The Waifs - Cover

The Waifs

Copyright© 2013 by Invid Fan

Chapter 10

There is a limit to how long some can withdraw into themselves, wallow in self pity, and ignore the world around them. For Shelly she lasted around a quarter of an hour, sitting on the overturned cart in the middle of the shuttle bay, seeing everything and nothing. She had been the one to want to rescue people. She had wanted to risk everyone's lives in her desire to do good. She had gotten friends killed...

It was the crying of the little girl that broke her out of it. Someone was asking for their mommy, and Shelly raised her red eyes to look over at Lessa's shuttle. Where was Lessa? She didn't know. What she did know was a child was crying for help, and staggering to her feet Shelly moved in that direction.

The five survivors Lessa and Kine had returned with were sitting on crates beside the vehicle that had saved them. The oldest, almost an adult, sat with a three year old boy asleep in her lap. She wore an old orange robe, her shoulder length blond hair tangled and filthy. When she looked up at Shelly, she could just see the utter exhaustion in the woman's eyes. Sitting on either side of her were two boys, probably around six and eight Shelly guessed, wearing oversized t-shirts. One of the twins ... Bella? was looking them over as they drank something hot, the older boy flinching as she put salve on his burned arm. Standing off to the side was the girl crying for her mommy. She had curly black hair, the shirt she wore reaching her knees. Her eyes were clenched shut, and Shelly's heart just broke. She went and knelt beside the girl.

"Shh ... hush. What's your name?"

The girl sniffed and opened her eyes. Shelly lifted the bottom of the girl's shirt up and wiped her face, giving her most friendly smile as the girl tried to answer.

"Ma ... Mari. With an 'i'." She sniffed again.

"Hello, Mari. I'm Shelly, with two eyes, and nose, and a mouth."

"No!" the girl said, emotions switching over to indignant frustration. "My name has an 'i' in it!"

"Oh, so it's one of those seeing names!"

"Noo! It has the LETTER I in it!"

"I see," Shelly said, not smiling. "So, Mari, how old are you?"

"I'm eight. Where's my mommy?"

Shelly looked over at the older teen, and saw the woman's eyes meet hers as she slowly shook her head. She looked back at the girl.

"She's not here. None of us have our mommies or daddies with us."

Mari's eyes widened.

"NONE of you?!?" The very idea shocked the poor girl. To not have mommies or daddies! It took only a moment, though, for the bright girl to suddenly make a connection. Her small hands shot to her mouth, as if she was afraid speaking the words aloud would make her fears come true.

"Then ... if I'm here ... then ... mommy ... daddy..." Shelly reached out and pulled the girl to her as the crying began again. She held her tight, stroking her head and back, cooing. Getting uncomfortable, Shelly stood and sat on a box, pulling Mari up onto one of her knees. Mari lay her head on Shelly's breast, still sobbing, and Shelly began to rock. Feeling weight on her other leg, Shelly looked up and saw the smaller boy climbing up into her lap as well. The blond haired boy looked up at her as Shelly's free arm went around him.

"I'm Andy. I'm five."

"Hello, Andy!" The boy put his own head on her other breast, and Shelly had to give a laugh at that. He was a fast one, he was! Even Rich had waited a full day before pulling that one! She squeezed both of the children, rocking and cooing gently. The remaining boy came over and stood in front of Shelly, leaning forward, hands on her knees.

"I'm Andy's brother. Randy. I'm seven."

Shelly smiled at him, wishing she had more arms. It felt so ... good to have these kids in her lap. Mari had stopped crying, and was drying her eyes on Shelly's breast. Catching some motion in the corner of her eye, Shelly looked up and saw Sirenia coming over with a cart full of food and drink. The eleven year old redhead stopped in front of them and gave a weak, weary smile.

"Are they hungry?"

Randy turned, his jaw almost falling to the floor as he looked at the older girl in front of him. She had pale, almost white, skin, covered by a black half shirt with thin straps and a black skirt. Her dark red hair fell down her back in a long braid, her large green eyes gazing at him questioningly.

"You're pretty!" Randy blurted out. Shelly chuckled as red quickly rose to Sirenia's startled face, Randy's face turning a similar shade. Well, that romantic pairing was settled on! Still laughing, Shelly told Sirenia to start stuffing food into the kids.


Amanda just sat against the wall in her brother's arms. They hadn't said anything since he had left the shuttle, her joy at having him back and his need for comfort not requiring words. She nestled against him, Kine gently rubbing her bare arm in reply.

She was glad she had gotten to Kine before Irene had. It was only right that he find his comfort with her, his sister, and not some skanky "girlfriend". Then again, maybe Irene was letting her have this time with him. She did seem to have been trying to be nice to the girl as of late. Maybe Amanda was too hard on her. She could TRY and give Irene a chance...

... but, wasn't Irene suppose to have been on Kine's ship?

Not moving her head, Amanda scanned the rest of the bay. There was Sean, over there. Lessa she had already seen although she was now gone. So, where was...

Oh, god.

Slowly, Amanda turned her head and looked up at Kine. His eyes were red, although the tears had mostly stopped. His gaze seemed to have no focus, but sensing her he looked down and gave a weak smile. His arm tightened around her.

Amanda's breathing quickened. Oh, gods ... Irene was ... and Amanda had wished it! She closed her eyes. She had wished the girl dead so she could have her brother to herself! And! No ... no, she hadn't caused this. That was stupid. Just like she had been stupid. Stupid to be jealous just because her brother also wanted a friend his own age. It wasn't like SHE was going to sleep with him! He needed playmates too, just like she had Sirenia and Wendi. And, now...

Amanda reached a hand up and stroked her brother's cheek.

"Oh, Kine ... did ... did you love her?"

Knowing nothing of his little sister's inner turmoil, or that it had taken her this long to discover his loss, he sighed.

"I ... don't know. In some ways, yes, but ... well. She did love me, though. She told me, just before we left." He looked off into the distance again. "Nobody had ever said that before. Not and meant it the way she did, that is."

"I love you." Amanda said it softly, and Kine looked down at her and smiled, leaning down to kiss her forehead.

"And I love you."

A slight shadow covered them, both looking up to see Mel standing a meter away. Her brown fatigues had dark read splotches on them, although she looked unharmed, and her shaved head almost sparkled from the lights reflecting off the sweat. She was giving Kine a nervous, uncertain look.

"Are you doing OK, Kine?"

"Yeah..." He sighed, and banged his head back against the bulkhead. Deciding that hadn't worked, he did it again. "I've been better, obviously, but I'll be OK." Kine looked up and cocked his head at her. "What's up?"

"Nothing," she said, quickly, shaking her head. She brought both her hands up, revealing three squeeze bottles. "I was just wondering if you two needed something to drink."

Kine smiled, a warm smile, and reaching up took two of them, handing one to Amanda. He motioned to the empty space next to him on the floor.

"Care to join us, Mel?"

Her cheeks flushing slightly, Mel nodded and slid down next to him. Shoulders touching, their hands found themselves near each other. After a moment, their fingers touched.

Amanda was too lost in her own thoughts to notice.


Shelly lay in the darkness of her cabin. She was tired. The newcomers were all set in their quarters for the night, well fed, bathed, and clothed. For now the woman, Hanna she thought her name was, was with the four kids in one room, although she hadn't been too happy about that. They were obviously together through accident of fate and not any emotional ties. The four boys Sean had saved were also bunking together, and Shelly thought at least two of them were a couple. Understandable. You found comfort where you could in a place like that.

Speaking of comfort, she hadn't seen Lessa. Shelly had thought maybe she'd be here in the cabin, recovering, but that wasn't so. Didn't matter. She had to be somewhere. Shelly shifted on the bed, naked on top of her sheets. She thought of pleasuring herself, finding comfort there, but was too emotionally drained even for that. Too much going on for petty things like...

The cabin door opened, revealing Lessa. She flipped the lights on as she stepped inside. Shelly sat up, shielding her eyes from the glare, Lessa immediately apologizing and dimmed them as she closed the door. Shelly squinted at her friend, eyes adjusting. There was something odd about her. She was carrying her jacket and gun belt for one thing. That was weird. As Lessa walked over to a chair and tossed the two items into it, Shelly saw a dim flash of gold from around her neck. Hmm, that almost looked like...

Shelly's heart went cold.

"Where have you been."

Lessa's head jerked around at the coldness of Shelly's voice. There was surprise and ... worry in her face. That told the dark haired teen all she needed to know. Shelly stood quickly, her breasts bouncing slightly in the lower gravity they kept the ship at.

"What did YOU DO!?" Shelly all but shouted. Lessa's eyes showed confusion, hurt, but then they hardened as she stood up straight. She almost thrust out her chest to show off the locket between her breasts.

"I was with Don."

She said it proudly.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.