Sheriff Porter
Chapter 41

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

When my cell phone played it's stupid ring tone, it was 10AM and we were about two hours into the drive. I saw that it was Rita, my lawyer, and almost didn't answer. Finally I said, "Yes Rita, who is suing me now?"

"I have good news for a change. Actually it is great news. Its the last hoop to jump through. You have to decide. if you will take five million now and one million a year for ten years or if you insist and the whole fifteen million at once. They are ready to write the check or buy the annuity this week. You will be a millionaire by Friday either way," she informed me.

"Take the annuity. I plan to live ten more years. It will save a ton on taxes." I said. "Now Rita I'm kind of busy. Do you need me for anything else?"

"No, I'll call you when the money is in the bank, and I have the annuity in my hand," she said.

"Fair enough," I said clicking the phone off.

"Good news?" Liam asked.

"Not really just news," I said. "Hey Oz, it looks like you will be getting paid after all."

"Cool, so I won't have to move in with you to eat after all?" she asked.

"Don't seem so," I replied.

We were in the parking lot of the Hilton Courtyard Suites before 2PM. I dialed their number on my cell phone. "Hi this is Lois Lane at the National Car Rental Agency. We are calling to see what time Mr. Janus is planning to stop by. He is in room 306 I think, but there is no answer." I said.

"Mr Janus checked out sometime this morning." she said.

"Oh my I do hope nothing has happened to him. He should have been there by before noon to pick up his new car," I said.

"I'm sure he is well. I spoke to him as he had the continental breakfast this morning," she said.

"Well, I'll just hold the car a little longer and thank you so much," I said.

"Geek raid that car rental. See if he has returned it," I said.

"Why," he asked.

"How about just because I said to do it," I said shortly. "Call me back when you know something about his use of that card."

"Osborn do you know why I want to know, if he returned the car," I asked.

"No," she said honestly.

"If he returned it, there is a chance he wants to use that ID again. If he left it in this parking lot. There is not a chance he will ever be Janus again." I said.

"So Liam, lets cruise the lot," I said.

We checked it all and it was nowhere to be found. "That's a good sign Liam?" asked.

"20% a good sign. It might still be parked across the street from another car rental office. But even that is a help, these guys think where they leave the car it is of no longer of any importance, since they aren't going to use it. So much can be deduced from where they leave the car."

The phone played that cheesy ring tone again. "I am going to have that changed," I said "Yes my geeky friend."

"He used the card again bought a ticket on the am-track to New Orleans," the geek explained. Keep an eye on that card my friend, but also anything on the new bank accounts it is linked with. He has a substantial amount of money in it. He may continue to use it or he may switch to another one to allow it cool off."

"Can do boss," the geek said.

I handed the phone to Osborn. "Change that fucking ring tone and then find out where the am-track stops between Atlanta and New Orleans," I said.

"He bought a through ticket, but you think he is going to get off somewhere in between?" Osborn asked.

"I would, wouldn't you?" I asked.

"I would never think of it," she said.

"For someone like him, it isn't all about running. It just as much about laying the false trail." I thought a moment then said, "Crap don't bother to check that. He never got on that train. He ditched the ID and left us following a false lead. Use my phone and call the Geek. Have him find where Janus bought the ticket."

A couple of minutes later Melissa Osborn said, "He bought it with that credit card over the Internet."

"He has given us the slip. He has another ID for the next town," I said. "Check the trains but he isn't going to be on it."

I thought a minute then said, "The car is still clean, he thinks. No one has made a fuss anywhere, but then neither his accomplice nor his wife has contacted him. He probably had a dead man plan for one or both of them." I said more to myself than anyone else.

"Dead man plan," Osborn asked.

"If a certain thing doesn't happen, then assume I'm blown," Liam explained.

"He is trying to decide what he has to do next. He originally thought his accomplice would hold out at least a day or more. He couldn't know how far I would go in questioning him. So he might still thing the ID is good. He will assume we have moved on from the car, even if we have the new name."

"If it's me, I switch to new card and keep the car," Liam said. "Even if you are onto me, I have laid the false trail. But I need cash. I hit the ATM one last time Before I leave town."

"We could be within a few miles of him," the Israeli Chic said.

"More likely he will hit it on a convenience store by a major highway. Oz call the geek again." I said handing her the phone. "My guess he is headed to Florida. Somewhere near the keys. He is going to buy a boat, so he can make a quick exit. Assuming we manage to find him." I was just bouncing shit off the walls.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.