Audition Notice - Cover

Audition Notice

 

Chapter 11

We talked a little longer. Kevin told us that the man Maggie was married to was a little rough, not leaving any marks you could see.

Amy and Kevin held each other for a very long time. We left for our place.

She called and found her mother at home, asking if we could come by. It was late, but Maggie must've said yes.

We got there, and she opened the door. Maggie must've been looking out the window for us.

We all sat around the dining table. Amy and I were next to each other while Maggie was across from us.

"Margaret, would it be all right if I initiated this conversation?"

She nodded her head, but seemed nervous.

"From everything that I've heard and picked up on, you've had at least three men in your life, is that correct?"

She got a look on her face that clearly made my supposition correct.

"There was the man you married, Mr. Tolliver. You lived together for a while, he beat you, and then he died or left you. Is that correct?"

"How did you..."?

"Margaret, I am an analyst. I get data and extrapolate. What happened to Mr. Tolliver, if you care to tell us?"

"We met, had a whirlwind romance, and got married. That was when he started ... started to ... hit me. He didn't mean to; he just got angry easily. He was loving and tender in bed, but he got mad really easily. He went to work each day, and all I did was clean house and make meals for him. If he didn't like something, he would yell and sometimes even shake me."

"So, what happened to him, Mom?" Amy asked probably terrified to find out what happened.

"He was running to catch a plane to Milwaukee. He slipped on the ice and a cab ... a cab hit him killing him instantly. When the police came to tell me, they saw marks on my shoulders. They had a policewoman talk to me and take some pictures of me."

After all of that was settled, I met Kevin at a theatre event. He was playing the part of Boris Kolenkhov in a production of 'You Can't Take it With You'. We seemed to have an instant chemistry between us, but he was moving to New York, because he got an offer for a leading role. He didn't ask me to go with him; I didn't ask if I could go. We had maybe four weeks together. He was so tender and loving, then he left!"

"Two weeks later, I felt unwell. I went to a doctor and found out I was pregnant. While waiting in the doctor's office, I met a nice gentleman. We exchanged phone numbers, and we started to date. Inevitably, that turned to love, and marriage. I'm certain that the man that was killed by the cab was your father, he and I raised you Amy Tolliver."

"Go back a minute, Margaret," I said. "You said that Tolliver was Amy's father, but couldn't have Kevin been her father just as easily?"

"Now that you say that, I guess it's ... possible. I don't think it's likely," she answered.

Amy got up and walked around to hug her mother. "Michael, if she says Tolliver was my father ... that's good enough for me. Kevin cares for both of us. Mom, can we bring Kevin over for dinner sometime?"

Tears started rolling down Maggie's face, "Yes, I would like that. I even remember his favorite dinner."

"How about next Monday night?" Amy asked.

"All right, I need to go shopping for some things I don't have," she said perking up a bit.

"By the way, Maggie," I said, "Why don't you come to the theatre and watch our run-through for the Theatre Board tonight. They could use someone to let them know that it has funny moments, as well as being provocative and has nudity."

"Nudity!" she shot back. "Which one of you is nude?"

"Well, your daughter flashes the audience a couple of times, and I go topless a lot myself. There is another moment that I want you to see unprepared."

"Amy flashes the audience ... my demure beautiful daughter, shows her tits?"

"Mother, I've become more adventurous since I met and moved in with Michael. I'm unlocking my exhibitionist inside me. There's more than my boobs and Michael walking around without a shirt. Please come and see it?"

"I remember when you got the lead in Glass Menagerie. You played Laura back then, didn't you?"

"Yes, I was just starting high school and because of your support, I tried out for the play. I didn't think I had a chance for a role, but I was cast as Laura. I memorized every word before the first rehearsal. I didn't realize that everyone didn't do that. I learned how community theatre that summer. Mom helped me learn my vocal cues, and I loved it. I was so scared each night during the run, but as soon as the houselights lowered and the stage lights came up, I became Laura Wingfield."

"Michael, she was so good; I tried to talk her into going to college for an acting degree," Maggie followed up.

"Well, Maggie," I said, "She is amazing in the play; she understands her character better than I do. Please come to see it. You'll be shocked a little, but a 'good' shocked."

"My baby, my little girl has always been amazing, Michael. You've just met her. To finish up what we started talking about, I should admit ... that I was pregnant once before you Amy."

"What?"

"It wasn't with Tolliver, it was the year before. My father told me to have the baby, but it would be given away. He insisted so I did. I have no idea whatever happened to the little boy."

"He could still be alive?" Amy asked.

"I suppose so, but I never had the energy or finances to find him. I do remember Daddy telling me that a nice childless couple got him," Maggie said breaking down again.

Turning to me with tearful eyes, Amy said, "I have a brother! Somewhere, out there ... I have a brother."

"Amy, as soon as our play is over; I'll help you find him—I promise you. We need to stay focused for right now, we have a Board of Directors to appease tonight," I said.

"See you later, Maggie. Bring some tissue—you will need it!"

She came over to me and said, "You sure seem to love my little girl. I think I'm falling for you as well, Michael."

She gave me a little kiss on the cheek, wiping it off as quickly as she applied it. "Knock em dead!"

Amy dragged me out of there, as we got in our car and headed home. I was tired and wanted to catch a few Z's.

I woke up well rested, as did my partner. We got up; showered, then Amy made us lunch. She insisted actually, to get her in her character's mindset.

After lunch, we started running lines, when the phone rang. It was Kevin.

"Hello, this is the last man on Earth speaking," I said.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.