The Junior Deputy U.S. Marshals. 7 in STOPWATCH
Chapter 14

Copyright© 2012 by Old Man with a Pen

The British refer to the Pioneer as the single Pin, the twin Pioneer is the Twin Pin. Bill and E'veen never did succeed in getting a Twin. There was no longer any need.

The single Pin is not your Ford Van, the seats are bolted nicely to the floor and it's American or British Grade Eights ... none of the new Chinese made junk that are mostly fives or less ... The bolts they are installed with unbolt, but it's not a lever pull and a push and tilt to get the seats out. Then too, it's not exactly a short aircraft. Seat removal starts at the tall end and works it's way back to the tail ... on a rather steep angle. The seats are single file too ... even then it's a tight fit. Fortunately, she's not a biplane so there's not a wing in the way of a ladder or a forklift.

The best way to load or unload is to raise the tail until the floor is level and do your business using the built in hold downs and ratchet straps. But it was just Bill, E'veen and a forklift doing the lifting. They had to do it the hard way. Oh yeah, stand up room? Forget that ... the single Pioneer is a crouch to even get in a seat.

The Pioneer has an interesting landing gear. The longer the wait between flights the lower the gear collapses. Once it's rolling the hydraulics warm up and the gear fully extends. Museum pictures show this trait but the angle between the ground and the belly of the plane is much greater if the Single Pin is used often. Their Pin was used a lot.

On the days the east Texas wind blew, Bill and E'veen loved to go to the airport and fly. Although there are records of three foot takeoffs, the best they had ever done was one using the WIDTH of the runway and not the length. Their shortest landing, in a stiff breeze, was 60 feet. The huge wing and monster flaps and full length slats made it possible to fly backwards.

The once a year Tyler Airshow loved them ... and the single Pin is a warbird ... just not an American warbird.

"I want to try a carrier landing," Bill once told E'veen, "I wonder how we can do that?"

"It's been done," she said.

"Aw, rats."

"Yeah, heck and shuckydarn."

They both broke up at E'veen's use of that particular expletive.

It took later than noon to get the extra 165 gallons of gas in barrels and the first seat reinstalled. They were exhausted.

The phone played their ringtone, "The Star Spangled Banner."

"Sutherland."

"Pounds Field."

"Yup."

"We just got the extra fuel and seat installed."

"I know what you said and we're doing it as fast as a couple on vacation would."

"Can't be helped, as it is we'll have to refuel in San Angelo."

"Nope... 400 miles and it's 650 to the ranch."

"We've been wondering if there's fuel left in the caves?"

"Can you find out?"

"No cell service?"

"There was ... not now?"

"You're telling me to go."

"Yes, Sir."

Bill hung up.

"Sup?" asked E'veen.

"There's no cell service."

"There was."

"Observation satellite stopped sending just as the ranch was breaking into view."

"Not good." E'veen was looking worried.

"Camera drone stopped sending pictures ten miles from the ranch ... didn't come back either." Bill said, "it just keeps getting better, the Air Force has sent recon out ... they haven't come back."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.