Sheriff Porter - Cover

Sheriff Porter

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

Chapter 79

It was hard for me not to slap hell out of Brian. Even harder not to at least tell him I was onto him. Either course of action and he was likely to start covering his tracks and I wasn't sure we were ready for that.

I knew Wilson was busy running Brian's contacts from the phone. I wasn't expecting too much, but it would be one more piece of the puzzle. When I got back to the truck the clone had only been activated two minutes. Nonetheless Wilson was just as busy as I had expected.

"Believe it or not his last call was to the B&B. I don't know who he spoke to, but my guess would be Christine," Wilson said.

"Mine to, but check the bar film, when we get home. Just to make sure there isn't a big bald man having a drink in the bar," I suggested.

"Yes of course," he said.

"I'm downloading his contract list as well. I want to run background checks on everyone on his phone," he said.

"I expected no less of you," I suggested. It was a long ten minutes back to the barge. Wilson immediately disappeared into the office to play with his room full of toys.

While Wilson worked on the phone, I took a shower. As had been the case with the first box house in the mountains, the water ran tepid after five minutes. Knowing that I did my body washing first, then I washed my hair in cooler water. I never actually went cold, but it wasn't pleasant to stand under tepid water to soak. I was giving serious thought to putting a shower in the office. One with an old fashioned how water heater.

It wasn't like the office didn't have a bathroom of sorts. It had a toilet and janitor's sink from when it was a bait shop. We had just cleaned it up for Wilson to use when he worked. I thought about it a minute, then decided what the fuck it was just money.

After I dressed in my jeans and red sweat shirt with the chopped of sleeves, I called EZ. When he answered I said, "EZ I'm calling in one of those hundred favors you owe me."

"Well hello to you to Sylvia. I'm doing just fine thanks for asking though," he said with a laugh.

"Okay, tell me all that shit, then tell me who to call to get a shower installed in the office," I demanded.

"I'll call him to come by to give you an estimate. He only has a cell phone and would probably not answer. He doesn't know you," EZ said.

"Have him call first," I said. "Meanwhile I'll pick out the one I want online."

"You need to work that out with him. I'll just have him call," EZ said.

"Fair enough, how is the repo business?" I asked.

"Lots of work but most of it is out of town. We are working a two county area. Between that and my trouble tenant business, I am keeping busy," EZ said.

"Good," I said.

After all that it was 6PM. Time to check on Wilson, I thought. I walked onto the pier and into the office. I had a flash of insight as I often do. Most times I ignore it, but that day I didn't. I dialed EZ again.

"My god how lucky I am to be hearing from you twice in one day." he said.

"I am in the car though so what can I do for you." he asked.

"I just flashed on how much shit I have in this building. Can you send me someone to install a better door and locks on the windows?" I asked.

"Oscar isn't really a plumber, he is a handyman. He is honest though, and he stands behind his work. Plumbers don't, if they have to come back to fix their fuck up, they charge you a service call. That's why I use him," EZ explained.

"Right have him call then," I said.

"Okay now Wilson, how are we doing?" I asked, when I entered the office.

"So far about half a dozen girls, who probably won't go out with him. Crissy is one of them of course," he said.

"Is that what you are calling the daughter at the B&B now?" I asked.

"Yes it is so much easier that way. It what her girlfriends call her," Wilson said.

"That's a good thing to know. If someone by that name comes up, I will at least know who they are talking about," I said. Just then the phone rang.

"Miss Porter?" the heavily accented voice asked, after I finished my opening speech.

"That's right. How can I help you?" asked.

"My name is Hugo Price. We have a mutual friend," he said.

"So I'm told. What can I do for you?" I asked again.

"I have a very important shipment coming into a small port near you. I wish to move a package of about one meter by half a meter. I am told you can make it happen without incident." he said.

"That depends on how much security you need, and what is in the package?" I made it a question.

"There is nothing illegal in the package. I prefer not to discuss this further on the telephone," he said.

"Than I am sorry, but without a full threat assessment, I'm not going to be able to help you," I said.

"Very well thank you for taking my call," he said. He thought that he was calling my bluff, but what he didn't know is I wasn't bluffing. If I didn't have the money in the bank, I might have risked going in blind. As it was, I really wasn't willing to take the chance that there would be ten men pulling up in a couple of crew cars. They could easily take the package away from me and take my life as well.

I turned my attention back to Wilson. "So Willie old boy what next," I asked.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.