Walkabout - Cover

Walkabout

Copyright© 2013 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 15

Work was underway constructing the new extension, prior to handing the brief to the architect, we involved the men in a brain storming exercise, what do we need, how should we set the place out, things to make the work flow easy and with less stress on the men. I posted the outline on the noticeboard and invited the men to add anything they thought of after the meeting.

"Remember the only silly ideas are the good ones we neglect to mention. This is going to be the place you spend most of your waking hours, so let's make it as pleasant a place to work in as possible."

Andy took to the job like a duck to water, Tom informed me that it wouldn't be too long before he would be retiring. "He's a good lad Tony, knows his way around a workshop, has a good rapport with the men and yet he won't take shit from them either. You sure trained him well at your last place. I reckon another month will see it mate, I must say Annie and I are getting excited a out our trip."

Tom and Annie had bought a small motor home and, for a start, planned on short trips as 'shakedown' cruises in readiness for the big one. We had often talked of my now cancelled odyssey and he'd picked my brains for ideas.

Tom's day finally arrived and we decided on a barbeque at our house. Everyone was invited and again we hired a bus so as those who wanted a drink could do so safely. Because it was a family affair, the kids pestered us for a return of the ponies. Tess and Donna had taken up a collection for a retirement present, and in consultation with Annie they purchase items for the motor home. Ray and Jane presented him with a gold watch and a cheque for a considerable amount for the help he had given them in their time of need.

...

Work continued to pour in and soon the new extension was helping to ease the congestion. Andy was now in full control and had the full support of the men, his main quality as far as they were concerned was that he listened. I was looking at a job one day when the lad working on it made a suggestion.

"Tony, when we were planning the extension we had a 'brain storming' session, the boys appreciated you giving us a chance to input our ideas. What do you think of the idea of having regular sessions, say once a month?" He paused "Quite often we see things that can be improved on or perhaps an opportunity to take on different work."

"I think that's a great idea Peter, put the word around and we'll have a meeting, say next Friday before the barby, that'll give everyone some time to formulate their ideas and we can still natter on at the barby. Good one mate."

There was considerable enthusiasm at the idea and so we continue with the concept right up to the present day, with several time and money saving ideas coming forth.

...

Three AM, the phone dragged us out of a deep sleep, Donna answered it grumbling "Who was the idiot ringing at this ungodly hour."

"Hello, Watson residence..."

"Jane? ... slow down Jane..."

"Ray! Oh no, where are you?"

"We'll be there straight away Jane, just hang in there love."

"Tony, Ray's had another stroke, a bad one this time. They don't hold much hope for him, I told Jane we'd be there straight away."

As always in these situations, time seemed to drag, when in effect it was only a fifteen minute drive to the hospital. We met up with Jane outside the ICU, she shook her head.

"He passed away just after I called you Donna, he never regained consciousness. He appeared to be doing so well and now this, I suppose I'm lucky I've had him this long after his first attack, just wish it had been longer."

Jane appeared to be handling it well, but usually reality sets in later. Donna decided to take her home and stay with her, at least until after the funeral. She gave me a list to give to Tess, I offered to take care of the final arrangements; as it turned out, Ray had already settled a pre arranged funeral plan so it was just a matter of providing the death certificate and deciding on a date.

There is no such thing as a 'good' funeral, thus said Ray's was as good as can be, the weather held out and there was a huge attendance, testament to his reputation as a man of character. Ray had asked for a simple service, he wasn't a religious person and didn't feel comfortable with a church service so it was a graveside ceremony with the reception at his home.

Donna and Tess stayed with Jane throughout the service and escorted her back to the house, the girls stayed with me. We were a bit delayed as I tied up the loose ends before going back. When I arrived I found Jane in a heated conversation with a beefy looking man, I approached them intending to defuse the situation.

"Is everything OK Jane."

"Butt out, this is private." Snarled beefy.

"Graham seems to think I'm going to let him take over the running of the workshop Tony, I've assured him that will not happen."

"I can assure you the same thing Graham, I'm the manager and it just won't happen. I'm disgusted to think you would raise such a matter at a time like this."

"Listen manager man, my father lent the Hartley's the money to start the business..."

"And it was paid back in full Graham."

"I think you should leave now mate, if you think you have some sort of a claim, take it up with our lawyer." He made like he was thinking of taking a punch when Andy tapped him on the shoulder.

"Don't even think about it chum, Tony mightn't want to make a fuss, but I won't hesitate to drop you. Think it's time to move your arse sonny."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.