Masi'shen Evolution
Chapter 29: Peacemakers

Copyright© 2013 by Graybyrd

Ambassador Jon'a-ren and Michael sat facing Minister Keaton and another official they'd not previously met, Canadian Defense Minister Angus MacMillan. They were gathered in Prime Minister Keaton's office to hammer out a working agreement for joint Masi'shen and Canadian Forces familiarization and training exercises to test the new Ranger equipment and tactical methods.

"Minister MacMillan, we met some weeks ago with Minister Keaton to work out certain understandings and arrangements between your nation and our peoples," Jon'a-ren explained. "At that time we mentioned the concept of a special operations group under our command, that would operate as required to assist certain United Nations objectives. I recall referring to it as a force of peace rangers, consisting primarily of Native American and First Nations indigenous people."

"Ambassador, may we dispense with Minister this and Minister that? Call me Scott," Minister Keaton said, "and my good friend prefers to be called Angus."

"Thank you, Scott ... and Angus. As for the special operations group, I have deferred to Michael's wish that it be given a formal name: the Peacemakers, whose individual members will be referred to as Rangers. It may be that informally, they could be referred to as peace rangers, but that is not their official designation," Jon'a-ren explained.

"And you propose a joint familiarization and training exercise with one or more of our units," Angus asked?

"Yes. Our rangers will be equipped with prototype equipment of our own design, using Masi'shen technology. Considering that we'll be tasking our Corps to engage in covert operations of a very dangerous nature, we must assure ourselves that the equipment is dependable and suited to their needs. I'll let Michael explain further. Son?"

"Yes, that's correct, Angus. And I'd very much like you and your commanders to see our rangers in action. If all goes as I hope it will, they'll actually see nothing until the operation is over. After a short evaluation of the mission results, we'll assemble the rangers, their gear, and our transport craft for display. I think everyone will find that part of it quite instructive," Michael said.

"And its my understanding that none of this new technology is to be made available to us?" Angus grumbled.

"Angus, I explained that to you earlier," Scott interrupted. "We're burdened with certain realities here, both political and practical. Be patient, man! You'll have access to lots of new toys and techniques in time ... all in good time, man!"

"I understand perfectly, Angus," Michael laughed. "But as we've cautioned Scott, I have first-hand experience with the paranoid and jealous nature of certain leaders and agencies in the US. I think it's only prudent that you not be suspected of having access to superior alien technology. Their paranoia might lead to an irrational response, and we'd all regret that. If you have plausible deniability, and we are careful to be seen publicly only as an occasional United Nations resource, we're hopeful to avoid an unfortunate incident."

"And all of this is non-lethal in nature? And non-injurious as well?" Angus asked. He shook his head, still not believing that such things were possible in a covert para-military operations group going into dangerous areas.

"Correct. Hard for you to believe, I understand, but that is correct," Michael replied. "Actually, that is the purpose of our new equipment. The most destructive component of our applied technology is the EMP defensive devices, both ship-board and hand-held, to overload and disable electrical and electronic equipment. The results can be both devastating and costly to an opposing force.

"I should also explain that we train our people to be exceedingly careful not to disable any system where its failure would lead to catastrophic circumstances. For instance, we'll not knock out the control systems of an aircraft in flight, which would endanger the pilot, nor would we leave a ship disabled at the mercy of a storm or a grounding. Our intent is to immobilize the opposing force's ground movements and to disable their communications," Michael continued.

"We'll use no EMP during the exercises," Michael cautioned. "We'll signal the referee of our simulated use of certain methods, but we certainly don't want to destroy anything in a training exercise."

"Generous of you!" Angus retorted, smiling. "So what sort of mission would you like? And where do you want it to happen?"

"Oh," Michael grinned like a fox eying a plump rooster, "I was thinking of a simple Easter egg hunt."


"We're bringing back the men. Each is piloting a shuttle that has been provided for our task group. Each pilot is carrying his family back to Earth. We've decided that Penticton, Canada, will be our base of operations. The families will take up residence there, while their husbands serve with us. Everyone seems very positive about the idea."

"Very good, Michael," Jon'a-ren responded. "I've cleared everything with the Canadian ministry and the appropriate officials. They seem quite eager to view the demonstrations you've arranged. I've told them to expect the first exercises in six week's time from now. Apparently there will be quite a gathering of their highest-ranking military officials there to view the demonstration. Again, I must ask, Michael. Are you sure that this is what you want?" Jon'a-ren asked.

"Absolutely, father. We're asking a lot of our hosts, and I want them to be both confident and comfortable with our capabilities. There is one thing I'd suggest, however, concerning their military observers."

"What is that?"

"Try to speak privately with their defense minister, if you can. Suggest that I would be far more comfortable if there were more of their field-grade and non-commissioned officers there, and an absolute minimum of high-level brass? I need their best people, those with actual combat and field experience. Their high-ranking REMF's will only confuse and obstruct the mission, I'm afraid."

"Please explain that term, Michael?" Jon'a-ren asked.

"Forgive me ... I forgot myself. It is a crude infantry soldier expression for those officers and their staff who find some way to remain far behind the lines of battle. It is an acronym. The letters stand for rear echelon mother- and I think we'll just forget that last word. Can you put my request to the minister, father-mine?"

Michael waited through a long moment of communications silence, before Jon'a-ren came online, red-faced, choking and gasping from uncontrolled laughter.

"Never mind the last word, son. Your wife has encountered the term in her research, and she's just told us the words and what the expression means. Your mother is still quite beside herself with laughter. Dee'rah has taken her from the room to get herself under control. And, yes, quite assuredly, I will pass your request to the minister and add my own emphasis as well. We want their best-experienced men and women to see your exercises and to participate on both teams, opposing and defending, as appropriate.

"Be confident, Michael-mine. We will have very few REMF's involved in your demonstrations. This is far too important to involve any shzu'fsheks!"

"Father?"

"Never mind, son. It's one of our words that is too obscene to explain."


Two Canadian soldiers stood guard in the night on either side of an entrance into a heavily-reinforced concrete bunker set in a shallow depression on the rocky backbone of an islet, just off Vancouver Island's eastern shore. Set in a reef-like string, the islet was one of several large and small islands comprising a Canadian maritime defense outpost.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.