maelstrom of reporters, fans and autograph seekers, all pushing to get in the best position for access to the players as they arrived. The fans and those looking for a signature had owned the spot for decades. The reporters were the interlopers but their sense of entitlement meant they thought everyone else should yield to them. The team security had forced everyone behind the barriers and let the three groups fight it out from there.

Brock had stopped to sign a baseball cap held by a child when a boom microphone was stuffed in his face.

"Get that ... thing out of my face, you idiot," Brock said loudly. He had almost cursed in front of the child and her parents – and in front of the cameras that were recording his every move. "You get your time after the game. The time before the game is for the fans. Now get away from me. I have absolutely nothing to say to anyone with a media credential."

He physically pushed the microphone away from him and returned to signing the baseball cap. It didn't stop the writers and television personalities from shouting questions and trying to push forward.

It got to the point where it was posing a danger to the smaller people in the front so Brock held up his hands and started to walk away.

"You just spoiled a day at the ballpark for some of these people," he said to the working media. "I hope you're happy and I hope you all sleep well tonight knowing that even more people despise you today than yesterday. What a bunch of self-centered jerks."

He slipped into the player's entrance and walked down the hallway to the clubhouse. He saw the manager's door open and peeked his head in.

"I'm not going to issue a statement about my reinstatement," Brock informed him. "The reporters just about stampeded a bunch of school kids out there so they can lump it as far as I'm concerned."

"OK," LaCross said with a shrug. He didn't care in the least what anyone said or didn't say.

"I figured they'd complain to Media Relations and Media Relations would complain to you," Brock explained. "I didn't want you forced into the middle without knowing why I'm doing it."

"Yeah, good point," LaCross said with a frown. "Will you be OK in left field today?"

"I guess so," Brock said. "It's a weird set up with the way the bullpens are situated."

"I can put Matt out there today if you'd rather," Jim offered.

"What would you prefer?" Brock asked.

"I would prefer that St. Petersburg tear down this dinosaur so I can use Al in the outfield," the manager replied. "But, since my opinion ain't been solicited on the matter, I don't suppose that's going to happen. Short of that, I'd prefer you in left. You have better instincts. On turf, the ball gets to the wall in a hurry if you take the wrong line."

"Then I'll do it," Brock said.

"I'm going to move you up to sixth in the lineup," Jim continued.

"Jesus, after my performance yesterday I figured you'd let the pitcher hit and see if Al might be able to DH for me," Brock said. "I can honestly say I've never struck out while I was on my ass before."

"They kid threw a hell of a game," Jim understated. "You weren't the only one who flailed around up there. You got robbed at the end so at least you appeared to have learned something. Their guy today is no slouch either. But I want to keep the righty-lefty-righty-lefty component we get with you in the sixth spot. That keeps teams from using situational relievers as much. If they bring in a lefty to face Al, they're forced to leave him in to face Wade if they want to use him against you, too. The same is true with a righty for Wade and Cesar."

"However you want it," Brock said.

"Exactly," LaCross replied with a nod. "That's because I got the pen in my hand. Now get out of here."


Although it lacked the historical context, Tuesday's game was even more exciting than Monday's. The teams were scoreless through sixth innings and the score was tied 1-1 after nine. The top of the 10th was baseball at its finest, as far as Brock was concerned.

Wade lead off by lashing a double down the left field line. LaCross didn't hesitate for even a moment before sending Milton out to pinch run. Brock followed Wade in the lineup but LaCross called him back. Brock's first thought was that the manager planned to pinch hit for him. Instead, LaCross put his arm around Brock's shoulder and turned him until his back was to the field.

"I know Middleton," he said. "Right now he's running through probabilities in his head. The book says we sacrifice bunt here or you try to take the ball to the right side to put the runner at third with one out."

"OK," Brock said with a nod.

"No," LaCross said. "The book says that so the Rays are going to expect it. I want them to expect it. They are going to give you a steady diet of pitches away. As soon as you walk out there, Middleton is going to go to the mound and tell the pitcher to keep the ball away out of the strike zone. When you walk out, I want you to hold the bat a couple of inches farther up the barrel. Maybe even show bunt on the first pitcher. Make it look like you plan to bunt. Take until you get a strike but after that if that ball is anywhere near hittable, I want you to drive it into left field."

Brock nodded and followed his manager's directions as he walked to the plate. Sure enough, as soon as Brock was announced as the hitter, Middleton sent his pitching coach out of the dugout.

He stole a glance into the Rays dugout and saw the Tampa manager staring intently across the field at the Dodgers skipper. The umpire went out to break up the mound conference and the players resumed their positions.

When the catcher returned behind the plate, he didn't crouch. Instead he extended his glove hand out to the side of his body. They were going to walk Brock intentionally. The cat-and-mouse game between Jim LaCross and Joe Middleton continued.

Brock handed his bat to the kid who came to collect it and trotted to first. Cesar Davis followed Brock in the lineup. The double play was set up, which was what Middleton intended. He would permit the runner to go to third if he got two outs from the play but he wouldn't let him get there for only one out.

Brock saw LaCross was the one standing in the dugout with his arms crossed. Brock thought he might over-think things and order a double steal. Milton had outstanding speed but swiping third was always difficult. Brock would be able to steal second because the throw would be to third. If Milton was safe, there would be runners on second and third with no outs. If he was caught, there would be a runner on second with one out – the same as if Brock had struck out or failed to advance the runner.

The third base coach ran through the signs as his two base runners and the batter watched intently. Cesar nodded firmly when the coach finished and Brock fought a smile. The hand signals had meant exactly nothing. They were just a decoy to make the Rays players and coaches wonder if something was in the works.

Cesar took a pitch on the outside corner for strike one and the coach repeated his signs. Again, no play was on but Cesar, probably on instructions from LaCross, squared around to bunt. The third baseman couldn't move forward because that would leave the bag unoccupied and Milton would be there in a heartbeat. That left the pitcher to cover the left side of the infield. It gave him something else to think about as he delivered the pitch.

Davis pulled the bat back as the pitch was low. Because the first baseman had charged forward to field a potential bunt, Brock had taken a couple of extra steps toward second. He saw the second baseman circle behind him toward first base and hustled back to the bag. The last thing he needed was to be picked off first base on a snap throw from the catcher to the second baseman covering. Although Brock had spent limited time at second base, it was a play that Roberto Contreras had worked with him on during Spring Training.

The second baseman gave him a half smile as he returned to his spot on the diamond. The first baseman took three steps forward as the pitcher went into his stretch. That allowed Brock an extended lead off the base because the pitcher couldn't throw over. It would be a balk if he threw to the first baseman. The pitcher had to throw to the base, not the player, on a pickoff. The first baseman took one more step forward as the ball was delivered and Cesar made him pay.

The batter didn't square around to bunt. Instead he poked the ball over the first baseman's head and into right field. Milton scored without a throw and Brock made it to third on the hit. He popped up from his slide in time to see Joe Middleton throw his hat in disgust.

That was the only run the Dodgers scored that inning. Driesbach popped out to short and Courson, starting for Sanchez, grounded into an inning-ending double play.

Brock headed back to the dugout expecting to be pulled from the game. Milton had pinch ran for Wade Watson and would stay in the game. He was a superior defensive outfielder. Sure enough, as he ran to the dugout, he saw Rafael Mendoza heading out to play first base.

Broderick Williams was a defensive replacement at third for Josh, as had been the case anytime the Dodgers led late all season long. Brock took a seat between Josh and Wade on the bench.

"That was pretty neat to watch," Brock said.

Josh nodded but was interrupted before he could speak.

"Miller!" LaCross yelled. "What in the fuck are you doing? Get out there."

Brock looked up at his manager.

"Where?" he asked. "I mean, I saw John go to left."

"Shortstop, God damn it," LaCross muttered.

Brock hadn't even brought his infield glove out from the clubhouse. He looked around frantically for a moment and then grabbed Josh's and headed out to the position to the laughter of his teammates.

"Nice of you to join us, Mr. Miller," Zack, who had been summoned in to close out the game, told him.

"Shut up and pitch, Rookie," Brock replied with a laugh.

It turned out Zack really didn't need anyone to play shortstop – or anywhere else for that matter. As had happened numerous times during the year, he struck out the side in the 10th, then accepted congratulations with a nonchalance that suggested he'd expected nothing different.

"God, you've got sweaty hands," Brock said as he tossed Josh's glove back to him.

"You can play barehanded next time," Josh replied with a smile.


While Brock was enjoying the nuances of strategic baseball, Meredith was occupied with other things. Once again, the crowd was sparse for the game. Only 8,000 fans showed up to see a team whose pitcher had thrown a perfect game the night before.

Meredith's reactions from the day before had not gone unnoticed by the SportsNet television crew. It took only a few minutes of digging to learn who she was. To baseball purists, a scoreless game is a thing of beauty. To the average fan, it is boring. Those who watched the games on television like home runs and runners thrown out at the plate.

In order to keep the TV audience interested, the SportsNet South crew sent their roving reporter down to visit with the cute redhead sitting near the Dodgers' dugout.

Meredith was at first hesitant when a camera crew approached. Then she decided it wouldn't hurt anything for them to ask her a few questions. Still, she set a few ground rules: no personal questions (about her or about Brock) and no questions about Brock's contract or interactions with the Dodgers management. She told the guy that she wasn't his agent so she wouldn't comment on anything of that nature.

The guy didn't care. He just needed something to liven up a boring television broadcast. Just having the woman's face on TV would probably get a few people to stop from turning the channel.

It was the middle of the third inning when the crew sat down next to her.

"This is Mark Marconi with our 'Fan in the Stands' segment," the man announced. "We've got a treat today. I'm here with Meredith Van Landingham, girlfriend to Dodgers, well, I started to say he was their shortstop but that was last night. He's their left fielder today. So let's just call her the girlfriend of Dodgers star Brock Miller."

"I'm his fiancée," Meredith corrected, flashing her engagement ring to the camera.

"Oh, congratulations," the man said. "Playing in different leagues, yesterday was our first look at the Dodgers. They're an impressive team."

"They really are," Meredith said. "They've battled through injuries all season long. Every starter except Fred Hartman and Cesar Davis has missed at least 10 games due to injury. Our pitching staff has been ravaged since Spring Training. Still, they're leading a very tough division – just like Tampa is. I have to say, I'm equally as impressed with the Rays. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't a preview of the World Series."

"Your lips to God's ears," Mark replied. "So, what really brought you to our attention was your reaction yesterday to the first out of the ninth inning. Can you tell us about that?"

"I'm a little embarrassed," Meredith admitted. "I mean, Brock is my fiancé and I'm his biggest fan. I was really torn when he turned on Jenkins' curveball in the ninth. I thought when it left the bat that it was out of here. I stood like the rest of the fans to watch its flight. As the ball headed toward the wall, I realized I wanted it to be caught. I mean, this was history. Jenkins had pitched beautifully. The game was out of reach. It the score was still 2-0, I would have reacted differently. When the right fielder pulled it back over the wall, I was just as excited as everyone else in the building."

"For those of you who missed yesterday's game, Meredith's reaction was classic," Mark intoned as it was rebroadcast. "When Vasquez made the fantastic catch that sealed the perfect game, Meredith raised her arms in triumph. Then she realized where she was sitting and who her fiancé was. She gave a sheepish look toward the Dodgers' dugout but then she clapped along with everyone else. So, Meredith, how did Brock Miller react?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.