Susan - Cover

Susan

Copyright© 2013 by Wes Boyd

Chapter 15

"You mean that bastard wound up in Spearfish Lake?" Henry said incredulously a few moments later. "How the hell could someone up there been that stupid?"

"That's what we're trying to find out," Mike told him. "You know that I've said for years, 'Never automatically blame something on treachery when it can be accounted for by simple incompetence.' Well, I'm not so sure I'm right on that in this case."

"You're saying you think that someone pulled a fast one," Henry charged flatly.

"It sure looks that way," Mike sighed. "I'm just not sure who yet, or how many fast ones are involved, but there's definitely something funny going on somewhere. I was pissed off enough at this guy over the shit he pulled on Susan, but this looks like a drop in the bucket."

"Wait a minute! What do you mean, shit he pulled on Susan?"

"It's a long story," Mike said, and proceeded to give Henry a capsule summary of what had happened over the last few days. "So, for practical purposes, your sister is a high school dropout," he wound up, "and started college yesterday."

"That's not the way I wanted to do it," Susan added. "But I kept up my end of the deal and the school welshed on theirs, so it was the only logical thing to do."

"Count on you to keep life interesting," Henry sighed. "So, what's the next step?"

"We have to go with it," Mike said firmly. "And we have to go with it soon, before he can cause any more damage or get his hand too deep in the money till. But that means that we're going to need a lot more information, and despite the fact that we found this on the Internet that's not really enough to go with. You're in a much better position to track down local information than we are. We need chapter and verse on the legal issues down there."

"Shouldn't be too hard to get," Henry said. "We've done several stories on the situation, I know that, and the Democrat has done more on them. I should be able to round up the printed material pretty easily."

"I've got a feeling we can do a lot of that online," Mike replied. "But I heard you say that there's more there than meets the eye."

"Well, I get the impression that there's more than meets the eye, but that's not the same thing. You taught me that long ago. I can talk to the guy here at the station who's been covering it; he probably knows more than he's put on air. And, something like this, where I'd be helping research for an out-of-town paper, it's not impossible that whoever it is at the Democrat might be willing to tell me more. For that matter, it's not very far out to Byzantium. I could probably run out and talk to someone out there."

"Do they have a local paper?"

"Not that I've ever heard of," Henry replied. "Byzantium is pretty much a suburb, the Democrat mostly covers the area, and they do a pretty good job. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to help you out on this, but I'm going to have to do it on my own time since it's not on my beat and people get pretty stuffy about poaching around here. They're still not letting me do much but Restaurant Report Card and penny-ante stuff like that, but since this is a family deal I can probably get around it. I might even be able to score some points with management out of the deal."

"Well, do what you can, but it sure would be nice if we could run this next week. But this could get into libel country, so I want everything documented beyond the possibility of mistake. This is going to be touchy stuff, and I could see how it could turn into a lot worse mess than it already is."

"I'll do my best with it, but you have to understand that it could wind up taking me a few days. On the other hand, a lot of stuff you want is already public record down here, so it might not be too bad."

"Sounds like a winner," Mike told him. "About all I can say is keep in touch."

"Yeah, I'll keep you posted, and fax or e-mail you copies of what I get. It'll be nice to be able to do a little real digging again instead of just reading the Department of Health reports."

"We all have to start somewhere," Mike told him. "You're just paying your dues."

"I know, but still," Henry sighed. "So, Susan, how are you getting along in college?"

"Pretty well so far, but I'm just getting started, day one is all, so it's too early to make any kind of judgment. It would have been hard to go back to high school here after Germany, anyway, so in a way I'm sort of glad that this worked out the way it did."

They talked for a couple minutes before ending the call. "Well," Mike said after the phone was back on the hook, "it looks like you did the smart thing by cleaning out Lindeman's desk. That was something else I should have thought of but just didn't because I was too busy trying to get everything else done."

"There's only so much you can do."

"Yeah, but still, and if we'd missed this we'd have come out of it looking pretty stupid. We're not exactly covering ourselves with glory in taking this long to find out. Now, several things. First, we keep quiet about this. Right at the moment I don't think we want to spook Gingrich by letting him know we're onto him. Let's just keep this in the family for now, you, me, your mother, and Henry."

"That seems obvious to me," she replied.

"We may not be able to keep a lid on it all the way till we go to press, but we ought to try. Next, I want you to dig all that crap of Lindeman's out of the wastebasket and go through it a lot more seriously. There may be pay dirt somewhere else in all those school board packets. Anything that strikes you as vaguely interesting, bring to me."

"I was going to do that, anyway. I just hadn't gotten to it yet."

"Get started on it," he smiled. "And then I want you on the Internet and do your best to get background on this deal in Byzantium, just for a second look, but look around some of those other things on his resumé. There could be something somewhere else, and if there is we don't want to miss it."

"We're going to run with it this time?" she asked.

"Dern tootin' we are," he nodded, a firm expression on his face. "We didn't do anything about the shit he pulled on you because that was family stuff. Maybe we should have, but that's just a little too close to home. But he got his pass on that one, and this time, unless something really gross and disgusting comes up, we're not going to give him a second chance."

It turned out to be a long afternoon, but an interesting one. They didn't turn up anything in particular among the old board packets, not surprising – sometimes what was being said in the packets was technical and rather cryptic, and it would have taken an accountant to discover if anything suspicious was going on in the financial reports. As far as that went, Mike suspected that if Gingrich was doing something with the financials, which seemed likely, there hadn't been time for it to show up yet.

The Internet search was more rewarding – at least all the schools on Gingrich's resumé proved to actually exist although finding anything to indicate that he'd actually been there at the time stated was next to impossible. But there were plenty of recent media stories about the situation in Byzantium, and they went back a ways, although the misappropriation of funds story had only started to crop up about three months before. There were, however, vague reports of something else going on, and a mention of an out-of-court settlement following charges by one student's parents. What the charges actually involved was not specified in the story, although they could figure out that the charges were against Gingrich. "I sure wish to hell I knew what that was all about," Mike said as he read the disgustingly obscure and short story for the third time.

"Maybe Henry will find out," Susan replied hopefully.

"I sure hope so," Mike shook his head. "But just looking at the sequence of events, it looks to me like this happened before the embezzlement thing came up. Maybe it got the local board down there to look a little more seriously at the guy. It's clear that the shit hit the fan down there before he applied for the job here, so he had to be already on the run. The thing that still mystifies me is how all of this could get past the most half-assed background investigation."

"If there really was an investigation," Susan pointed out. "Or, maybe Aho wanted to cover it up."

"That's what I'm suspecting," her father said. "But there's no way of proving it without dropping the hammer on this joker first."

Finally the day wound down. "We're just chasing our tails on this now," Mike summed up. "We could probably write a story with what we have, but in this kind of thing you want to make sure the reader has enough information to realize that the charges are solid. Since we've got a little time, I think we'd better see if Henry can turn up more than we have now. We've still got a couple weeks until the school board meeting, so we might as well make sure we get it right."

Susan's father and mother rode home together, as Susan trailed behind in the Cavalier. She was a little behind them getting into the house, and was just walking in the door when she heard, "Yes, she just walked in."

Oh, boy, Susan thought. It's probably Megan and she'll want to gossip. I'll have to be even more careful that I don't say anything about Gingrich after what we found out today. Still, there was no avoiding it, so she took the phone and said, "Hello."

"Susan!" she heard Mrs. Clark's voice. "The word around school today is that you dropped out so you could go to college. I can hardly believe it!"

"Essentially, it's true," Susan replied, figuring Megan must have run her mouth all over school, and the word had spread from the kids to the teachers. "I'm still technically a student at Spearfish Lake, but only under dual enrollment. I'm taking a full load of courses at Riverside."

"Well, I suppose if that's what you want to do," Mrs. Clark said. "But what brought this on?"

Susan reminded herself again to not say anything about Gingrich, then replied, "When I got to looking at the courses available here, there wasn't anything that really interested me or challenged me after my year in Germany, so I decided it probably would be best to do something else. The dual enrollment deal seemed like the best way to do it."

"This is really a surprise, but the best of luck to you. I hope everything will work out for you. Drop by and see me sometime. Myleigh said she'd talked to you a couple weeks ago and that you'd had quite the adventure."

"It was really pretty good," Susan replied, the little college professor with the big words coming to mind. Where she was going to go to college in another year was still an issue, but Weatherford was on the list; it could be interesting to talk to her about that. "But I think I can say that it changed me in some ways I didn't expect, and that the results are working out for me. I wouldn't mind talking to Dr. Hartwell-Harris sometime. I've got some things I'd like to talk to her about."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.