Lady in Red, Book 1 (The Rise of the Queen)
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2013 by Harddaysknight

"Gwen, I have to admit I had some serious doubts about Kate's evaluation of your boyfriend, but I've got to tell you, he's the real deal. Maybe you didn't notice, but I hugged him while you were in your trance. I didn't want to do it, but I had to make the arrangements for your date and you sure weren't helping. Boys do like girls that don't talk too much, but take my advice and speak to him once in a while, okay?" chuckled Lisa. "So anyway, when I hugged him, it was like wrapping my arms around a piece of steel and squeezing, except way better! He's tall, dark, very handsome and what a body!"

"I can't wait for the dance tomorrow night," added Kate. "I just want to see the faces of everyone when they see my sister with the best looking guy in the place. Maybe he'll dance with me a few times. You won't mind, will you, Gwen?"

"Please don't get all carried away, Lisa and Kate. Steve was nice to me today. I admit that it made me feel pretty darn good. But he isn't my boyfriend. You saw how those girls looked at him. What are my chances of keeping him interested for more than a week or two? I never had a boyfriend, let alone one like Steve. I'm not good at playing games, and using sex to keep him isn't even on the table. I'm not going to take a chance on ruining my reputation, or my future over some boy," insisted Gwen.

"Gwen, sex should never be used to control a partner, so I can't argue with that attitude. But it doesn't have to ruin your reputation, or your life, if you're mature and responsible," counseled Paula. "It can be a wonderful experience that adds to your life and relationship. It should never be used for revenge, control, or anything else really, except love."

"Thanks, Mom!" quipped Kate. "I think I'm in love with Gwen's boyfriend. Can he spend the night with me?"

"You know the answer to that one, young lady! We will not be having any young men spending the night with any of our daughters before they are married to them. Believe me, your father will see to that," added Paula.

While Paula and her two younger daughters had been talking, Lisa had been active on her smart phone. Suddenly she burst into laughter.

"Gwen, I just texted your boyfriend with all of your information. I'm just not sure if you're a B cup or a C cup? I don't want to mislead the guy, but he needs to know. So which is it, Gwen?" quizzed Lisa.

"Mom! Lisa can't do that!" cried Gwen. "Nice girls don't tell guys their bra size. Now he thinks I'm some kind of desperate slut. Thanks a lot, Lisa!"

"Sweetheart, you know your sister's teasing you. Remember how she stepped in with Steve when you were temporarily unable to speak to him this evening? You really need to learn to lighten up and laugh a little, as well as to trust your sisters to always be on your side," admonished Paula. "She's definitely a C cup, Lisa. Steve will have no complaints."

"Mom! That's no way to talk in front of your daughters, especially Kate! She's not even 16 yet. You're making it sound like you encourage that sort of behavior, and besides, he'd never complain about "the girls" for any reason," laughed Gwen.

"What happened to our Rhodes Scholar and super nerd?" demanded Kate. "Suddenly she's bragging about her "girls" and how much her date will enjoy them? I think Dad needs to have "the talk" with Gwen instead of Steve."

"Getting back on my original subject," interjected Lisa, "I sent Steve our address and Gwen's phone number, so you may want to keep an eye on your phone for texts, and keep it close enough to hear it ring. Did you know that Dave Kite has appointed himself senior class historian and videographer, Gwen? He's already begun his duties. Not only does he have some great pictures of the game on his "official" senior class Face Book page, but he has a clip of Steve thanking you for agreeing to go to the dance with him on YouTube! It already has 32 views."

"I didn't even know he was there," admitted Gwen. "This is pretty embarrassing."

"Are you kidding, Gwen?" demanded Kate. "How can that be anything but extremely cool? Of course you never noticed Dave Kite. You didn't even know what planet you were on when Steve stopped you in the bleachers. I've seen zombies with better reflexes."

Suddenly Gwen's phone rang. Her face turned red as she answered it while her mother and two sisters watched and listened closely to her side of the conversation.

"Hey. Yeah, we're almost back to Sparta. I suppose six thirty would be good. Nothing too special, I guess. It's in the VFW hall and a benefit, so people won't be in gowns and black ties. I'll wear a nice dress and you can take it from there. On Willow drive, the last house on the right. I was glad to come. We all really enjoyed the game and you were really good. In fact, I think you tricked me with that bet. You knew you'd win that game. Well, if our date helped inspire you, I'm glad we agreed to it. Maybe coach will give me the game ball?" chuckled Gwen. "Okay, see you then."

Gwen finished the call and then turned to her silent, but intent family, and smiled as she shrugged, "Wrong number."

Gwen could not believe how things had gotten out of hand. Her mother's sister, Diane, along with her 16 year old daughter Stephanie, had insisted on "stopping in" at six o'clock. Then Dorothy Fields, her husband Bob, and her daughter Dawn just happen to stop by on their way to the benefit, which wasn't scheduled to begin until seven. On top of that, her mother and father decided that they were going to attend the dance. They hadn't gone to a function like that in forever, and now they had to go? Of course Lisa and Kate were planning on spying on her every move that evening as well. Gwen decided that she just couldn't be any more embarrassed, but she was wrong.

At six thirty, the door bell rang and the living room suddenly became silent. Gwen had been listening to the chatter from her upstairs bedroom as Lisa put the final touches on her coif. The sudden silence, she realized, was very unnerving. How would Steve feel about such an obvious attempt by so many people to give him the "once over"? She heard Kate welcome Steve and then she introduced him to all the characters perched in the living room. Gwen could hear Steve greet each person warmly as he repeated their names. Then it happened.

Gwen's father, normally a very quiet, intellectual sort, decided to give Steve "the talk" right in front of everyone! Gwen loved her Dad, but being a CPA, he was far better with numbers than with people.

"Steve, I understand that you're taking my daughter to the dance because she lost a bet to you. Do you think a woman should have to do something against her will simply because of a foolish wager? I understand that she declined your first request for a date to the dance. How do justify your wager, and placing Gwen in such an awkward situation?" asked Ted Anderson somewhat pompously.

Gwen was certain that Steve would be insulted and leave the house. For her part, she had never been so mortified!

"Dad!" cried Kate.

"It's okay, Kate. Your dad has a good point there. I'll tell you this, sir. I never intended to force Gwen to do anything against her will. I would never do that, unless it was done to save her pain or injury. I asked her out and she declined, but her reasons sounded hollow to me, so I decided to press Gwen a little. I've always heard that faint heart never won fair lady. If Gwen simply tells me that she truly does not want to go with me tonight, I will leave and never bother her again. However, Sir, it is my belief and hope, that Gwen is more than willing to accompany me to the dance. Let's ask her when she comes down, shall we?"

"Okay, son. You stated your case well. We'll do that, but there are a couple other things that you need to know," continued Gwen's father. "You'll never go out with Gwen again if you use alcohol, or tobacco. If I hear that you drive unsafely, you'll lose any privileges I may have allowed. If I learn of any questionable behavior on your part, Gwen will be forbidden from seeing you. Do you understand me?"

By this time Gwen wanted to crawl into a hole and die. She had all she could do to keep from crying as Lisa patted her hand and tried to calm her. Meanwhile, Paula was horrified. What had gotten into her normally quiet and reserved husband? She struggled to find words to diffuse the situation. What a way for a young man to be treated the first time he meets a girl's parents!

"Sir, I respect your conditions and will abide by them without hesitation," replied Steve calmly as he extended his hand to Ted Anderson. "You've done an incredible job raising your daughters and I will do nothing to bring dishonor or harm to any of them, and especially to Gwen. You have my word."

Ted Anderson beamed as he shook Steve's hand. It was always best to clear the air in the beginning, before any misunderstandings occur. He had taken the bull by the horns and laid the foundation for his daughter's well being. It was only as he looked for admiration on the faces of the other folks in the room that he sensed something may have been awry. The silence has almost deafening. Paula forced a smile as she offered everyone more coffee.

That was the scene as Lisa descended the stairs and loudly cleared her throat. All eyes turned to her as she moved to her father and hugged him.

"Dad, if we weren't so sure that you really loved us, we'd think you were trying to ruin our lives sometimes. As long as Steve so graciously accepted your conditions, I want everyone to turn their attention to the stairway. Prepare to have your breath taken away. I give you Miss Gwen Anderson!"

Gwen had never been so embarrassed in her life. Her anger allowed her to lose her jitters. She would give her father a "speaking to" of her own tomorrow! As she reached the bottom of the stairs, the silence made her stop thinking about her father, and the embarrassment he had caused. Gwen looked around and saw jaws hanging everywhere. Tears were rolling down her mother's cheeks. Kate was holding her hands to her mouth. Then she looked at Steve.

He made no effort to conceal his appreciation as he stood nearly transfixed. Gwen could see his eyes move over her body and it excited her. It was far different than when the boys at school stared at her chest or made suggestive remarks. She didn't feel insulted or dirty by the way Steve so obviously enjoyed looking at every inch of her.

As Steve approached Gwen, he looked directly at her, even as he spoke to her father. "Sir, your daughter is incredibly lovely. If she'll agree to accompany me this evening, I promise that I'll do everything in my power to guarantee her safety as well as protect her honor. Gwen, I am releasing you from the wager, but I'm again asking you to go to the dance with me."

Gwen instantly gleaned that Steve was doing everything in his power to placate her father and his insensitive demands. He was actually showing her father more respect than he may have deserved after his tirade a couple minutes prior. With that understanding of Steve's motives, Gwen became more tolerant of her father. A girl's suitor should make an effort to live up to the expectations of her father, shouldn't he?

"Thank you, Dad, for putting this rogue in his place. He can't take advantage as long as I have a father like you looking after me. It's a girl's prerogative to change her mind, however. I've reconsidered my previous decision. I would be pleased to be your date for the evening, Steve."

Gwen's response to Steve opened the flood gates. Suddenly everyone was laughing and talking. Paula was hugging a very smug husband as she wiped the tears from her eyes. Kate produced her camera and insisted that Gwen and Steve pose for a few pictures. Of course, everyone else quickly took advantage of the situation and used their camera phones to capture the moment.

Gwen's aunt Diane hugged her and then hugged Steve as she whispered to both of them. "That was some of the fastest thinking I've seen in a long time. You saved Ted from a very bad moment. I think Paula was considering pouring hot coffee on his head, but you two made him look good. I'm impressed!"

It was Dorothy Fields that loudly stated what everyone had been thinking a few seconds later. "Gwen, you are absolutely stunning! I've never seen a more beautiful woman, and in that dress, it's pretty apparent that you're all woman. You have to be the best looking couple this town has ever seen!"

As soon as things calmed down, Paula watched Gwen take Steve's hand and tug him toward the door. It was a small gesture, but it reassured Paula that Gwen was finally in control of her thoughts when she was near Steve. As the door closed, Lisa hugged her mother and wiped away tears that found their way down her cheek.

"Mother, did you see how beautiful Gwen was? I had to talk her into wearing my red dress. Now I'll never be able to wear it again after seeing how she looks in it. She's been working out, Mom. The dress was a little loose in her waist and tight in the bosom! My little sister sure has grown up and I'm so happy for her. Let's hurry up and get to that dance. I need to find out if I can still break hearts. Gwen's made me feel old and ugly all of a sudden."

"Steve, I'm sorry about my Dad," began Gwen as soon as Steve pulled out of their driveway. "He heard us talking about the bet and somehow came to the conclusion that I was going against my will. He felt that since I had declined once, it should have been the end of it. He's a pretty good father, but he doesn't always understand the women in his life."

"Gwen, I think you should be proud of your dad. I admire how direct and to the point he was. He made it pretty clear what was expected from me when I dated you. As far as I'm concerned, he did exactly what a good father should do. There is nothing to apologize for, and a lot to be proud of, if you ask me. You have a wonderful family."

Gwen was surprised both by Steve's response to her apology and his declaration that she had a great family. She thought it over and realized that she'd never given much thought to how lucky she was to have the family she did. Lisa had loaned her the red dress and spent hours helping her prepare for her first real date. What more could you ask from a big sister? Gwen also realized that she knew almost nothing about Steve and really needed to learn more. It then occurred to her that was the very reason people dated. Maybe she had underestimated its value.

Steve had spent some time with Jim Archer in an effort to know what to expect at the benefit dance. It was important to Steve that he make friends and be accepted in his new town. He didn't want to ruin things because he didn't understand customs in the area. He felt as prepared as he could be for what he expected to be a very memorable evening.

As Gwen and Steve entered the VFW hall, a tall thin girl approached Gwen and hugged her as she looked at Steve. She wore a forced smile and appeared to be intimidated by Steve.

"Gwen, I saw the YouTube spot and still had a little trouble believing this. You're making all of your friends proud. You look like a fashion model and your date is incredible. I guess you'll be sitting with the jocks from now on. Bev, Mark, Barry and I are sitting over by that wall, so stop in and say "hey" if you get the chance."

"Charlotte, this is Steve Hammer. Steve, meet Charlotte DeVries. She'll be in our English class. She's really funny. She makes any class fun. I don't know where we'll be sitting, Charlotte. Steve and I haven't given it a thought yet, but I guess we'd better now," replied Gwen while nervously looking at Steve.

"Gwen, I'd be happy to sit with your friends, if there's room for us. Remember that I'm new here and haven't met anyone but the guys on the football team. I see plenty of them in the showers and on the practice field. If there's no room for us, could you at least introduce me to them?" replied Steve.

"The showers, Steve?" asked Charlotte as she arched her eyebrows several times. "Maybe you can help me find the man of my dreams. I could tell you what I'm looking for, and you could tell me who, if anyone, fits the bill."

"Charlotte! You can't expect Steve to help you with that! You'll just have to interview them the old fashioned way," laughed Gwen.

"In case you haven't noticed, Gwen, I'm not exactly beating them off with a stick. I can't suddenly show up with a tiny red dress that shows off all sorts of treats that men like in women. I'm stuck with these," lamented Charlotte as she briefly hefted her small breasts. "I haven't conducted any "interviews" yet in my entire high school career and it doesn't look like that's going to change. That is unless you introduce me to your fairy god mother that transformed you from our conservative valedictorian to a smokin' hot seductress."

"Do I look bad, Charlotte? I trust you to be honest. I was worried about wearing this dress, but Lisa insisted that it looked good. Do I look cheap, or foolish?" questioned Gwen quickly.

"Gwen, you may look like a million bucks, but you're still working through those insecurities, aren't you? You're the classiest looking girl I've ever known and you look great tonight. Don't ask me again because if this were a movie, I'd be the sarcastic, skinny friend that's thrown into the mix for comic relief. I can't keep reassuring you all the time. God, I wish I had your problems!"

Gwen's friends were deep in conversation when she and Steve approached the table. Charlotte called to them, "Hey, guys! Get a load of Gwen, as if you need any encouragement. I want you all to meet Steve Hammer. He's my date for the night, so you boys had better behave or he'll break you in half. Don't be sneaking any feels of my assets."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.