Sheriff Porter - Cover

Sheriff Porter

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

Chapter 29

"Mrs. Novak, I have some very bad news for you. We found Tommy. It appears now that he had an accident in the woods. I'm so sorry but Tommy died in the woods. I don't know if this is any comfort at all, but I'm very sorry for you loss."

She broke into wails of high pitched screams. It was a terrifying sound. I finally took hold her to try to calm her down. I let her cry it out. I knew I should let her grieve before I questioned her, but she would have to be one less vote I received next election.

"Mrs Novak the medical examiner tells me Tommy had been dead for several hours before you called for help. Could you explain please?" I asked.

"I found him gone when I woke up at nine this morning," she explained. "I thought he had gone out to play."

"Do you usually sleep so late on a Sunday morning?" I asked.

"Yes, I sleep late on Sunday morning. It's the only day I have to sleep in. I work two jobs six days a week. So I sleep late on Sunday morning," She said.

"Mrs. Novak does your son often go into the woods before you wake up on Sunday Morning.? Like 6AM?" I asked.

"I don't think so. He is usually playing in the yard with that dog of his," she said.

"The dog stayed with Tommy till we got to him. The dog handler has the dog in his truck. I'm sure you want him back." I said. "We will return him when you are ready." I said.

"Take that fucking dog to the pound. He must have woke Tommy up, and then ran off into the woods. Tommy would have followed him," she said.

"That might have happened or Tommy might have tried to get away from the house because something inside freighted him. Look I'm not a mother, but I am a woman. I know how things work. Do you and have a boy friend?" I asked.

"Yes and he was over last night, if that's your next question." She said. "But he didn't do anything to Tommy."

"Did he spend the night?" I asked.

"Yes, but like I said, he didn't do anything to Tommy," she said.

"Why did he leave before you called us?" I asked.

"He left before I discovered Tommy was gone." she said.

"I need his name and address," I said. I wrote it down when she told me. "One more thing did you two have a loud argument last night?" Not even I knew where that came from. It was just one of many possibilities. It would explain the dog waking up and the boy running away.

"Yes, but it had nothing to do with Tommy," she said.

"Well, we will check this out, but it looks like an accident at the moment. We will check back with you. What do you want me to do with the dog?" I asked again.

"Shoot him for all I care, but I won't have him back in this house," Melvin had been standing very quiet during the whole interview. So he was my witness to it all.

"So what do you think Sheriff?" Melvin asked.

"Do I think she should have checked on her son last night? yes. Do I think she is a lousy mother, I can't judge I've never been a mother. Did she do anything criminal? Probably not.

We can meet with the DA when we get back. Maybe he can think of something. In the meantime I have to do something with a four legged hero," I said.

"You gonna take her mutt," Melvin asked.

"Looks like it," I said. "Where is the dog man."

"He went home I think. I can call and see," Melvin said.

"Do that, I'm not about to let them put that dog down. He followed that kid and tried to keep him safe. When he couldn't, he still protected him. You see the dog's fur?" I asked.

"No, I didn't noticed anything," Melvin said.

"It was matted. He hasn't been well taken care of and he has some blood. He took some cuts last night looking after that kid. When, I can't say but he did. He is not going to the shelter and he is not going to be put down. You heard the mother give the dog to me didn't you?" I asked.

"I surely did Sheriff," Melvin said.

"Good for you Melvin," I said. "Now dial the dog man and let me talk to him."

"Hello," Melvin said when the dog man answered the phone.

"Do me a favor will you. Take the dog to the vet have him examined get any thing he needs done and tell the vet I'm going to stand good for his bill."

"I'm glad to hear it Sheriff. That dog deserves better than he is used to," he said.

"Yeah, just do it and don't tell anyone. This is just between you, me, and Melvin," I said.

"You got it," the dog man said.

I got stopped by and talked to the ADA and still got home before dark. I was too tired to eat, so I took out the bottle labeled Popov vodka. I had an ounce mixed with diet Mountain Dew. It was all I had in the house. I realized I hadn't eaten since breakfast, but I still was too tired to even order a pizza.

I masturbated to the memory of Wendy Roberts, then I fell asleep on the sofa. I slept till the box house got cold about 3AM. I moved to the bed and finished out the night.

It was 6AM Monday, when I started moving again. I pulled out the new trike and rode it down the drive and out the gate. I rode it all the way to the plaza it was a chore. I stopped and ate breakfast then rode it back home. I managed to get it home very easily since most of that was down hill. The distance to the Plaza was about the same as it the gym. I figured I could ride the trike to the gym workout then ride it home. It would be a real workout but it should be about equal to the run I did everyday.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.