The Waifs - Cover

The Waifs

Copyright© 2013 by Invid Fan

Chapter 15

Every living soul on the Liberty was gathered on the bridge. The holographic navigation sphere had been turned off, the entire three storey curved front wall now a view screen. Displayed on it ... the colony ship.

"Gods..." Don couldn't keep his eyes off of it.

When man had first come to this system, he had arrived in a half dozen large, rotating cylinders, habitats able to withstand the voyage of almost a century, delivering hundreds of thousands of colonists to the waiting virgin planets. Generations had grown up in them during the journey, and even more had come into their own on them as mankind slowly terraformed the planets and moons of the inner solar system. As those challenges were solved, the ships were moved outward, to provide bases from which the outer gas giants, almost miniature solar systems in their own right, could be conquered. Now they sat in their third life, as space ports and hubs of trade. Living relics of what man could do. They had been named after mythological cities and empires of the old world. Babylon, Atlantis, Cairo, Rome, Hollywood ... and London.

The Liberty slowly approached the docking end of the London. The thirty kilometer long cylinder, rotating just fast enough to provide one g on its inner surface, originally had a massive airlock on the front, into which entire space ships would pass before either unloading cargo, or proceeding through the inner doors into the heart of the station. With its days as a spaceship now over, and permanently in orbit around Hikaru, an outer docking ring had been added around the outer edge of the front. Over a hundred ships could match speed with the rotation and dock, and there had been talk of removing the engine and repeating the process at the other end. Given how tough and robust the ancestors had made this star traveler, though, it could take centuries to achieve that feat even in a time of peace...

Under the control of the station docking computer, the Liberty slowly slipped into its mooring ring. Clamps adjusted to the shape of the ship, and with a shudder the Liberty became one with the station. The ship's gravity deactivated, and all on board felt real gravity take hold as they rotated with the station. An enclosed causeway extended and attached to the ship ... and they were here.


If any form of democracy existed among the teens, they would have voted to all immediately rush off the Liberty. Over two months in deep space was far too long: Don himself vowed that next time they'd plan things better. Hell, it would have been easier it seemed to just stay still and let the planet come to them rather than to chase it down in its orbit on the other side of the sun. But, the delivery job just completed had demanded it, and with that done they now had enough money to last them almost a year.

Unless the females did the shopping.

The main hatch opened, and Don led the first group of tourists onto the causeway towards the waiting Dockmaster. This was a Rebel station, which somewhat determined some of the choices, but mostly Don picked those he wanted to travel with. Lessa, naturally, which meant Shelly, Bell and Bella. Ger, who Don had truly come to rely on to keep the shuttles going, and who now apparently had two almost twelve year old girls tagging along with him, Wendi and Sirenia. Although, Wendi seemed to be more interested in walking close to Lessa ... Sean, as he'd be needed in a moment, and his boy toy Vince. That unfortunately meant that Kine and his sister had to stay on board, as there was no way Don was leaving the ship without either Sean OR Kine on board. Hanna was also with them, with her companion Jenny. That made an even dozen, if his math was correct.

Any more, and this excursion might be unlucky.

The Dockmaster, a rather friendly looking woman in her early thirties, welcome them as they approached. Noting their apparent hierarchy, she looked at Don.

"Do you have papers?"

Don nodded at Sean, who stepped forward and with his right hand presented her with a plastic card, along with some papers and something round and heavy held between them. His Guard ring was clearly visible. The Dockmaster's eyes widened a bit, and she gave the group a closer look. Don smiled.

"We're just here to get some shopping done, and rest. We're hoping it'll be a peaceful vacation." He put his arm around the now somewhat obviously pregnant Lessa, and the woman noting her condition gave Lessa a warm smile. Bouncing the papers in her hand to get a feel for the weight of the hidden coin, the Dockmaster took the card and swiped it into a console next to a 'no weapons allowed' sign and hit some buttons. The coin slipped unobtrusively into her pocket with practiced grace, the rest handed back to Sean.

"Welcome to London."


The train broke out of the tunnel into the heart of the station, bringing gasps from those inside. It was one thing to know what to expect, but to SEE it...

They were traveling along the inner wall of the massive cylinder, its sides curving up and over them. Buildings, trees, parks, lakes ... all spread out before, and above, them. Sirenia was fascinated, ignoring their immediate surroundings and only looking up. It was just so ... impossible! The inner surface was divided into three long segments stretching the length of the station, alternating with three bright thin equally long artificial suns which lighted the land opposite them. There were regular gaps in the suns where train tracks crossed to connect the three habitable segments.

To think, Sirenia thought, we can do this as well as destroy...


A short time later the teens exited the train and stood in the middle of a village. Small shops and restaurants dotted the street, various couples and families wandering between them. Shelly looked them over, and gave a laugh.

"Nice day for a stroll, it seems."

Don chuckled, then looked over the group.

"Our first decision for the day. Do we divide up and go where we will, or do we stick together for awhile?"

"I say we walk together," Lessa said, holding his hand. "See what's around before we scatter." There was general agreement, so picking a direction at random they started off.

After a few minutes, as they stopped to look in a shop window at some jewelry, Don noticed Hanna standing next to him with Jenny. Hanna wore a light, long blue dress while Jenny had a battered t-shirt that bared her tummy, and faded torn jeans. Something was obviously on their mind, so Don waited.

"Don," Hanna finally started, as the others began to wander down to the next store. "I ... I mean, we ... we may want to stay here." Don wasn't surprised by this. She wasn't one of them, however accepted they'd tried to make her feel. The rest of the group, on hearing this, stopped. Vince took a step back towards her with a look of despair on his face.

"But who's going to make those shirts I like for me?!?"

"Hopefully, nobody," grumbled Sean, rolling his eyes. Don had to agree, as the teen's taste in outfits was horrible. His current lime green and orange ensemble was no exception. Don waved off that objection without even looking back, giving the pair a speculative look.

"You're naturally free to go anytime and make a new life. Was ... was it anything we did?"

"No," Hanna said, smiling and shaking her head. "It's just..." she took Jenny's hand. "I can't do that anymore. I need to be in a town or city. I want to start a life." Don glanced at Jenny, who nodded.

"I'll take care of her. Between what she's extorted from the fashion fiends and my cut of the last job, we can easily set up here, or elsewhere."

"When you finally decide," Don said, "let us know. We'll miss you." He turned, and the group continued its ambling journey. He could hear Ger fall back and try, half seriously, to talk his favorite mechanic and ex-lover out of it. Nobody had abandoned the ship yet. Once the first defection occurred, though ... Don had a sneaking suspicion it would lead to a larger exodus.

So long as Lessa stayed by his side, he honestly didn't care.


Walking slightly behind Don and Lessa, Sirenia was casting glances back at Ger. She bit her lip.

"I think I'm going to start mechanic training once we get back," she muttered to Wendi. Her friend just sighed.

"Yeah, that's a good plan." Wendi gazed again at Lessa's form in front of her. The woman was such a warrior! Wendi tried to match that gait, and noticed, despite being unarmed, Lessa's free hand was always near where her holster would normally be. Maybe ... she could get up the guts to ask to be trained by her. If she couldn't do that, she didn't deserve to become a warrior herself. Her expression hardened. She'd do it ... later.


They stopped at a couple stores, not buying much yet. Jenny found a set of four earrings that she wanted to get for Hanna, the younger girls not understanding why she blushed so much when Jenny whispered in her ear. Sure, her ears currently only had two piercings, but surely she could find places for new holes for the other two golden rings...

After an hour they stopped at an outdoor cafe (although, technically everything here was 'indoors'), pulled a couple tables together and ordered lunch. Sirenia found herself once again looking up at the sky.

"How can you do that," Bella asked, shaking her head. "I'm trying to ignore it. It's like the whole thing's going to fall down on us!"

"Wimp!"

That brought a laugh from everyone, but Sirenia was already back to looking up. So much to see ... she heard rather then saw Don asking Sean why he'd taken off his Guard ring already, since this was a Rebel world. Her attention had been captured by movement back towards the docking end of the station. Some thing ... things ... were in the middle, zero gravity portion of the cylinder. They were flowing out of the huge open airlock, moving quickly down the center of the station...

Sirenia's body went cold.

"Don!" Her hand shot out, and grabbed Don's sleeve. She pointed upwards. "Why are there warships up there?!?"

Don looked up, and his eyes went wide. He shot to his feet, chair clattering to the ground.

"Binoculars, anyone!"

Both Lessa and Sean had pairs in their hand instantly. Don quickly grabbed Lessa's while Sean raised his. Both quickly focused on the onrushing craft.

"Federation!" hissed Sean. "How?! Where are the alar..."

He was interrupted by the sound of muffled bangs, and the smoke trails of rising rockets could be seen coming from points all over the inner surface of the station heading towards the invading ships. Dozens of smaller trails shot out from the ships, explosions filling the sky. The sound of them arrived a moment later. As the lead ship passed overhead, it let out a roar and a massive volley of fire. The train station where they had just been exploded. The teens dropped to the ground, shocked. Smoke and small clumps of dirt and metal rained down on them, their path unexpected due to the rotation of the ground beneath them. Other explosions could be heard and felt all over.

Lessa regained her composure first, looking first at Don, making sure he was OK, then over at Sean. She saw Sean's hand coming from his pants pocket and putting his ring back on.

"We have to get weapons," she said, getting to her hands and knees, "then get back to the ship." Ger had his communicator out, and after a moment looked at her shaking his head.

"They're jamming, naturally. We don't even know if the Liberty is still there."

"No time to think that far ahead," Don said, and he pointed upwards. Small craft were spiraling down from the warships towards the surface.

Troop ships.

"Everyone up!" Sean yelled. He helped Vince to his feet, the gaudily dressed teen scared shitless.

They all were.


Picking a direction away from the nearest landing ship but towards the docks, Lessa and Sean led the other ten quickly through the yelling, panicking locals. After a few moments Lessa led them off the road, through yards and parks, jumping fences while being wary of large, open spaces. Lessa used her binoculars to get a look at the land over their head, hoping it was similar to what lay unseen right in front of them. They'd need every advantage they could get.

They came around a corner, skidding to a stop. Before them gathered a few dozen adults, half in Rebel uniforms, half not, surrounding a square opening in the ground. One of them quickly had a rifle pointed at the newcomers, but an unfazed Sean raised the back of his hand, showing the ring as he calmly walked forward.

"Guardsmen! We need to arm! Can you spare something?"

A smartly dressed middle aged man stepped out of the group and motioned for his soldier to lower his weapon. He looked at Sean, who stood confidently before him.

"Can you all fight?" He glanced at the young women in the group.

"Yes, but does it matter?"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.