Sheriff Porter - Cover

Sheriff Porter

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

Chapter 110

"There is one more thing we need to discuss before the police get two deep into their investigation," I said into the phone. "I just want you to stop and give some thought to where this thing might lead. Now that the cops are involved, you need to consider all the possibilities."

"What the hell are you talking about?" he asked. His temper seemed to be getting the best of him. Not the best time to let it show, I thought.

"I have no proof of anything the Sheriff's department is doing the investigating now. What I have is not really even a suspicion. However I wouldn't feel right, if I didn't warn you that there is a possibility your ex-wife could be involved. If she is involved, then she might have to go to jail. I am mentioning this, so that you can be guessing what her motives might have been. You will also want to think about what to do with the kids, if that happens. Is your wife a good mother?"

"Yes, she is a very good mother according to the kids," Nate said.

"I just wanted you to think about what might happen if your ex is locked up. You know how the old saying goes forewarned is forearmed," I suggested.

"Do you think she was involved?" he asked showing his temper again.

"Like I said there is no evidence of it at this time, but when those guys start talking, there is no telling who they will implicate," I said. "It is just a possibility, nothing more at this point."

"I'll deal with it, when and if it becomes an issue," he said.

"I expect your present wife won't mind, if your kids from the previous marriage come live with you. Personally I think it would be asking a lot, but then that's not my call to make."

"I think you have done your job, and we are finished," Nate said then hung up.

"Somehow I feel he wasn't happy to get your opinion," Wilson said.

"He certainly didn't seem to be. So what other things need our attention?" I asked. Wilson was much better at keeping our calendar than I could ever be.

"The Railroad Hotel owner still hasn't given us an answer. The time is about to run out," Wilson said. "So do you want to do anything about it?"

"Well, I'm not going to call them, so let's go visit the agent who has my check," I suggested. "We might want to leave his house with it in our pocket."

"I think we need to go to the barge for a quick shower," Wilson said. "We have been out running up and down the road since last night. Frankly we both stink."

"Okay, but I get to use the shower in the office," I said. The shower in the conventional stick build built unit was much better. Better because it seemed to have an endless supply of hot water. That was why I had the shower installed in the office in the first place.

Whenever I used that shower, I always washed my hair five times or more. My hair was always thin and limp like fine sewing thread, but it was even worse after one of those showers. The only upside was that I knew it was squeaky clean. not greasy.

After my shower I walked across to the barge wearing only a short terry cloth robe. When I say only the robe, I mean there was absolutely nothing else covering my body. I felt a bit slutty, but I also knew that no one had any idea, so I was okay with it. Well, I really didn't care if they knew, just so they didn't do anything stupid.

I found that I had a 'missed call' alert flashing on the screen of my cell phone. I did one of those return the call things by having it dial that same number. I recognized the voice that asked, "Hello the number you have reached is 339 6331. I recognized the voice as that of the phone operator of Swamp Dog.

"Sylvia Porter here, you rang?" I asked.

"Can you be here in two hours?" the female voice asked. "It's urgent."

"I can be there in 90 minutes," I said hanging up on her.

"Wilson," I shouted. "Something is wrong at the Swamp. You will have to get along without me for a while I expect. I have to leave right this minute," I explained as I pulled on my pants and a red tee shirt with gold letters.

"I threw some things into the half duffel and moved out. During the whole hour and twenty minutes of the drive. I ran the possibilities through my mind. By the time I got to the long driveway leading to the compound, I was pretty sure that it was a rescue mission. Most likely it would be halfway around the world.

I got our of my car, then I took a good look around the parking lot. There were several of the black SUVs parked in the lot. If they called me as soon as the others then they were the compound employee's cars. It they were bringing in a contingency from the church camp they wouldn't have had time to arrive.

I went into the dinning room as much for the coffee, as I did for the assessing of the mission. I assumed it was a big deal, since I had said no more. That is why I assumed it was a rescue.

The coffee was exactly like I made it at home, since I had introduced them to the mixture of coffees. I poured myself a cup and sat facing the door. There were two people in the dining room, who I had never seen before. I didn't speak and neither did they. They looked solemn, so I knew whatever it was had to be bad.

"Sylvia," Martin said. I promised I wouldn't call you, but if you heard from someone else, I expect you would want to kill me. You do not have to go along on this."

"Martin stop the BS and tell me what this is all about please," I replied.

"Right, we had a team down there to intercept a big drug shipment and turn it over to the DEA. It went south and our team got bloodied. These bad guys are holding them hostage and we don't know their status. If you are willing, I would like to have you negotiate for them. You do know we don't have to play by the rules."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.