Sheriff Porter - Cover

Sheriff Porter

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

Chapter 71

I got the deal with the wrecker set up. I also had it handled so that I would be notified, if EZ missed a payment on the lease. It was everything I had promised him and nothing more. It still needed to be purchased, but I had managed a pro to go out to inspect it.

While that deal was stewing, I went to work on the land for my air strip. I really didn't have much of a desire to negotiate. My main interest was that it be close and suitable for the take off and landing of ultralight aircraft. I mostly wanted information at that moment.

Since it was almost three, I had to leave the wrecker and the airstrip till another day. I drove the candy cane red pick up to the headquarters of the Jefferson Island Security Force. I saw two men come out, then get into the patrol car which pulled in front of the office. Two men got out at the same time. That was not good for me.

Lamont had to be the black officer. I know it was stereotyping, but there is a reason a stereotype is a stereotype. I didn't have to be politically correct. I just had to figure a way to separate the two of them. It would have to be just to make contact. The real pitch would have to wait.

"Wilson, he is riding with a partner. I need to wait till these two are separated. If I follow along behind, they will make me for sure. Sooner or later they are going to stop for dinner or to check a building and I can get him alone.

"Do you have that scanner," he asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"Get it and do just what I say," he demanded.

"Okay, I have it," I said. I made it clear I didn't approve of his attitude with the sigh.

"Are you where you can see the screen well?" he asked.

"Yes what do you want me to do?" I asked shortly.

"Hold on I have the directions. Push the button marked menu," he said.

I did it then said, "Okay." I followed his steps till I got a note on screen that read push F1 to acquire. "It says just what you said it would, now what?"

"Now you pull up behind them and push F1. Then you transmit the code to me." Wilson said.

Fortunately it was a small island and they were easy to find. They stayed on the main drag. Five minutes later I said, "It's on the way Wilson."

"Good now find a spot in the center of the island and wait," he suggested.

"They just turned to engine off at the Pier." Wilson said.

"Now how did you do that?" I asked.

Gps against a map of the island with coordinates. Really, the things you can do with computers these days, if you have no shame," he suggested.

"And of course you have no shame," I said. "I'm on the move."

"None whatsoever. Be careful they may just be looking around." He suggested.

I found them leaning against the rail drinking coffee. I slipped a note to Lamont. "Call me honey. I just love a man in uniform." I said that as I walked away.

The note gave my phone number and the promise that he wouldn't be sorry. I planned to make it worth his while to tell me the truth about the incident from the year before.

"Wilson tell me something. Why didn't you come up with his partner's name from that report."

"Because there was no partner mentioned. I don't know how they write the reports here, but it gave only Lamont's name," Wilson said.

"Right I'm going to have to talk to him to find out what's going on," I said. I had to keep reminding myself to have patience. I had to give him time to answer the note.

"So what you want lady," the black man asked on the phone. "I know who you are."

"I should hope so. I didn't try to hide it. I drove my own car for gods sake. I knew you followed me off the pier and wrote the plate down." That was total bullshit, but I figured it was the only way he could know who I was."

"So Sheriff Porter what you want so far from home." he asked.

"I want ten minutes of your time. I will buy you a cup of coffee when your shift is over." I suggested.

"Make it a beer and you got a deal," he said. "Somewhere nice and loud so recordings and bugs are useless."

"I couldn't agree more," I said. "Name it."

"The 'Blue Note' after shift. I should be there by 11:30. he said.

"I'll wait in the parking lot for you. Just in case you have to work over," I said.

"Nothing ever happens here, but sure wait in the parking lot. So you know where it is?" he asked.

"No, but I expect I can find it," I suggested.

"It's out on the waterway about two miles from town. The road leading up there is called Williams Dairy Road. You find Williams Dairy Rd and you can miss it." he said.

There was a cool wind blowing. I almost decided to wear my .22mag revolver. In the end I decided to just trust the derringer. It was a hard decision to make because I had no idea what kind of place this 'Blue Note was'. I could be walking into some kind of trap, since he knew who I was. I made damn sure Wilson knew where I was headed and who I was going to be with. Then I just had to trust my luck.

He knew the type truck I drove, so he found me in the parking lot right on time. He slid into the front seat beside me. Like any old cop knew, the bulb had been removed from my interior light. There was just enough light for me to recognize him. He still looked different without the uniform but recognizable.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.